The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

For that diner question i seem to have done it a totally different way, which is probably wrong, i treated the things they gave us as given that and did 0.45 x 77 to get 34.65 ?
What did you guys put for q3 pmcc? I put decreases (gets closer to 1) as Sxy increases
Does anyone remember how many marks the last part of the Sara and Rebecca question was?
I accidentally missed a two mark question, I feel stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1104
Original post by the-anonymous-me
Does anyone remember how many marks the last part of the Sara and Rebecca question was?

4 marks

Definitely 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

4marks but can anyone explain how can they get those answers..?
Original post by Bloom77
I got 0.36 for the last one, anyone else?

Easy paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got 0.36 too.Easy paper overall.
Anybody think these Maths papers are getting harder and harder now? I know there was uproar in the news about hard GCSE Edexcel papers this year. It looks like they are bumping up the difficulty across the whole board. I dread to think about C3 and C4 next year...

Not sure but I think it was 4 marks
Reckon I got 69-72. Bit disappointed personally. Standard deviation stayed the same right?
(edited 7 years ago)
we need to make a mark scheme, does anyone have any of the questions?
Original post by target21859
What did you guys put for q3 pmcc? I put decreases (gets closer to 1) as Sxy increases

yh same but i talked about the correlation that alot of rain and alot of sunshine would cause r to become more positive correlation and hence r decreased (got closer to 1) and then also talked about sxy .
There needs to be a hitler video for this paaper ngl
Mark scheme anyone ??

4 marks
Got exactly the same I think
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Did anyone get 0.680 for the standard deviation (where mean = 3.43) and 0.254 for the normal distribution question at the end of question 5? Some people seem to have similar answers but I might have got rounding errors.

Also, what was the effect of the new data on the PMCC for question 3?

I got 0.680 too

For the PMCC, I just guessed as no effect... But I've seen some posts here saying it should have increased
Hey guys I've got my answers here:

Predicting 63+ is an A and not lower because it wasn't that bad of a paper. Theory questions threw me off a bit though.

Q1. 11 total i think
a) was Sdd or something (3)
b) wiggles is the response variable as it changes depending distance (1)
c) r = 0.722 + 0.014d
d) d= 350 sub in so w = 5.6 ish?
Q2 Sarah one
a) equation is 2p + q = 0.5
b) a= 0.175 b= 0.15
c) idkd) E(R) = 1/E(X) so 0.45?
e) Sarah wins = 0.475 Rebeccawins= 0.375

Q3 with frequencies?
a) heigh of bar and width igot something like 34cm and 1cm?
b) show that Syy is (1) didn’tdo this right lol
c) PMCC
d) SD
e) What were the other questions?

Q4 Hotel one
a) 0
b) t =0.03
c) u = 0.22
d) 0.45 and 15/37
e) diners 16? Some people say 33

Q5
a) median 3.47
b) SD = 0.689?
c) mean proof 3.43
d) Probability baby wasunder 3kg something like 0.2546
e) explain the use ofthe model? (2)I said that althoughthe range chosen was appropriate as mean was 3.43 for both and SD was close tothe calculated one, there is negative skew as median>mean so not good to use this model as mean and SD are affected by skew.
f) effect of adding baby weight of 3.43 on (3)
i) mean I said staysthe same because I sneakily calculated it , because the frequency becomes 51and value is within range or something
ii) SD the SDincreases? Don’t remember. Because there are more values to be accounted for inthe calculation so spread is increased?

Q6.
a) 0.0668 men took over 300 min to run
b) needs to run below 206.33 minutes to be in 20% of people who finish first
c)
d) the mew one0.18/0.5 = 0.36 (3)

Let me know what I'm missing and I've done wrong as well as the marks for each if you remember

Quick Reply

Latest