The Student Room Group

Aqa religious studies a2 ethics rst3a - free will, virtue ethics, science, et al.

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys this might be extremely last minute (since the exam in tomorrow lmao), but I made a revision guide for virtue ethics and free will, going through the specification in each so its kinda just the basics of what you need to know but hopefully very helpful!

Tell me what you guys think if you get here before the exam!
Hey guys has anyone got any points for the significance of a particular view of human nature for virtue ethics, idk wtf that is lol?
Original post by Shuerer
Hey guys has anyone got any points for the significance of a particular view of human nature for virtue ethics, idk wtf that is lol?

yeah here are a few points for each side of the argument:

Significant:
Virtueethics is more than obeying rules, and is concerned with human nature and thepurpose of life
Weaim to be a better version of ourselves; doing the right thing means the actionthat is done by the virtuous person.
Humanbeings naturally move towards a certain telos, Eudaimonia. This can only beachieved for Aristotle by practicing virtues.

Not very significant:
IrisMurdoch: believed that is there is no general purpose in life, and souniversalising Eudaimonia doesn’t work.
Virtuescan be expressed in different ways, so how do we know we are fulfilling ourpurpose in life: e.g. someone may express love by ending someone’s life,another may want to prolong it for as long as possible. 
Ifour nature is shaped by our culture, then can we be held morally responsiblefor our virtuous actions? Are WE virtuous, or is our culture virtuous? 
Original post by AdeLevel
yeah here are a few points for each side of the argument:

Significant:
Virtueethics is more than obeying rules, and is concerned with human nature and thepurpose of life
Weaim to be a better version of ourselves; doing the right thing means the actionthat is done by the virtuous person.
Humanbeings naturally move towards a certain telos, Eudaimonia. This can only beachieved for Aristotle by practicing virtues.

Not very significant:
IrisMurdoch: believed that is there is no general purpose in life, and souniversalising Eudaimonia doesn’t work.
Virtuescan be expressed in different ways, so how do we know we are fulfilling ourpurpose in life: e.g. someone may express love by ending someone’s life,another may want to prolong it for as long as possible. 
Ifour nature is shaped by our culture, then can we be held morally responsiblefor our virtuous actions? Are WE virtuous, or is our culture virtuous? 

Thanks so much! Do you reckon this will be A01 or A02? I haven't seen any past papers questions except Is Friendship the most important aspect of human nature in Virtue Ethics, another one I could do with some points for pls?

Also thought of some points for human nature, as MacIntyre said virtue ethics changes over time, this maybe BC Human nature changes. Or is Human nature universal

Also Phillipa foot says human nature focuses too much on pleasure and hedonism
Original post by Shuerer
Thanks so much! Do you reckon this will be A01 or A02? I haven't seen any past papers questions except Is Friendship the most important aspect of human nature in Virtue Ethics, another one I could do with some points for pls?

Also thought of some points for human nature, as MacIntyre said virtue ethics changes over time, this maybe BC Human nature changes. Or is Human nature universal

Also Phillipa foot says human nature focuses too much on pleasure and hedonism

i'm hoping it would be AO2 since writing a 30 marker on that would be quite difficult, it's a lot easier to evaluate each point.

and for the friendship question i would use aristotle and mcintyre to argue that friendship is because they both value community and friendship very highly! not too sure how to argue against this though, i could only think of other things that would be the most important aspect of human nature such as reaching eudaimonia??
i'm hoping it would be AO2 since writing a 30 marker on that would be quite difficult, it's a lot easier to evaluate each point.

and for the friendship question i would use aristotle and mcintyre to argue that friendship is because they both value community and friendship very highly! not too sure how to argue against this though, i could only think of other things that would be the most important aspect of human nature such as reaching eudaimonia??

Do you remember how Philippa Foot said that virtues aren't virtues if used to a bad end, well you could have a bad friendship. For example a friend who is being virtuous by being honest, but what they say hurts your feelings i.e sometimes it's good to not be totally honest

Also Virtue ethics is more agent based and selfish, so unlike Kant or Utilitarianism is there rly any room for friendship?
Original post by Shuerer
Do you remember how Philippa Foot said that virtues aren't virtues if used to a bad end, well you could have a bad friendship. For example a friend who is being virtuous by being honest, but what they say hurts your feelings i.e sometimes it's good to not be totally honest

Also Virtue ethics is more agent based and selfish, so unlike Kant or Utilitarianism is there rly any room for friendship?

Very true actually thanks!
"The application of Virtue Ethics to one issue of the candidate’schoice apart from issues in science and technology"

What do they mean by that? What issues could we apply Virtue Ethics to? Could someone please demonstrate an example?

thank you!
Does anyone have any predictions of what will come up for Free Will & Determinism and Sexual Ethics? I've been self-teaching these units so I'm petrified!
Original post by biankameow
"The application of Virtue Ethics to one issue of the candidate’schoice apart from issues in science and technology"

What do they mean by that? What issues could we apply Virtue Ethics to? Could someone please demonstrate an example?

thank you!

here's a little look of application using business ethics as an example, however this is from the OCR exam board, but still a little guide.

http://a2withkomilla.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/application-of-virtue-theory-to.html
here's a little look of application using business ethics as an example, however this is from the OCR exam board, but still a little guide.

http://a2withkomilla.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/application-of-virtue-theory-to.html

Thank you, this is massive help!

Also how likely do you think they will ask about modern virtue ethics - so Anscombe, McIntyre and Foot? They already had a question on McIntyre and Foot last year and Anscombe is not really on the spec.

Definitely hoping for Aristotle's virtue ethics and something on the vices etc.
Original post by biankameow
Thank you, this is massive help!

Also how likely do you think they will ask about modern virtue ethics - so Anscombe, McIntyre and Foot? They already had a question on McIntyre and Foot last year and Anscombe is not really on the spec.

Definitely hoping for Aristotle's virtue ethics and something on the vices etc.

I really doubt they would do another modern virtue question twice in a row, considering there are three main sections fro virtue ethics and they started in 2014, which means there is only one section left to cover, which is application to an ethical issue!!
Anyone got any predictions for the free will question?
Me and my class have a strong feeling the virtue ethics question will be on applying virtue ethics to an ethical issue!!!

Wow, I think I would be okay with that, it seems very broad and lots to talk about!

Everyone place your bets for tomorrow!! :P xxx
I really doubt they would do another modern virtue question twice in a row, considering there are three main sections fro virtue ethics and they started in 2014, which means there is only one section left to cover, which is application to an ethical issue!!

Fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predictions for sexual ethics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
there is an exemplar material on the aqa site about applying virtue ethics so is it not unlikely it will be on that?

they haven't covered religious perspectives either?
Original post by ARSHKFW
they haven't covered religious perspectives either?

Wait, what do you mean by religious perspectives?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by violetvictorious
Wait, what do you mean by religious perspectives?

Posted from TSR Mobile

quite frankly annoyed it was so simple....... all that speculation for nothing lmao, religious experience now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending