The Student Room Group

UCL vs Warwick vs LSE in Political Theory

I've applied for:

UCL - MA in Legal and Political Theory
Warwick - MA in Political and Legal Theory
LSE - MSc Political Theory

I've received offers from all these schools. However, Warwick is the only school in which I'll be offered funding, with 50-percent reduction of tuition fees.

In terms of school's prestige, LSE is the best (at least this is true in my city, Hong Kong). Then comes UCL and Warwick.

My family can only afford the expenses and fees required in studying at LSE or UCL reluctantly. But they are willing to pay for that, they say, if I can get to study at a much more prestigious school than Warwick.

Given my situation, can anyone give me some advice? Personally I'd prefer Warwick, as it'd reduce the financial burden on my family. But if UCL and LSE are indeed MUCH BETTER than Warwick, I'd consider these two options more carefully.

Most importantly, will I be much more disadvantaged with a Warwick's MA when applying for MPhil/PhD in LSE or even Oxbridge?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentfromhk
I've applied for:

UCL - MA in Legal and Political Theory
Warwick - MA in Political and Legal Theory
LSE - MSc Political Theory

I've received offers from all these schools. However, Warwick is the only school in which I'll be offered funding, with 50-percent reduction of tuition fees.

In terms of school's prestige, LSE is the best (at least this is true in my city, Hong Kong). Then comes UCL and Warwick.

My family can only afford the expenses and fees required in studying at LSE or UCL reluctantly. But they are willing to pay for that, they say, if I can get to study at a much more prestigious school than Warwick.

Given my situation, can anyone give me some advice? Personally I'd prefer Warwick, as it'd reduce the financial burden on my family. But I'm still looking for some advice. If UCL and LSE are indeed MUCH BETTER than Warwick, I'd consider these two options more carefully.

Most importantly, will I be much more disadvantaged with a Warwick's MA when applying for PhD in LSE or even Oxbridge?

Thanks!

In England, I can't see how UCL is preferred over Warwick. My advice is to go with Warwick, it's an elite university and it's far cheaper to live than London.
Original post by Magnus Taylor
In England, I can't see how UCL is preferred over Warwick. My advice is to go with Warwick, it's an elite university and it's far cheaper to live than London.

I'm quite confused when it comes to the reputation of UK's schools. My professor comes from England,and he says LSE>UCL>>>Warwick. But to my observation Warwick is a really reputable school according to many members here.

Also important are the academic staff. Some staff in Warwick mesh perfectly well with my academic interests.

What I concern most is how I can better prepare for MPhil/PhD application, as my professor said UCL would be a better option if I'd love to apply for Oxbridge. But when I consult the REF scores, although Warwick is not as good as Oxford and LSE, it performs better than UCL in politics.

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentfromhk
I'm quite confused when it comes to the reputation of UK's schools. My professor comes from England,and he says LSE>UCL>>>Warwick. But to my observation Warwick is a really reputable school according to many members here.

Also important are the academic staff. Some staff in Warwick mesh perfectly well with my academic interests.

What I concern most is how I can better prepare for MPhil/PhD application, as my professor said UCL would be a better option if I'd love to apply for Oxbridge. But when I consult the REF scores, although Warwick is not as good as Oxford and LSE, it performs better than UCL in politics.

Thank you!

I study at Warwick and most people here have chosen it over UCL. LSE might be a tad stronger in politics but the disadvantages Warwick have are heavily mitigated by the cheaper living costs, your funding, and it is generally improving overall and rapidly becoming an established presence. The reason it is not fully comparable to Oxford is age. Warwick was created in 1965 and will take time to become fully elite
Reply 4
I think the LSE>UCL>Warwick theory applies for the parent uni when you factor all departments where UCL outperforms Warwick (Biosciences, law, medicine, history and architecture). But if you purely at relevant politics department, the department's reputation (REP score) is more relevant for your PhD goal. I think for Political Theory, UCL and Warwick are equal peers. You won't be worse off academically at Warwick for politics.

If you wish to apply for DPhil at Oxbridge, a MSc from Warwick merit equal consideration as UCL. Other factors play vital role: grades, funding, references and research proposal in line with supervisor's interests. 50% tuition scholarship and lower living costs add up to significant savings. Your scholarship would look good at on your CV.

I would recommend Warwick given you are cost sensitive and happy with Warwick's syllabus. Good luck.
LSE> (Warwick= UCL). To be honest, choose any, they all have the same grad prospects and Warwick is opening a campus in California too- their reputation is globally rising fast.
Reply 6
I have studied in UK for 2 years.
In China, the employers are more likely to view the QS Univesities rank.
According to this, LSE > UCL>Warwick.
But, when I came here, I find that LSE>Warwick>UCL.
Because our lecturers always think that Warwick is more famous university.
I have friends who are studying in Warwick, his friend's mom is a professor in UCL.
His mom send his son to Warwick not UCL.
I think Warwick is better than UCL
Thanks for this thread! I applied to the same courses at LSE and Warwick and was wondering what you chose in the end and what you thought so that I can make up my mind.
Original post by CorneliaHi
Thanks for this thread! I applied to the same courses at LSE and Warwick and was wondering what you chose in the end and what you thought so that I can make up my mind.

Sent you a private message! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending