The Student Room Group

Semmelweis University - Hungary - New possible student

Hello everyone,

I am from the UK and have just been accepted into the 6 year MD program at Semmelweis University in Hungary. As you can imagine moving to Hungary is a big deal especially if it is going to be for 6 years! I am fairly new to this whole process but do know a few good things about the school: GMC approves, Canadian approved, California board state approved (a must if you want to practice in the USA as it allows you to write their entrance exams upon graduation from the medical school), Listed medical school by the WHO. So as far as the school is concerned and the fact that they offer about 6 dozen different clinical rotation places throughout the world I am happy with it. However, this is what I do not know:

1. Living conditions - how safe is Budapest?

2. Teaching environment - how good are the teachers?

3. What are the clinical placements like?

4. What should I know about the program that school might not tell you but a student with experience would suggest?

5. How satisfying is the program??

If someone could chip in who is in the program or has applied or been accepted this year or could bring any valuable information to the table - such as knowing a friend in the program please write back.

Thank you kindly :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there :smile:
i also recently got accepted to Semmelweis University and was looking for the same type of information you were. if you did manage to get along there, do you mind filling me in on how its like?
Thank you
Hi
I did the entrance exam for semmelewis university 1 week ago, ATfitness what was your score in the entrance exam
Hey there,
i didn't receive a score. they just notified me through email about a week after i'd taken the exam that i'd passed and sent me an acceptance letter.
Reply 4
Hi how did you find the entrance exam and interview? Was it hard? Congratulations on getting accepted!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lisha_01
Hi how did you find the entrance exam and interview? Was it hard? Congratulations on getting accepted!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
the exam wasn't too difficult if you know your material. since i studied a levels, they had the same type of info i needed to know. its not tricky in any way, its very straight forward.
Reply 6
Ok, the questions that came up on my exam where quite different from my A level specification! I actually had my exam yesterday. When did you do your exam? I had mine in London. I applied for Dentistry at Semmelweis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, the questions that came up on my exam where quite different from my A level specification! I actually had my exam yesterday. When did you do your exam? I had mine in London. I applied for Dentistry at Semmelweis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i had my exam in Dubai while on holiday at easter break. Applying for medicine
Reply 9
Original post by ATfitness
i had my exam in Dubai while on holiday at easter break. Applying for medicine

Ok! Congratulations! Hopefully I'll get a reply back soon!
Ok! Congratulations! Hopefully I'll get a reply back soon!

Thanks, Hope you get in :smile:
Reply 11
Thanks! 😄 do you know anything about living in Budapest and student life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! 😄 do you know anything about living in Budapest and student life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a clue Tbh :P. Was hoping someone here would give me some insight on that topic, as well as insiders info on the university.
Reply 13
hey , i took my exam for semmelweis medicine on the 4th of june in london. Did anybody receive this random email about the 10 days summer course in budapest? i haven't received any acceptance letter or anything so I'm slightly puzzled atm :s
Original post by akwon14
hey , i took my exam for semmelweis medicine on the 4th of june in london. Did anybody receive this random email about the 10 days summer course in budapest? i haven't received any acceptance letter or anything so I'm slightly puzzled atm :s

that is weird :s-smilie:
I received that email but not planning on attending.
Reply 15
You received that email because you have been accepted! The acceptance letter will come later in the post. It's just an optional course that will help you before you start university. What did you apply for? 😀
Reply 16
You received that email because you have been accepted! The acceptance letter will come later in the post. It's just an optional course that will help you before you start university. What did you apply for? 😀
I'm doing medicine. you?
has anyone confirmed their place at the university for medicine yet?
Reply 18
Original post by akwon14
I'm doing medicine. you?

I'm doing dentistry. I received my offer letter in the post today.
Reply 19
Original post by ATfitness
has anyone confirmed their place at the university for medicine yet?

I thought they assume you're coming if you pay the tuition fees before the deadline?!