The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

lol resolution not great there, try again

0.jpg

(I guess they will technically be parts of circles due to the sign concerns)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by drandy76
Forgot the holes but I think I put notes adjacent to each graph stating where the discontinuities were

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be good enough :smile:.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Should be good enough :smile:.

ur opinions on this paper ?
Did anyone do 8? That was a beautiful question
EDIT: My favourite of all my questions actually

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder

Posted from TSR Mobile

My favourite was q7, if I did it correctly at least, if not q8 or q1 were nice too imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
did anyone get to the point where they had 301^2 - 900 in question 1 and had to find two factors?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
lol resolution not great there, try again

0.jpg

(I guess they will technically be parts of circles due to the sign concerns)

ah i got as far f(x)= and didn't really know what to do next so just left it like that. Thats probably why I didn't have a clue what to put when they asked you to state what k meant at the end.
Original post by johnthedog
did anyone get to the point where they had 301^2 - 900 in question 1 and had to find two factors?

It's the difference of two squares.
Original post by nitromeguy
For question 10, was lambda = 2+root5, e = root5 - 2? I wasn't entirely confident on this one

Just redid Q10, got 2+root5 again for lambda, perhaps 3 of my friends all got the same but wrong answer, maybe there is a popular mistake but I can't spot one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone do question 12 and just get the answer 1/2 for everything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did, it was my favourite too! :biggrin:
My favourite was q7, if I did it correctly at least, if not q8 or q1 were nice too imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't really like Q1, it was quite dull and the bulk of it was just expanding things (unless there is a trick I missed?) Whereas the end result in Q8 was very nice imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jackhkeynes
it's the difference of two squares.

oh for **** ******** ****** ************ sake
Q13 is the one that I am slightly dubious about, I worked backwards from the answer for the second part, did anyone get a full on this? If so what was the answer to 'Write down the probability that the second email is delivered after time t'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just redid Q10, got 2+root5 again for lambda, perhaps 3 of my friends all got the same but wrong answer, maybe there is a popular mistake but I can't spot one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did your friends actually get cos I was quite happy when i got e to be a value 0<e<1/3 i mean i thought that was quite a small margin?
I didn't really like Q1, it was quite dull and the bulk of it was just expanding things (unless there is a trick I missed?) Whereas the end result in Q8 was very nice imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I did it the same way too, it was just a nice relaxing way to start the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smartalan73
What did your friends actually get cos I was quite happy when i got e to be a value 0<e<1/3 i mean i thought that was quite a small margin?

Think they got 2+root3 for lambda, but I can't remember really. I just assumed I was wrong because 3 of them had got the same answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think they got 2+root3 for lambda, but I can't remember really. I just assumed I was wrong because 3 of them had got the same answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but 2+rt5 is the correct ans innit ?
Nah I did it the same way too, it was just a nice relaxing way to start the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was my last question actually, I attempted it first and ended up not being able to expand (1+X)^4 :getscoat: came back to it at the end and got it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
would quite like one of them fancy polls to gauge how hard the paper was compared to previous years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending