The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B (Salters) F334/F335 Exam Thread 2016 (14th/22nd June)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _MAT_
Vanadium.PNG

http://www.docbrown.info/page07/transition03V.htm

Look at the table for vanadium 2+/3+, it's -0.26 exactly so I am fairly certain that those saying -0.26 in the exam were correct

I see. Thanks. Question was worded awfully in that case and the sooner somebody gets hold of the paper the sooner I can put my case forward

Posted from TSR Mobile
*sigh*
Original post by Zuzuvela
It's +1.80V they swapped the chromium for vanadium. They said the potential difference was +1.03V, and that the new electrode(vanadium) had the same sign as the opposing electrode (iron, +0.77)
Potential difference is most positive minus least positive .
So least positive plus potential difference is most positive
(+0.77 + +1.03 = 1.80V)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Idk if it was just an ambiguous question but the electrode potential of the V3+/V2+ half-cell is definitely -0.26. I looked it up. So unless I have the wrong half-cell it must be right, surely?
Sorry for posting that again, didn't realise it had already been resolved!
Original post by phagocyte1998
Sorry for posting that again, didn't realise it had already been resolved!

No worries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I felt that there were a lot of ambiguous and poorly worded questions on that paper. In many cases I had two ideas and didn't know which one to choose.
Reply 566
I see. Thanks. Question was worded awfully in that case and the sooner somebody gets hold of the paper the sooner I can put my case forward

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is true, with any luck, they'll accept your answer anyway as they sometimes do with confusing questions
Reply 567
I felt that there were a lot of ambiguous and poorly worded questions on that paper. In many cases I had two ideas and didn't know which one to choose.

I agree, the membrane question in particular I had two answers and decided to go with the 'simpler'
Original post by _MAT_
I agree, the membrane question in particular I had two answers and decided to go with the 'simpler'

I did the same. I was also not sure whether to draw zwitterions for the products of hydrolysis and I wasn't sure whether at 70 degrees the enzyme would be completely denatured (and so not function at all) or whether some enzyme would still catalyse the reaction. In the end I said that there would be a horizontal straight line on the graph of substrate conc vs rate because all of the active sites would be lost...
Reply 569
I did the same. I was also not sure whether to draw zwitterions for the products of hydrolysis and I wasn't sure whether at 70 degrees the enzyme would be completely denatured (and so not function at all) or whether some enzyme would still catalyse the reaction. In the end I said that there would be a horizontal straight line on the graph of substrate conc vs rate because all of the active sites would be lost...

I assumed there'd be a tiny amount so I did a little curve and then a straight line
Reply 570
Original post by _MAT_
I assumed there'd be a tiny amount so I did a little curve and then a straight line

Most graphs of enzyme activity have no activity at about 65 however I have found one which does so I would assume they'd accept both
Original post by _MAT_

Hopefully they'll credit both. I don't see how we're meant to know the temperature at which all the enzyme is denatured anyway...

What did you put for the question about the volatile liquids?
Original post by _MAT_

Wait where we supposed to draw something???😳😳😳😳
Original post by Marli-Ruth

I think the question asked you to describe and explain the shape of the graph - I didn't draw anything but they probably credit drawings as well as descriptions.
I think the question asked you to describe and explain the shape of the graph - I didn't draw anything but they probably credit drawings as well as descriptions.

You just saved me from a breakdown <3
Hopefully they'll credit both. I don't see how we're meant to know the temperature at which all the enzyme is denatured anyway...

That was tricky bromine is volatile and so is water. Its another unclear question. If water wasnt volatile our clothes wouldn't dry at room temperature, and we would never have messed around in year 7 wasting 3 days at a time making salt crystals

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was tricky bromine is volatile and so is water. Its another unclear question. If water wasnt volatile our clothes wouldn't dry at room temperature, and we would never have messed around in year 7 wasting 3 days at a time making salt crystals

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! I said water :frown: is it wrong?
Reply 577

No but I did anyway
Reply 578

If they are all equally volatile, they'll all evaporate at the same rate so concentrations will remain constant

If one is more volatile than the others, the concentration will change so rate will change

If source of H+ ions is more volatile, it'll have more of an effect on the rate
Reply 579
You just saved me from a breakdown <3

Oops, sorry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending