The Student Room Group

English not my first language

Hello, my name is Nazar. I'm 17 years old. I'm not from UK,I have been living for eight months here. I'm studied a simple English in school, but never speak. I already applied to sixth form college where i had an interview and now I have another interview in August, where i will discussing about subjects to studying. I want studying a computing/IT. Can you help me to choose the subjects which i will be possible to study with my English. Then I want apply to university. I research a lot but really cant understand UK educational system.
Original post by Nazar_1999
Hello, my name is Nazar. I'm 17 years old. I'm not from UK,I have been living for eight months here. I'm studied a simple English in school, but never speak. I already applied to sixth form college where i had an interview and now I have another interview in August, where i will discussing about subjects to studying. I want studying a computing/IT. Can you help me to choose the subjects which i will be possible to study with my English. Then I want apply to university. I research a lot but really cant understand UK educational system.

What do you mean? What exactly do you need help with, a subject that can help you better your english? Or something else?
Reply 2
Original post by CorpusLuteum
What do you mean? What exactly do you need help with, a subject that can help you better your english? Or something else?

For example I can't study law, because it's too hard for my English. In application to Sixth Form needs to write 4 subject. I decided to study the Computing and Maths, so i need two more. And I a little bit don't understand how works education system after Sixth Form, because I want go to University
For example I can't study law, because it's too hard for my English. In application to Sixth Form needs to write 4 subject. I decided to study the Computing and Maths, so i need two more. And I a little bit don't understand how works education system after Sixth Form, because I want go to University

I reckon you should do:

>Computing
>Maths
>Physics
>(maybe another science like chemistry) the you could just stop doing the fourth subject later once you start a -levels. Just tell them it's too much work for you.
Reply 4
I reckon you should do:

>Computing
>Maths
>Physics
>(maybe another science like chemistry) the you could just stop doing the fourth subject later once you start a -levels. Just tell them it's too much work for you.

Then after this 2 years in college, I will be write an exams? How it works, what I need for University?If I want studying computing in University ?
Then after this 2 years in college, I will be write an exams? How it works, what I need for University?If I want studying computing in University ?

If you want to study computing in university you only need either maths or computing but It's good that you're taking both.
Yes after two years of being taught in college you will take your exams.
You will apply to some universities before you take your exams and then when you have got your grades you tell the university your grade and they will either accept you or not.
Reply 6
If you want to study computing in university you only need either maths or computing but It's good that you're taking both.
Yes after two years of being taught in college you will take your exams.
You will apply to some universities before you take your exams and then when you have got your grades you tell the university your grade and they will either accept you or not.

These 4 subject what I will choose then i will take exams for these 4 subjects ?
These 4 subject what I will choose then i will take exams for these 4 subjects ?

1) Computing
2)Maths
3) Physics

What is your first language?
Reply 8
1) Computing
2)Maths
3) Physics

What is your first language?

My first language is Ukrainian then I can speak Russian like Ukrainian.
My first language is Ukrainian then I can speak Russian like Ukrainian.

If you can speak Russian very well ask to do it as an A-level.
Only if you can write russian, read russian and speak russian very fluently.
Reply 10
If you can speak Russian very well ask to do it as an A-level.
Only if you can write russian, read russian and speak russian very fluently.

In application I didn't see anything about Russian language.
One more question, where I can found an examples of grades for University, what level I need etc.
In application I didn't see anything about Russian language.
One more question, where I can found an examples of grades for University, what level I need etc.

It depends what university you want to go to.
Usually good universities want grades: BBB or above.
Reply 12
It depends what university you want to go to.
Usually good universities want grades: BBB or above.

What about A level Russian language, I can choose it like one of 4 subject ?How it works?
What about A level Russian language, I can choose it like one of 4 subject ?How it works?

Yes, you could do it as an A-level but you won't get taught it at school - you'll just have to do the exam at the end of the year ( you could probably even do it in the first year of A-levels if you're prepared for it).
Reply 14
Yes, you could do it as an A-level but you won't get taught it at school - you'll just have to do the exam at the end of the year ( you could probably even do it in the first year of A-levels if you're prepared for it).

I can speak Russian free and know basic gramma, you think it will be enough?
I can speak Russian free and know basic gramma, you think it will be enough?

No you need to know how to write and speak and read and have to be able to translate some stuff from russian to english. Do you think you can do that?
Reply 16
No you need to know how to write and speak and read and have to be able to translate some stuff from russian to english. Do you think you can do that?

Yes, easy, because Russian very similar to Ukrainian, and a lot of films, friends, TV speaking on Russian, so I think yes I can.But not sure about translate to English,
Yes, easy, because Russian very similar to Ukrainian, and a lot of films, friends, TV speaking on Russian, so I think yes I can.But not sure about translate to English,

I'm not sure then...
Reply 18
I'm not sure then...

It's okay. Thank you very much. You saved me a lot of time. I'm very thankfully you
It's okay. Thank you very much. You saved me a lot of time. I'm very thankfully you

It's okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending