The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Language B 14th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by EvieEmerald
Hi, I also have the exam tomorrow- just wondering how long do you guys spend planning before you start to write up your answers?

One of my teachers told me to only spend 15 minutes today and I don't think that will be enough time for me (I've done practice essays in the past but I've forgotten how long I used to spend on planning them which is bad I know).

Unless you want to take an extra 15 minutes from your writing, so you can have a total 30min annotating and planning on each question. If you're a quick writer, you should probably take more time planning and just write it in 45 minutes.
Original post by Ondway
Unless you want to take an extra 15 minutes from your writing, so you can have a total 30min annotating and planning on each question. If you're a quick writer, you should probably take more time planning and just write it in 45 minutes.

I am tempted to do that as I am quite quick at writing now compared to what I used to be, I just panic sometimes and just freeze if I don't know what to say so I think the extra planning time would help. Thank you :smile:
Reply 102
So scared but also excited!!

Good luck everyone :smile:
Any theorists that talk about Morphology for CLA?
Reply 104
Original post by Kelvin1245
Any theorists that talk about Morphology for CLA?

If you are talking about morphology in terms of inflections, you can mention Chomsky. For example, if a child adds the inflection 'ed' to something like 'go', so it's 'goed', you can argue that language is innate (Chomsky) and according to the LAD, we know how to create language naturally, because we know that 'ed' comes after most verbs, so this proves that children understand past tense and they can use language to portray that.
Original post by Happyman322
So Bruner is a cognitive theorist and his major thing was the Language acquisition in social situations or the LASS for short.

Essentially, it shows that a childs cognitive and lexical development is tied to their social interactions with their care giver. So a care giver using lots of diexis in their language, lots of scaffolding will eventually encourage the child to copy and learn more complicated stuff.

LASS is pretty much linked to the idea of a critical period'. So for example, Gene the girl who was like left alone for god knows how many years did not have that social interaction and therefor could not learn *how to communicate*properly.

Bard and Sachs did a study linked to this one where they studied a kid who had deaf parents, and the kid only learned how to speak, his speech development was terribly inhibited even when exposed to TV and radio, proving LASS and showing physical human interaction is vital to lexical cognition.

Also thanks!

I am sorry but Bruner is an interactionist theorist
Tip to ace exam:

- Look at the marking criteria of the exam and make sure you cover as many as possible.

- Cram the night before but not til too late.

- Learn as much terminology as possible and use it, the more obscure the better, as long as you understand it and use it in context.
Reply 107
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Tip to ace exam:

- Look at the marking criteria of the exam and make sure you cover as many as possible.

- Cram the night before but not til too late.

- Learn as much terminology as possible and use it, the more obscure the better, as long as you understand it and use it in context.

They don't exactly give us the marking scheme in the exam
Original post by Gal cool
I am sorry but Bruner is an interactionist theorist

Yep sorry, your're right Don't know why i wrote that!
Original post by Ondway
They don't exactly give us the marking scheme in the exam

I meant the criteria framework thingy that tells you what the markers are looking for,

Forgot it's name :colondollar:
Good luck everyone.
Definitely not feeling ready this morning. Having one of them days.
At least we have coursework weighing in on this though 👌🏻🙌🏻
Reply 111
I still don't know what to do for the change question 🙄🙄
Anyone have any quick tips for writing about an Internet text for language change (or any modern text tbh), we haven't done any in class so I have no idea really :/
Guys how did everyone's exam go? Mine went awful! The texts weren't even that hard I just messed up with my timings and not propperly annotating and making a plan. I just went straight in and started writing about crap:frown:. I put literally no language features in my child language essay. My language change essay was a disaster too I realised halfway through I should have chosen the other text but it was too late. I actually want to cry because I wanted an A* in this subject because I want to do linguistics at uni, but I'll be lucky to even scrape a C. I LITERALLY ONLY PICKED OUT NOUNS AND ADJECTIVES!
I think my speech acquisition went really well. I talked about phonological errors (assimilation & consonant cluster reduction), labelling (aitchison & linked to hypernyms/hyponyms), missing auxiliary verbs and determiners, bellugi (prounouns & negatives), and CDS (questioning, modelling, soft phonics, use of children's names...)

Language change didn't go as well - I did Q4 as I thought Q3 was too modern to pick out many features. I hadn't really practiced comparative so I hope I balanced the texts enough. I talked about archaisms & modern terms (AKA), higher order lexis v less higher order for a wider audience, differences in register & discourse (formal/informal and 1st person/third person), grammar (long, complex sentences/short, simple sentences, differences in sentence formation), pragmatics (sexist language in 1st text, using 'actors' to refer to male & female actors, showing political correctness) and graphology (block of text v being split up, lack of features v italicisation, different punctuation ). & obviously I linked in contextual factors throughout

Still feel that language change didn't go too well, as I think I spent too much time on graphology & perhaps didn't link in context as much as I should, but I'm feeling confident-ish

It's over now, so I better get on to revising for the next exam :wink:
Reply 115
Not enough time im screwed haha
Original post by Lynaea
Not enough time im screwed haha

Same, i should have applied for extra time at the beginning of the year be ive screwed up most of my exams bc of it.
Reply 117
Does anyone know how bad your handwriting can be for the examiners to still be able to mark it? I know it's a stupid question but I'm quite worried because my handwriting wasn't the best by a long way and if they can't read it they can't mark it, then I'm going to do bad no matter how much effort I put in
Reply 118
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Same, i should have applied for extra time at the beginning of the year be ive screwed up most of my exams bc of it.

I was writing so fast my finger hurts but still not enough time. Should have done Q4 too but I never practiced the comparison Q. Text was way too modern for my taste.
Original post by elsierose
I think my speech acquisition went really well. I talked about phonological errors (assimilation & consonant cluster reduction), labelling (aitchison & linked to hypernyms/hyponyms), missing auxiliary verbs and determiners, bellugi (prounouns & negatives), and CDS (questioning, modelling, soft phonics, use of children's names...)

Language change didn't go as well - I did Q4 as I thought Q3 was too modern to pick out many features. I hadn't really practiced comparative so I hope I balanced the texts enough. I talked about archaisms & modern terms (AKA), higher order lexis v less higher order for a wider audience, differences in register & discourse (formal/informal and 1st person/third person), grammar (long, complex sentences/short, simple sentences, differences in sentence formation), pragmatics (sexist language in 1st text, using 'actors' to refer to male & female actors, showing political correctness) and graphology (block of text v being split up, lack of features v italicisation, different punctuation ). & obviously I linked in contextual factors throughout

Still feel that language change didn't go too well, as I think I spent too much time on graphology & perhaps didn't link in context as much as I should, but I'm feeling confident-ish

It's over now, so I better get on to revising for the next exam :wink:

We did LITERALLY the exact same thing on every point and I felt the exact same way on everything you said. Are you me? How many pages did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending