The Student Room Group

Is an Audi A5 an irresponsible first car.

Hello,

Well I've been looking at first cars -and I am looking to spend around £7,500 on a first car.

I always thought it would be great to get an alright first car - then some kind of nice audi as a second one. But the insurance for an (in my opinion beautiful) audi a5 (1.8L) is just as cheap (if not cheaper) than other more sensible car choices.

I know Audi's are a nightmare when it comes to servicing etc. but if I find the right one it can't be that irresponsible right... ?

Just thought I'd try and get some other peoples opinions on this.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Got any insurance quotes to back up this idea?..

To answer your question; an Audi A5 is not a realistic first car unless you're willing to pay through the nose for insurance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by fr0sr_

Yeah - hold on
Reply 3
Original post by fr0sr_

To answer your question; an Audi A5 is not a realistic first car unless you're willing to pay through the nose for insurance.

I've had it down to ~£1650 before - still pretty good though.
Original post by jordanwells9

I've had it down to ~£1650 before - still pretty good though.

I'd have a look at the reviews of that insurer if I were you.
Chances are the quality of service they provide is abysmal. I for one would only go with reputable companies.
Are the results you've received in order of lowest price first and then the next cheapest etc.?
It would be nice
x

http://www.reviews.co.uk/company-reviews/store/gc-thepolicyshop

insurer.JPG

I wouldn't go for them if I were you!
Reply 7
Original post by K2G
Insurance is that cheap? where do ya live mate? I got a BMW 525 M sport couple of months ago (I'm 18) and paying £4500 for insurance. Bloody London.

Live in Newcastle, and damn. Wouldn't pay that much for insurance haha - but nice car. | How do you feel having such a powerful car as your first one, would you recommend it if I can get the insurance right?
Reply 8

oh... yeah I will have another look around (insurance wise). Thanks for this.
oh... yeah I will have another look around (insurance wise). Thanks for this.

Seems as if I've been barking up the wrong tree.
The link I provided was for "The Policy Shop" (yet I googled MyPolicy Reviews) - COMPLETELY different companies.

SORRY!

I'll have a further dig and see what I can find.
Well I only paid £950 year 1, last year :flute:
Original post by fr0sr_
Seems as if I've been barking up the wrong tree.
The link I provided was for "The Policy Shop" (yet I googled MyPolicy Reviews) - COMPLETELY different companies.

SORRY!

I'll have a further dig and see what I can find.

Ahh, it's quite difficult to find reviews for them.

Original post by Alexion
Well I only paid £950 year 1, last year :flute:

Woah, I've never seen insurance that cheap for first year haha.
What car / policy was it on?
Live in Newcastle, and damn. Wouldn't pay that much for insurance haha - but nice car. | How do you feel having such a powerful car as your first one, would you recommend it if I can get the insurance right?

I can find very little as to how their service is - which isn't all that assuring.
Woah, I've never seen insurance that cheap for first year haha.
What car / policy was it on?

It's on a '58 reg 1.2l Corsa, in Oxfordshire, and we also brought the price down by adding my parents as named drivers (neither has made an insurance claim in >10 years so that helps a lot).

I don't remember the exact details and don't know where the documents are so I can't remember who it was with, sorry.
Hello,

Well I've been looking at first cars -and I am looking to spend around £7,500 on a first car.

I always thought it would be great to get an alright first car - then some kind of nice audi as a second one. But the insurance for an (in my opinion beautiful) audi a5 (1.8L) is just as cheap (if not cheaper) than other more sensible car choices.

I know Audi's are a nightmare when it comes to servicing etc. but if I find the right one it can't be that irresponsible right... ?

Just thought I'd try and get some other peoples opinions on this.

In my opinion an AUDI R8 is much more responsible
Original post by fr0sr_
I can find very little as to how their service is - which isn't all that assuring.

Well I guess that could be a good / bad thing right?

More people would feel the need to make reviews if it was bad I guess. (just trying to make myself feel better)
Original post by Alexion
It's on a '58 reg 1.2l Corsa, in Oxfordshire, and we also brought the price down by adding my parents as named drivers (neither has made an insurance claim in >10 years so that helps a lot).

I don't remember the exact details and don't know where the documents are so I can't remember who it was with, sorry.

That is a really good quote haha, I cannot seem to get prices as low at that. (even when trying with cars such as fiesta's etc.)
Original post by PrincessBO$$
In my opinion an AUDI R8 is much more responsible

damnnnnnnnnn, that would be nice...
That is a really good quote haha, I cannot seem to get prices as low at that. (even when trying with cars such as fiesta's etc.)

Yeah, I think it was a couple hundred lower than the typical quote ~ we got quite lucky I guess haha
Reply 19

It's an absolute beast of a car but like you've said it's really powerful. I am in fact thinking about selling it and buying a smaller one such as 1 series or something similar. It's too powerful for a young driver and has a high risk of an accident because you do get excited and put your foot down more and more then you just realise how fast you're going and panic. So, No. I wouldn't recommend it.

Quick Reply

Latest