The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Anyone get 0.65 for sarah and 0.2 for rebecca?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1001
Original post by anna096
I'm confused by that dinner question
So it told you 100% of people stayed in a room with or without breakfast. It was predicted that 97% would though. So then for eating dinner there, the expected probability was 0.45 (or something like that) so using the same proportion as worked out earlier, surely 46 people order dinner???

omg i hope so cuz that sounds like what i put
Piss easy paper
That was alright, but I do s3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Benjamin I
Because you needed to get the lower 20% and less you would have -0.8416 rather than 0.8416.That would then give 206.---
Ohhh I made the same mistake. Thanks for the explanation. Do you remember how many marks that part of the question was worth? Three?
In C2 I got 75/75, C1 I got 69/75 and here I would say I got 57/75. Overall, this is more than 80%! What do you think the overall grade boundaries will be out of 225????

Posted from TSR Mobile
i got 42 but not sure if its correct :/
Original post by MoshBosh
Piss easy paper

Alright lad chill out, wasn't fully 'piss easy' but it wasn't hard either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heyitskim
When is Mr Arsey releasing his mark scheme???

I think there was a thread a few weeks back about Edexcel not wanting him to release unofficial mark schemes anymore...
Because you needed to get the lower 20% and less you would have -0.8416 rather than 0.8416.That would then give 206.---

Oh gosh got the same because I did not minus it but I'm sure it said longer so I assumed it was just greater than WTW,
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Ohhh I made the same mistake. Thanks for the explanation. Do you remember how many marks that part of the question was worth? Three?

Yeah it was three
Original post by timelizard
good thats what i got

my plan was to go over June15 this morning especially for that style of question but I thought it was in the afternoon so i woke up at 9am which was yikes so that didn't happen
luckily i figured it out unlike in the mock

Gj man good luck in other exams!
Original post by anna096
I'm confused by that dinner question
So it told you 100% of people stayed in a room with or without breakfast. It was predicted that 97% would though. So then for eating dinner there, the expected probability was 0.45 (or something like that) so using the same proportion as worked out earlier, surely 46 people order dinner???

so
The probability of booking dinner if youre staying in a room w/ breakfast is
0.27/(0.27+0.33) which is 0.45
the probability of booking dinner if youre staying in a room without breakfast is
0.15/(0.22+0.15) which is 15/37

then you multiply the respective booking numbers by those probabilities, add them together and you get 33

does that make sense?

why would you want the lower 20% ih he wants to be in top 20%?
Number of diners...
(0.45 x 40) + (15 x 17/15) equals 33
That Sarah Rebecca question screwed me over... 7 marks down the drain already.. Great.

Hope I didn't make any other silly mistakes
Original post by Apolexian

yes but the top 20% in terms of a running race is the lowest run times (faster/lower = better)

so yeah, you use the neg value

Because he wants to run the marathon in the top 20% fastest time, so it's in the bottom 20% of times. If I run a marathon in 200 mins and you run it in 270 who ran it faster?

He wanted to be in the top 20% of runners which actually means the fastest 20%
Original post by timelizard
so
The probability of booking dinner if youre staying in a room w/ breakfast is
0.27/(0.27+0.33) which is 0.45
the probability of booking dinner if youre staying in a room without breakfast is
0.15/(0.22+0.15) which is 15/37

then you multiply the respective booking numbers by those probabilities, add them together and you get 33

does that make sense?

do you remember the numbers? i think i got 44

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending