The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by tazza ma razza
Jan 15 ial

AN EXAMPLE OF CODING

A ninth year is added to the data set. In this year the price of the bottle of milk
is 46 pence and the price of a loaf of bread is 175 pence.
(e) Without further calculation, state whether the value of the product moment correlation
coefficient will increase, decrease or stay the same when all nine years are used.
Give a reason for your answer.

I just did this question, in the data, the price for bread is the same BUT the value of bread increases so it will change as it doesn't follow a correlation anymore
Reply 681
Original post by not_lucas1
Haven't had enough time to revise this, i messed up my revision schedule spending the majority of my time on physics and computing which dont even count this year... :/

You'll be fine. Just make sure to memorise the formulas which aren't given.
Original post by hogree
That question is not actually coding, that's adding a new value to the Data Set. Since it is further from the Regression Line, the PMCC Decreases.

Original post by Mr T Pities You
This question is not on coding!

He/She was a bit misleading when they put example on coding aight :/
Any predictions?
Original post by sgill23
In discrete random variables if it asks for F(3.5) and the X is between 3 and 4. Which would you use

Remember that F is cumulative probability, so you'll add all probabilities up to and including the one for X=3
(edited 7 years ago)
Jan 2015 IAL Q2 part f,why is it (0.50 by 0.25 by 0.25)3 rather than (0.75 by 0.25 by 0.25)3 ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iKfLNIO4P4OXpSdUR0bmNkMEU/view
Original post by Kadak
Jan 2015 IAL Q2 part f,why is it (0.50 by 0.25 by 0.25)3 rather than (0.75 by 0.25 by 0.25)3 ?

You need the other one to be a pass and not a merit. Your 0.75 would include merits and passes so you just want the 0.5 (ie a pass but not a merit)
Remember that F is cumulative probability, so you'll add all probabilities up to and including the one for X=3

So you don't include the X=4
You basically round the 3.5 down and add up all values like X= 1,2 and 3
Original post by sgill23
So you don't include the X=4
You basically round the 3.5 down and add up all values like X= 1,2 and 3

Yep, even if it was F(3.9998) you would round down and add up the ones up to 3.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kadak

Ooof.. nasty question.

You've got the two right for merit (as you can see :tongue:) but think about what it actually means for someone to pass but not get a merit.

Not sure how the mark scheme did it, but I used interpolation and got the right answer.
what are the formulas that aren't given?!?

i thought it was only standard deviation/variance?
Reply 692
Original post by 4nonymous
Not sure how the mark scheme did it, but I used interpolation and got the right answer.

show ur working please
Original post by 4nonymous

IIRC the mark scheme is wrong for this one. Interpolation is the way to go.
Yep, even if it was F(3.9998) you would round down and add up the ones up to 3.

Ok thank you!!!
Original post by SeanFM
Ooof.. nasty question.

You've got the two right for merit (as you can see :tongue:) but think about what it actually means for someone to pass but not get a merit.

How do you go about Q2 part A and B?
Original post by miranda_1998
what are the formulas that aren't given?!?

i thought it was only standard deviation/variance?

I think that's it, although finding quartiles and percentiles could be added.

Think of definitions and what points on box plots represent.
I'm having a last minute panic about quartiles, if n/4, n/2 etc is a whole number eg 5 would you use 5.5th number?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending