Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aerosmith
guys would I lose a mark for putting 1-chloroethanoyl chloride? :frown:

I wrote the same thing - such a stupid mistake
Original post by lara24
I wrote the same thing - such a stupid mistake

What was the answer?
HELLO GUYS, WE NEED TO BE HEARD, SO SIGN THE PETITION QUICKLY AND SPREAD IT AROUND!
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/lower-grade-boundaries-for-chemistry-unit-4-2016
Do you think you can put NaOH with an acid catalyst for the hydrolysis of the Estee???Also does anyone remember the moles we were given when we had to work out KC that got an answer of 9.09x10-3 I know one was 0.58 another was 3.76 I think???? What were the other two?
Was a tough paper, but I can't see the AQA doing much - the questions about lidocaine/polymers for stitches etc were how science works questions that required thinking outside of the box, they've been pretty on point with the HSW stuff in the past couple of years.

That's not to say that the AQA don't realise when they've went off the beaten track - a similar thing happened with the controversial June 2012 CHEM5 paper, there was an outrage including newspaper coverage on it and the AQA lowered the grade boundaries considerably (79 for A* and 71 for an A).
Reply 1625
Original post by RME11
Was a tough paper, but I can't see the AQA doing much - the questions about lidocaine/polymers for stitches etc were how science works questions that required thinking outside of the box, they've been pretty on point with the HSW stuff in the past couple of years.

That's not to say that the AQA don't realise when they've went off the beaten track - a similar thing happened with the controversial June 2012 CHEM5 paper, there was an outrage including newspaper coverage on it and the AQA lowered the grade boundaries considerably (79 for A* and 71 for an A).

surely they have to do something since thousands of people are complaining? The reaction to this exam is not the usual reaction therefore they did something wrong...
Original post by Smcdonald98
What was the answer?

2 chloro ethanoyl chloride
Currently revising Chem5 after that atrocious chem4

How much do we need to know about reversible and irreversible cells? Do we need to know the half equations for examples etc or do we only have to know that the reaction can be reversed in rechargeable cells?
Original post by 🙈🙈🙉🙊
Hi thank you for doing this! if possible could you add in the marks for the questions so i can estimate how badly i did.. also i dont remember a question about how to distinguish between enantiomers?? Did i miss this??

the electroplie produced was ClCH2CO
Original post by Thisshouldbeapun
Currently revising Chem5 after that atrocious chem4

How much do we need to know about reversible and irreversible cells? Do we need to know the half equations for examples etc or do we only have to know that the reaction can be reversed in rechargeable cells?

Pretty sure we don't need to know the equations, just how to work out the reactions if they are given in a table.

Although, considering the last paper, who knows? They might even bung that in there too -_-
Original post by cookiemonster15
Pretty sure we don't need to know the equations, just how to work out the reactions if they are given in a table.

Although, considering the last paper, who knows? They might even bung that in there too -_-

We need to know catalyst equations (i.e. contact process).
Hey guys, for unit 5 born haber cycles I'm just unsure on one thing. Say for example say you're asked to draw the cycle for NaCl can you do the atomisation for Na then the atomisation for 1/2Cl2 then do the first IE or does it have to be Atomisation Na then IE then atomisation 1/2Cl2? Thanks :smile:
Original post by berries366
Hey guys, for unit 5 born haber cycles I'm just unsure on one thing. Say for example say you're asked to draw the cycle for NaCl can you do the atomisation for Na then the atomisation for 1/2Cl2 then do the first IE or does it have to be Atomisation Na then IE then atomisation 1/2Cl2? Thanks :smile:

As standard, it should really be atomisation of 1/2Cl2, followed by atomisation of Na followed by first IE of Na.

But mark schemes will always allow them in either order, as long as you get the highest potential energy products at the top of the cycle.
the ethanal and ethanol reaction was nucleophillic addition elimination ?
Original post by SubwayLover1
the ethanal and ethanol reaction was nucleophillic addition elimination ?

No, just nucleophilic addition.

What was being eliminated? We ended up with a diol I seem to remember.

EDIT: Scrap that, it was hemiacetal, which is a hydroxy ether, but still nucleophilic addition.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cadherin
No, just nucleophilic addition.

What was being eliminated? We ended up with a diol I seem to remember.

EDIT: Scrap that, it was hemiacetal, which is a hydroxy ether, but still nucleophilic addition.

wasn't one of the hydrogens lost on the oxygen ? because youv'e gone from an alcohol to an ether ?
Original post by SubwayLover1
wasn't one of the hydrogens lost on the oxygen ? because youv'e gone from an alcohol to an ether ?

Yes, but this isn't a leaving group, this is only being picked up by the leftover base (i.e. O+) and donating an electron pair to O+.

No C=O double bond was re-formed by kicking out a leaving group: O:- accepted a proton to form the hydroxyl group.
Original post by Cadherin
Yes, but this isn't a leaving group, this is only being picked up by the leftover base (i.e. O+) and donating an electron pair to O+.

No C=O double bond was re-formed by kicking out a leaving group: O:- accepted a proton to form the hydroxyl group.

true ! the naming bit was a seperate question wasn't it ?

I think I did the mechanism correct!
Reply 1638
Original post by RME11
Was a tough paper, but I can't see the AQA doing much - the questions about lidocaine/polymers for stitches etc were how science works questions that required thinking outside of the box, they've been pretty on point with the HSW stuff in the past couple of years..

I agree with this, im so frustrated with myself because instead of using knowledge i already knew, i got too intimidated by the strangeness of the questions and started to think WAY outside the box(plus the thinking time was strict on this paper), i found myself crossing out a few right answers to put in wrong ones
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending