The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS3/BUSS4 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just remembered I got the year wrong on the payback calculations -_- and somehow came out with 12.2% for ARR... ****.
I said that the proposal was diversification :frown: could I get away with that?
[QUOTE=christabellej;65780977]Yeah as part of my 34 mark evaluation I said how I can be considered a risky strategy as its market development therefore extensive research will be required to meet the needs and wants of the business l

Yeah I used Ansoff's matrix as well but I used it in terms of what the Marketing Director was saying about how he wanted the company to continue with current operations so I spoke about market penetration in terms of that. Hopefully that was alright.
What's the significance in terms of the marks if you calculated arr wrong but still backed it up with other appropriate information?
Original post by Chughes1
What's the significance in terms of the marks if you calculated arr wrong but still backed it up with other appropriate information?

It depends how you analysed the ARR result you calculated. If you combined it with other data from the case study to strengthen your argument, then chances are you could still gain highly, particularly for analysis. It's always best to - when dealing with calculations and analysis that follows calculations - make sure something else in the case study also backs up your point in case the whole merit of what you're saying is based on an incorrect calculation, which would then gain little to no credit. What ARR did you get?
Did anyone disagree with the proposal?
Original post by Uncle Damz

yup i did, loads of people did. as far as i remember points i made were to do with the implications on the workforce, loss of core customers in general, loss of long-haul customers, loss of luxury element, risk of aggressive competition from likes of easy jet and ryan air that have the market power to use tactics like price skimming etc. she also has no experience in luxury market so shes using her experience in cheap flight industry to influence the company to change market. And the high cost of investment needed which is mainly due to changing the entire fleet. I did obv talk about the other side of argument but those were my main points as far as i remember for the against argument given the stress of time in the exam.

Overall id say compared to previous papers it was a bit iffy some level of confusion and difficulty but with average ground boundaries it went well (around 50 for B and 55 for A) so thats fine
I got it to be 40% I think it may be 15% though but my chain of argument along with other manipulated data in the arguement with a lot of application through? So there's relatively for a wrong calculation no lost marks in a sense if you have the appropriate arguement and back up information? Like it won't drop me down a level from 5 to 4?
Original post by ryanroks1
It depends how you analysed the ARR result you calculated. If you combined it with other data from the case study to strengthen your argument, then chances are you could still gain highly, particularly for analysis. It's always best to - when dealing with calculations and analysis that follows calculations - make sure something else in the case study also backs up your point in case the whole merit of what you're saying is based on an incorrect calculation, which would then gain little to no credit. What ARR did you get?

I got it to be 40% I think it may be 15% though but my chain of argument along with other manipulated data in the arguement with a lot of application through? So there's relatively for a wrong calculation no lost marks in a sense if you have the appropriate arguement and back up information? Like it won't drop me down a level from 5 to 4?
Hi,

For Q2 I'm confident that the Question asked whether the marketing activities had been effective before the appointment of Thea in 2015? so you had to analyse the effectiveness of the marketing activities in years 2014 and 2013 and compare this to 2015 or industry average?

Any chance someone could just put my mind at rest and state whether this is the case?
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone got any BUSS4 notes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thopkins
You seem to know what you're talking about so I'll ask you, would I get marks for saying that revenue fell at a less proportionate rate than the value of the market?

For Q2, I'm pretty sure that the question asked whether the marketing activities had been effective before the appointment of Thea in 2015 which meant that you had to argue if it had been effective in 2014 or 2013 as this is the time before Thea was appointed. For example, I said that the marketing activities hadn't been effective because in 2015 their was a higher net profit but less % was being spent on marketing activites of revenue, if one compares this to 2014 this suggests that before the appointment of Thea, the marketing activities hadn't been effective

Does that make sense?
Reply 432
Do you reckon for question 2 if you spoke about how the marketing was successful as it targeted a lucrative market through differentiation you'd get marks? I wasn't sure if it related to the question seeing as it asked if it was successful not why it was sucsessful. Like I used a lot of data from the marketing table that said what the market prefers and now thinking about it am not sure if I'd get many marks for doing that
Original post by Chughes1

The Examiner would firstly ignore any analysis relating directly to that 40%. Based on the fact you've said your answer contained other manipulated data, then you could still very well gain GAp for using that, and thus if you took that through a logical chain of argument, GAn also. You don't need to be too worried if that wasn't the only calculation you did and you didn't focus too heavily on it.

The problem with incorrect calculations occur when people base their paragraphs solely on that one calculation they've done. If the result they got was wrong and they analysed something that wasn't the case, then that's the situation where you'd gain no credit. I remember reading a paragraph that did this in some exemplar material.
Original post by Crozzer24
15.16% and 3 years 1 month

i put 3 years and 1.1 month as I've seen it like that in past mark schemes, hardly wrote anything for Q3, stuck for time so badly.
Original post by Uncle Damz

I disagreed - they already had a significant customer base and despite predictions over future market decline, profitability has improved given their ability to increase prices. The new proposal carries significant risk - not only from fierce competition from oligopolists, but the implications on HRM and the financial strains that occur as a result of that could potentially lead the venture to failure, ultimately making it less likely they'll satisfy the needs of Xenton.
Reply 436
For the investment question, I only worked out pay back period and the current ratio and highlighted other things from the case study, can I still get High marks even though I didn't work out Gearing or ARR?
Reply 437
Original post by AdamR2404
Hi,

For Q2 I'm confident that the Question asked whether the marketing activities had been effective before the appointment of Thea in 2015? so you had to analyse the effectiveness of the marketing activities in years 2014 and 2013 and compare this to 2015 or industry average?

Any chance someone could just put my mind at rest and state whether this is the case?

I saw that the 2015 figures were included and simply did not feature them as it asked whether they were successful before the appointment of Thea not if she had been successful
I got 12.2% for ARR too
What did I do wrong?
Did anyone agree with the proposal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending