The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What did everyone put for ethics consent form i wrote it like a letter is that right?
Unofficial mark scheme for research methods anyone?? Please
Original post by charlie2466
QUESTIONNNN! I'm thinking I may have written the wrong numbers down on the side as I didn't see a certain question and dunno think I may have not correctly written the right numbers. Will this cause me to loose all the marks?! :frown:

This is exactly me! I'm pretty sure I missed out the question about how to measure internal validity but I think I went on to answer the next question in its place and so on... I feel like the examiners will have common sense enough to know what we're talking about though (I hope). It seems to be a pretty common mistake.
what does everyone think the grade boundaries will be? want everyone to answer this question so we can find an average figure.
Original post by andymharrison_
what does everyone think the grade boundaries will be? want everyone to answer this question so we can find an average figure.

I have absolutely no idea as thegrade boundaries last year went up quite a bit last year especially for Unit 4. Unit 3 wasn't too bad as the grade boundaries only went up one so I will imagine they will stay around the same.

Unit 3 C=34/35 B=38/39 A=44/45 A*=50/51
These could go up to 36, 40, 46 and 52

Unit 4 I have no idea if the grade boundaries could be put down or put up as there has been quite a few varied answers on here i.e. people loving it and people absolutely hating it.

C= 37-43 B=43-50 A=50-57 A*=57-64.

The first numbers are what the grade boundaries were in 2014 and the last number is the grade boundaries from last year. So could be between them or slightly higher depending on how the rest of the country did...
Original post by Oiseaux
This is exactly me! I'm pretty sure I missed out the question about how to measure internal validity but I think I went on to answer the next question in its place and so on... I feel like the examiners will have common sense enough to know what we're talking about though (I hope). It seems to be a pretty common mistake.

Literally that's the EXACT question I left out!! Because I remember reading it when I first read over but I don't remember answering it and think I've also done the next one in its place. Wahh, yes let's hope so
Original post by andymharrison_

I think that unit 3 boundries may drop a little from last year, i struggled on the sleep question but many others didnt, i know gender threw people off but it depends how many people did gender.. so it may drop a few marks.

Unit 4 i think a slightly larger drop because for schizophrenia nobody expected biological therapies to come up again (i didnt really struggle with that one) but most people did schizophrenia. Dont think anyone struggled with media, addiction etc.. but some of the research methods threw alot of people including myself. I think overall this will be lower than last year.

Anyone else?
Original post by charlie2466
Literally that's the EXACT question I left out!! Because I remember reading it when I first read over but I don't remember answering it and think I've also done the next one in its place. Wahh, yes let's hope so

That's actually SO weird! I don't even remember reading it - I think i saw "internal validity" and assumed it was the previous question :colondollar:. I guess we'll see on results day...
Help please! I realised that for the addiction 4 marker I misread the question as 'biological approach to addiction' rather than initiation to smoking, so I wrote about biological model on general addiction such as gambling and smoking and all of the stages will this mean I've lost the whole 4 marks??
Original post by Elisexfent
Help please! I realised that for the addiction 4 marker I misread the question as 'biological approach to addiction' rather than initiation to smoking, so I wrote about biological model on general addiction such as gambling and smoking and all of the stages will this mean I've lost the whole 4 marks??

i doubt youll lose 4 marks, i think youll probably get some if somewhere you wrote about the initiation to smoking
Reply 6390
What was media question for the first one, I think I did it wrong
Original post by Onica
What was media question for the first one, I think I did it wrong

Was it the scenorio one?
About childrens Tv programmes for Prosocial behaviour?
Reply 6392
Original post by Abbey15
Was it the scenorio one?
About childrens Tv programmes for Prosocial behaviour?

yeah. Did we have to provide details in how the programme should be created??

I can't remember
Original post by Onica
yeah. Did we have to provide details in how the programme should be created??

I can't remember

We had to offer advice on type of programme, charecters etc, and back it up with SLT and others like that i think, thats what i did anyway kept linking it back to the scenorio.
Reply 6394
Original post by Abbey15
We had to offer advice on type of programme, charecters etc, and back it up with SLT and others like that i think, thats what i did anyway kept linking it back to the scenorio.

I think I did it wrong but can you check if its right?
I was rushing that I couldn't think properly!

So, first I put forward the idea of SLT and outlined the theory (observation, imitation, vicarious reinforcement etc.) I also stated the idea of age, gender etc increasing the likelihood of the behaviour being displayed. I then explained how this theory can be used to explain pro-social behaviour.

I then have an example of a programme that they could put on tv. I don't know if this is right or if it makes sense, but I said that they could create a game show programme, where the people in that programme will be both girls and boys and children. I said that the programme will be centralised on teamwork and cooperation (pro-social behaviour') where teams have to work to win. The winning team gets medals. I said that tho supports SLT as it will increase the chances if this behaviour being displayed, for example, children may imitate this in school when they have to work in teams and cooperate. I said that , presuming that children of both genders will watch this, that's why the programme should include children and of both gender to incase the chances of it being displayed.

I then stated a study to back up the idea that promoting pro -social behaviour in the media had led to successful pro'-social behaviour. I used Lassie.,

Did I do it incorrect ? Was I meant to use an existing programme or will I still get marks?? I'm sure it said to create a programme

Also, was I meant to talk about more than one theory, or will one explanation suffice?? I didn't get the 'research' part so added one at the end bac k up my points that the media can be successful in promoting pro -social behaviour
I think I did it wrong!
Original post by htothea
So this has been haunting me all night: for the question asking why random allocation of participants was used I had a mind blank and just wrote: to avoid researched bias/investigator effects e.g. this would avoid the researchers (unconsciously) picking all the individuals with higher anxiety scores to take part in the programme because they think that they are more likely to have at least some decrease in anxiety scores so it will make the programme seem effective. Therefore this would avoid invalid results.

Is that even a point?! Will I get any marks? When I got home I realised I should have just put to reduce the effect of participant variables...

Yep, and to show a clear difference in the set of results as to whether the therapy works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Onica
I think I did it wrong but can you check if its right?
I was rushing that I couldn't think properly!

So, first I put forward the idea of SLT and outlined the theory (observation, imitation, vicarious reinforcement etc.) I also stated the idea of age, gender etc increasing the likelihood of the behaviour being displayed. I then explained how this theory can be used to explain pro-social behaviour.

I then have an example of a programme that they could put on tv. I don't know if this is right or if it makes sense, but I said that they could create a game show programme, where the people in that programme will be both girls and boys and children. I said that the programme will be centralised on teamwork and cooperation (pro-social behaviour') where teams have to work to win. The winning team gets medals. I said that tho supports SLT as it will increase the chances if this behaviour being displayed, for example, children may imitate this in school when they have to work in teams and cooperate. I said that , presuming that children of both genders will watch this, that's why the programme should include children and of both gender to incase the chances of it being displayed.

I then stated a study to back up the idea that promoting pro -social behaviour in the media had led to successful pro'-social behaviour. I used Lassie.,

Did I do it incorrect ? Was I meant to use an existing programme or will I still get marks?? I'm sure it said to create a programme

Also, was I meant to talk about more than one theory, or will one explanation suffice?? I didn't get the 'research' part so added one at the end bac k up my points that the media can be successful in promoting pro -social behaviour
I think I did it wrong!

I don't think you did, you should have saved yourself the hassle by using a superhero lol. The lassie study pretty much gives it away as to what you should use as the programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6397
Original post by nemanuel96
I don't think you did, you should have saved yourself the hassle by using a superhero lol. The lassie study pretty much gives it away as to what you should use as the programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay phew. I thought I did it wrong! Yeah i could of, but I was kinda rushing, so that idea came up in my head and I just wrote it.
I'm still confused about the 'research' part so I just used it to back the idea of the media promoting pro-social behaviour, I hope I did that right.

Did we have to include more than one explanation, or will one be enough to get good to full marks??
I'm guessing the outline of SLT will be A01, the application A03 and the reaserch A02?
What did people write for the research methods question where it said why did they use random sampling? And what did you write about how to conduct a random sample? Thanks
Original post by bullseye1
What did people write for the research methods question where it said why did they use random sampling? And what did you write about how to conduct a random sample? Thanks

I put they used random sampling in order to reduce investigator bias so the study would be more fair. Using this method meant that the investigators wouldn't be influencing who would be in each condition. For the method I used pulling a name out of a hat and described it.

Latest

Trending

Trending