The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology grades

So in AS for psychology i got an A and a B and an A overall as my grade.
IF i get an A* in both A2 papers is it possible for me to get an A* overall with that B?

ALSO if i get an A* and an A in the A2 papers can you still get an A*, or do you need an A* in both papers to get an A* overall?

AQA exam board
Original post by lizzzie97
So in AS for psychology i got an A and a B and an A overall as my grade.
IF i get an A* in both A2 papers is it possible for me to get an A* overall with that B?

Yes. There is no requirement to get an A in both papers at AS. All AS is that it counts towards 50% of your overall grade, and to get an A* you need to get 80% of the total UMS overall across AS and A2, as well as get an average of 90% or more in the A2 units.

ALSO if i get an A* and an A in the A2 papers can you still get an A*, or do you need an A* in both papers to get an A* overall?

AQA exam board

Yes, A* and A COULD work, but you have to average 90% between the two to get the A*. There is no requirement to get 90+% in BOTH. AS PSYA3 and PSYA4 are equally weighted, this makes calculations fairly easy.

You could get 90 in one and 90 in the other, and the average would be 90. You could also get 100 in one and 80 in the other and the average would be 90 again, and you get an A* in both cases. Anything inbetween also works, eg 85/95 or 91/89 etc etc. What won't work is averaging lower than 90, eg 94/82, you get an A* and an A in the papers as you said but don't average 90 or more, whereas if you get 92 and 89 then you get an A*/A in the papers but an A* overall.

Good luck! :h:
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Yes. There is no requirement to get an A in both papers at AS. All AS is that it counts towards 50% of your overall grade, and to get an A* you need to get 80% of the total UMS overall across AS and A2, as well as get an average of 90% or more in the A2 units.

Yes, A* and A COULD work, but you have to average 90% between the two to get the A*. There is no requirement to get 90+% in BOTH. AS PSYA3 and PSYA4 are equally weighted, this makes calculations fairly easy.

You could get 90 in one and 90 in the other, and the average would be 90. You could also get 100 in one and 80 in the other and the average would be 90 again, and you get an A* in both cases. Anything inbetween also works, eg 85/95 or 91/89 etc etc. What won't work is averaging lower than 90, eg 94/82, you get an A* and an A in the papers as you said but don't average 90 or more, whereas if you get 92 and 89 then you get an A*/A in the papers but an A* overall.

Good luck! :h:

Do you also know what grade around average i would get if i got an A and a B in AS for chemistry and i got two U's for A2? My ISA's are B for A2 and C for AS.
Original post by lizzzie97
Do you also know what grade around average i would get if i got an A and a B in AS for chemistry and i got two U's for A2? My ISA's are B for A2 and C for AS.

Assuming you got around 230 for AS (with that the B was in unit 2 rather than 1 unit 1, as they are not equally weighted) and then around 30 UMS in each A2 paper then you would get 55% (a D) overall.

Quick Reply

Latest