The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medimidi
Thank you!

No problem :smile:
Not hearing good things from the AQA maths people, let's hope Edexcel are kinder with their papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michael242103
How do you draw this graph ???

The link is https://aeb44e76c1fb598b02a447aec2866c6b846371c4.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYXzgxRS15M3dxU28/Practice%20Paper%20A1%20QP%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

Its an edexcel practice paper for c3 on physics and maths tutor

Sketch the ln x graph (you should know what that looks like) and then transform it via stretching in the x-direction and horizontal translation.
Original post by Zacken
Sketch the ln x graph (you should know what that looks like) and then transform it via stretching in the x-direction and horizontal translation.

Ye but its got a mod and the markscheme shows something completely different ........
https://aeb44e76c1fb598b02a447aec2866c6b846371c4.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYXzgxRS15M3dxU28/Practice%20Paper%20A1%20MS%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

Yeah, it'll be reflected in the line x=2 since it's of the form y = f(|x|). (which normally gets reflected in the y-axis, but this has been translated, so gets reflected in the line x=2 instead of x=0)
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, it'll be reflected in the line x=2 since it's of the form y = f(|x|). (which normally gets reflected in the y-axis, but this has been translated, so gets reflected in the line x=2 instead of x=0)

is that always the case for something like this? How come its not ln(3|x|-6)??
Original post by Azzer11
Not hearing good things from the AQA maths people, let's hope Edexcel are kinder with their papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've invested just under 3,000 hours this year on Maths alone. If EdEx ruin my chance of an A*, ...tbc
is that always the case for something like this? How come its not ln(3|x|-6)??

Because the question wants you to plot ln|3x-6| and not ln(3|x| - 6).
alright cheers mate

Original post by Zacken
Because the question wants you to plot ln|3x-6| and not ln(3|x| - 6).
Original post by Zacken

When you're transforming x, it's translate first, then stretch.
Original post by sayshay
When you're transforming x, it's translate first, then stretch.

Eh? No. I could do it both different ways if I wanted to...
@Zacken, if it was ln|3x| - 6, then you would translate by a vector of (0 -6) to give two coordinates of (-1/3, -6) and (1/3, -6), right?
Original post by Don Pedro K.
@Zacken, if it was ln|3x| - 6, then you would translate by a vector of (0 -6) to give two coordinates of (-1/3, -6) and (1/3, -6), right?

You'd then need to stretch it by scale factor 1/3 in the x-direction. So translate down by 6 then stretch horizontally by 1/3
Original post by Zacken
You'd then need to stretch it by scale factor 1/3 in the x-direction. So translate down by 6 then stretch horizontally by 1/3

Oh right, so the x coordinate would change when you translate down by 6, yeah. So x would equal 1/3(e^6) and -1/3(e^6)?
those practice pprs written by edexcel?
i dont think so heres the link:http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c3-edexcel-practice/

Its on physics and maths tutors website under edexcel practice papers but not sure...

Original post by Pablo Picasso
those practice pprs written by edexcel?
i dont think so heres the link:http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c3-edexcel-practice/

Its on physics and maths tutors website under edexcel practice papers but not sure...

Thanks <3
Original post by Zacken
Eh? No. I could do it both different ways if I wanted to...

Say f(x) was a particular function, when you draw y= f(3x-5) you'd have to shift to the right by 5 first, and then stretch along the X axis by scale factor of 1/3. Doing it the other way around will give you a different overall transformation.

When you read the question on the actual paper, there's no ln? It just says f(X) = a|2x-a|, and if you use that, you get what the mark scheme says.
Original post by Pablo Picasso
I've invested just under 3,000 hours this year on Maths alone. If EdEx ruin my chance of an A*, ...tbc

I thought you did AQA? Or were you just trolling on the AQA thread saying it was a 'straightforward' exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending