The Student Room Group

Owen Jones embarrasses himself on Sky News debate about Orlando

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
The shooter attacked 50 people for their sexuality: something that you're born with, something you can't change.

Liking music or being linked to public transport is not the same thing. No one gets oppressed for liking music. This was a homophobic attack.

He said he was doing it in the name of ISIS, but since it has emerged that he might himself have been gay, it's most likely that this was a product of his self-hate as a homosexual man.

All this speculation that he was a repressed homosexual is just that: speculation. You are basing it on hearsay. What we do know, and has been confirmed by the authorities, is that he pledged allegiance to ISIS and had links to known Islamic extremists. This was an ISIS-inspired terrorist attacked, plain and simple.
Reply 61
Original post by tanyapotter
Why do you want it to be fuelled by ISIS so badly?

Why are you so determined it wasn't?

His actions before and leading up to it shows he was a supporter.
Original post by Grand High Witch
All this speculation that he was a repressed homosexual is just that: speculation. You are basing it on hearsay. What we do know, and has been confirmed by the authorities, is that he pledged allegiance to ISIS and had links to known Islamic extremists. This was an ISIS-inspired terrorist attacked, plain and simple.

It was a homophobic attack, pure and simple.
Original post by joecphillips
Why are you so determined it wasn't?

His actions before and leading up to it shows he was a supporter.

What's your point?
The attack was specifically targeted against gay people due to a hatred of homosexuality. To claim it's not solely a homophobic attack is nonsense.
Reply 64
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they're not homophobic, the self-hating Jew is a famous stereotype but it's present in any marginalised group. He may have been gay but that doesn't mean he can't have opposed homosexuality and agreed with what IS stand for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Funnily enough Zayn is Bae is a great example of that
Reply 65
Original post by Bornblue
If I attack a black church by myself and say it's in the name of the BNP, it doesn't mean the the BNP did it.

There is no evidence here that the attack was planned, organised or coordinated by IS. If anything it was a disturbed lone wolf inspired by Isis.

This was a man who was a sympathiser of Isis, a group who had called for attacks to take place in a "month of conquest and jihad.” And A U.S. government advisory warned that ISIS attacks, either directly sponsored or simply inspired by the group’s rhetoric, could be carried out during Islam’s month of Ramadan that begins June 5.

A report from the us "According to Islamic practice, sacrifice during Ramadan can be considered more valuable than that made at other times, so a call to martyrdom during the month may hold a special allure to some,”
Reply 66
What's your point?
The attack was specifically targeted against gay people due to a hatred of homosexuality. To claim it's not solely a homophobic attack is nonsense.

An attack with ties to a terrorist organisation wanting to destroy the west, isn't an attack against the west just against certain people.
It was a homophobic attack, pure and simple.

He may have chosen the target based on religiously-inspired homophobia, just as the Paris attackers may have chosen their target based on the "sinfulness" of going to concerts and listening to music. Nonetheless, both the Paris and Orlando attacks were inspired by an overarching Islamic extremism and a political affiliation with ISIS.

So, the correct description is that it was based on Islamist homophobia, the type ISIS is well known for promoting.
(edited 7 years ago)
An attack with ties to a terrorist organisation wanting to destroy the west, isn't an attack against the west just against certain people.

It didn't have ties to Isis really. If one was to go and bomb a shopping centre and claim it was on the name of the IRA with no previous links, the IRA would not be responsible.

This was an attack by a homophobe specifically on gay people because he was homophobic. It wasn't aimed at the west generally, it was aimed at homosexuals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
It didn't have ties to Isis really. If one was to go and bomb a shopping centre and claim it was on the name of the IRA with no previous links, the IRA would not be responsible.

This was an attack by a homophobe specifically on gay people because he was homophobic. It wasn't aimed at the west henerally, it was aimed at homosexuals.

Ok he has absolutely no links to Islamic terrorism you know better than what has been said.
He may have chosen the target based on religiously-inspired homophobia, just as the Paris attackers may have chosen their target based on the "sinfulness" of going to concerts and listening to music. Nonetheless, both the Paris and Orlando attacks were inspired by an overarching Islamic extremism and a political affiliation with ISIS.

So, the correct description is that it was based on Islamist homophobia, the type ISIS is well known for promoting.

It was a homophobic individual who hated gay people, killing a load of gay people because he hated them.

No matter what spin you try and put on this, it was a homophobic attack, pure and simple.
Reply 71
Original post by Zayn is Bae
Anyone who watches press preview knows he's a bell of the highest order anyway. Maybe he should concentrate on why the shooter, who was also a member of the LGBTQTUDKSBFLWI community felt ostracised himself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hehe
Yeah that's cringey
Ok he has absolutely no links to Islamic terrorism you know better than what has been said.

What are these links? Go on tell me. Saying you 'support them' is not a link. Show me the evidence that this attack was planned or organised by IS.
It was a homophobic individual who hated gay people, killing a load of gay people because he hated them.

No matter what spin you try and put on this, it was a homophobic attack, pure and simple.

And how was that homophobia inspired and where did it come from, and I mean that very specific type of homophobia which has nothing to do with protesting gay marriage but actively believing you should go out and kill as many gays as possible? Was it Trump? Kim Davis? Or more likely the type of homophobia encouraged by Islamic extremists - demanding that gays are killed for being sinners, and which the terrorist affiliated himself with?

I am really not sure why you are trying to wilfully ignore the obvious Islamist element here. I am not even one of those saying "omg it's all Islam's fault!". I am recognising that it is the particular, ISIS inspired Islamist homophobia which encourages this sort of horrible behaviour.
I missed the part where he "embarrassed himself"...

They undermined the fact that it was a homophobic attack and everything they said was speculation, I understand Owen's frustrations.
I pittied him, like a little boy lost in the wilderness after everything he believed and thought for was clashing together in disharmony.

He got a mauled by labour MP Frank Field just last week on question time who schooled him on workers rights. Owen looked like he was going to cry yet could not argue with this Eurosceptic Labour MP who had stood with Corbyn for decades long before owen jones was a seed in his fathers gonads
Reply 76
What are these links? Go on tell me. Saying you 'support them' is not a link. Show me the evidence that this attack was planned or organised by IS.

He had self radicalised online, he had been heard saying how he wanted to martyr himself in a confrontation with the law by coworkers, he has ties to an American who traveled to Syria and became a suicide bomber, there is also the fact that a leader in Isis called for supporters to do something like this so to ignore that Isis was the part of the motivation is ignoring part of the problem.
And how was that homophobia inspired and where did it come from, and I mean that very specific type of homophobia which has nothing to do with protesting gay marriage but actively believing you should go out and kill as many gays as possible? Was it Trump? Kim Davis? Or more likely the type of homophobia encouraged by Islamic extremists - demanding that gays are killed for being sinners, and which the terrorist expressly affiliated himself with?

I am really not sure why you are trying to wilfully ignore the obvious Islamist element here. I am not even one of those saying "omg it's all Islam's fault!". I am recognising that it is the particular, ISIS inspired Islamist homophobia which encourages this sort of horrible behaviour.

I'm not ignoring the Islamist element.
But to suggest this was an attack primarily on the west as opposed to a homophobic attack specifically targeted at gay people is ludicrous. It was primarily a homophobic attack.

what you're trying to do is make out that it wasn't really primarily homophobic.
I'm so confused, what exactly is the point the hosts are trying to make? Owen is saying it was a homophobic attack but the hosts are saying it was just a normal terrorist attack?
He had self radicalised online, he had been heard saying how he wanted to martyr himself in a confrontation with the law by coworkers, he has ties to an American who traveled to Syria and became a suicide bomber, there is also the fact that a leader in Isis called for supporters to do something like this so to ignore that Isis was the part of the motivation is ignoring part of the problem.

That's all hearsay. Where is the proof that this attack was coordinated and organised by IS?

What does 'has ties' mean? Be specific.

The only 'link' to Isis is a comment of support to the police after he butchered these people, he was a very disturbed individual.

Again though, you're trying to make out that this wasn't treacle a homophobic attack.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending