The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Nah, I insured Warwick over Imperial. i.e: I had Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial and UCL and to choose a (firm, insurance) ordered pair, I chose (firm, insurance) = (Cambridge, Warwick). I'll probably end up at Warwick at the rate I'm going. :tongue:

Good luck for your exam.

thought as much lol nah you'll be fine; you're tearing us noobs apart lol yh i got warwick (firm) and durham (insurance - unconditional #swag)
Original post by not_lucas1
He/She was a bit misleading when they put example on coding aight :/

sh1t you're right. my bad. sorry :s-smilie:
Original post by TheRandomGenius
June 2014 (R) had the most tricky 'standard' questions; hate that paper. Jan 16 IAL wasn't a standard paper imo and tested understanding quite well; loved doing it.

I'd do both if I were you.

Already done the june 2014 r paper and agree with you - was quite challenging.

Thanks will try the jan 2016!
Original post by the-anonymous-me
Which is the hardest S3 paper??

Title says S1...
Original post by anndz3007
https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/June%202015%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

question 2, if you try to find d= Svs/Sss, you would not get the value as shown ??

Edit: It actually works, sorry its just me messing with Sxx Sxy value

Which part of the question 2 do you actually have to code? I believe that there is no need to code
Hi,
When do you use n+1/2 to find the median and n/2?
I remember it being different for continuous vs grouped data
Reply 746
Original post by HasanRaza1
Hi,
When do you use n+1/2 to find the median and n/2?
I remember it being different for continuous vs grouped data

Nope, you can just use n/2, it's completely fine
IMG_6630.jpgcan do parts a b and c but not sure how to go about parts d e and f ... any help please ( d-1 mark, e-3 marks, f-3 marks)
if you add an extra n to the data, what effect oud it have on the mean, median, IQR, range, lower/upper quartile, standard deviation?
Cant seem to load an image, but June 2013 (R) question 7) part (e) and onwards has others and myself confused. Anyone done it?
Original post by Mesosleepy
if you add an extra n to the data, what effect oud it have on the mean, median, IQR, range, lower/upper quartile, standard deviation?

All depends on whether it's above or below the mean.
Original post by SeanFM
All depends on whether it's above or below the mean.

eh? I don't understand
eh? I don't understand

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'extra n'.
Original post by HK4
Cant seem to load an image, but June 2013 (R) question 7) part (e) and onwards has others and myself confused. Anyone done it?

What's the logical step to do for part e)? (think about inside the brackets).

For f), think carefully about the definitions of X and how you're given what S1 is, and think about what values S2 can/can't take for that statement to be true, and use the probability from there.
Original post by SeanFM
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'extra n'.

so originally you have 60 data, if they add an extra data making it 61. what effect would it have on the mean, median, IQR, standard deviation, lower/upper quartiles, in terms of increasing/decreasing.
so originally you have 60 data, if they add an extra data making it 61. what effect would it have on the mean, median, IQR, standard deviation, lower/upper quartiles, in terms of increasing/decreasing.

Okay. It depends on what the mean is, what the standard deviation is and stuff like that as well as what the point actually is. Because if you take one of those things, like the mean, the mean is going to increase if you add a number greater than the mean (think of 1,3,5 - if you add 2, then the mean decreases to 11/4. If you add 4, then the mean increases to 13/4. So you really need to know a lot more about the data, and work it out like that.
Original post by ChilliLemon
Already done the june 2014 r paper and agree with you - was quite challenging.

Thanks will try the jan 2016!

Where is the Jan 2016 paper?
I'm stuck on part 4)b) in this paper, can anyone help pls:

https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/June%202009%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

I know that mean= ∑xf

but I've forgotten how to find x?

I worked it out as the class width + multiplied it by the frequency but it was obviously wrong.
Bricking myself for tomorrow... Oh well I just need 55/75 min to get an A so hopefully fingers crossed ✌🏽

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon_98
I'm stuck on part 4)b) in this paper, can anyone help pls:

https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/June%202009%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

I know that mean= ∑xf

but I've forgotten how to find x?

I worked it out as the class width + multiplied it by the frequency but it was obviously wrong.

X is the midpoint so for the first one-
10 + 12/ 2 = 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending