The Student Room Group

Writing a personal statement for 2 different subjects

Hi! i'm planning on making an application for universities including Oxford, Exeter and Warwick. However, the courses I want to study are slightly different.

At Oxford, I will be applying for French and Linguistics.
At Exeter, I will be applying for French and Spanish.
At Warwick, I will be applying for French, Spanish and Linguistics.

How do I write a personal statement that covers French, Spanish and Linguistics? Obviously I don't want to waste too many characters talking about Spanish when I'm not applying for it at Oxford, but at the same time I want to make sure that I'm talking about Spanish enough for Exeter and Warwick.

What do I do?
Original post by BEARichards
Hi! i'm planning on making an application for universities including Oxford, Exeter and Warwick. However, the courses I want to study are slightly different.

At Oxford, I will be applying for French and Linguistics.
At Exeter, I will be applying for French and Spanish.
At Warwick, I will be applying for French, Spanish and Linguistics.

How do I write a personal statement that covers French, Spanish and Linguistics? Obviously I don't want to waste too many characters talking about Spanish when I'm not applying for it at Oxford, but at the same time I want to make sure that I'm talking about Spanish enough for Exeter and Warwick.

What do I do?

See http://www.mod-langs.ox.ac.uk/faqs#13

Your PS will not play a large part of the selection process for Oxford - they'll have written work and language tests and interviews which (along with your academic qualifications and your reference) will have the most impact on your selection or otherwise.

Which means you can devote space in your PS to Spanish and talk about an interest in linguistics without damaging your chances for Oxford.

Do you have 2 other choices on top of the 3 you've listed here?
Original post by PQ
See http://www.mod-langs.ox.ac.uk/faqs#13

Your PS will not play a large part of the selection process for Oxford - they'll have written work and language tests and interviews which (along with your academic qualifications and your reference) will have the most impact on your selection or otherwise.

Which means you can devote space in your PS to Spanish and talk about an interest in linguistics without damaging your chances for Oxford.

Do you have 2 other choices on top of the 3 you've listed here?

Thank you!!
I have a basic idea but I haven't thought about it in great detail- I'm considering BA French and Spanish (Linguistic studies) at Southampton and then I think I'll make a decision on my final choice after open days etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending