The Student Room Group

Re: Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Tectonic activity & Hazards (2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by eggelo12
Seen a couple potential questions on here, does anyone else have any that their teachers have given for report titles?

These are what my teacher has given us:
- evaluate the role of volcanic and seismic processes in creating a range of distinctive landscapes over time
- explain why tectonic processes produce a variety of contrasting landscapes at different scales
- asses to what extent tectonic processes play a major role in he global distribution of distinctive landscapes
- asses the reasons why distinctive landscapes are formed in areas of tectonic activity

These aren't to dissimilar to the 2011 paper

If they ask to what extent, how would you do this? Thanks 😀
Original post by JS20
Asked my teacher and she said try not to remove any case studies there is no chance I can mention 9 with a few diagrams in 50 mins main section part!!!!

Which ones does everyone recommend I remove whilst still having balance?

Extrusive- Mauna Loa, Yellowstone, Soufriere Hills, Mid-Atlantic Ridge
Intrusive- Dartmoor Batholith, Northumbria Sills, Volcanic Plug Edinburgh
Fold- Himalayas
Fault- East Africa Rift Valley

You don't need to write about 9 case studies specifically, I did several mocks with 4 in each report and managed to get high A's/A* in both, you need to have around 6 which you can adapt to the potential report titles we may be given. I would practice doing this a couple time (brainstorm not write full report). I'm focusing on the West coast USA (San Andreas, mt St. Helens and Yellowstone), Hawaii, isle of Arran, Iceland and African rift.

The USA has 3 sub sections but depending on the question I would probably only write about two with continuous evaluation and interlinking case studies

A lot of the questions we could be given can be bent around most case studies, you've just got to ensure that the evaluation justifies why you may have taken and alternate view on the question. It's all valid if it makes sense and in the end you can answer the report title.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by dawndo
If they ask to what extent, how would you do this? Thanks 😀

For example with the third bullet point, I'd explore a couple case studies like Hawaii and Iceland for volcanic/ tectonic processes but would argue that seismic processes also provides distinct landscapes (for the to what extent part). You could also comment on how tectonic processes are impacted by erosion and weathering for this as well
Reply 163
asses to what extent tectonic processes play a major role in he global distribution of distinctive landscapes - how would you structure this?
I don't like this question :frown:
Reply 165
How many case studies is everyone planning to do? My teacher only told us to do 2/3 but it seems like everyone else is going to do more?
Original post by JPFM
asses to what extent tectonic processes play a major role in he global distribution of distinctive landscapes - how would you structure this?

For this I would probably focus on the contrasting plate boundaries as you could then conclude with how each boundary varies with the scale of landscape they produce.

Focus on overall landscape case studies not just specific landforms e.g. West Coast USA (San Andrés and Yellowstone within this) and the African rift (micro. Scale divergent landforms collection to form a larger landscape)
Reply 167
You don't need to write about 9 case studies specifically, I did several mocks with 4 in each report and managed to get high A's/A* in both, you need to have around 6 which you can adapt to the potential report titles we may be given. I would practice doing this a couple time (brainstorm not write full report). I'm focusing on the West coast USA (San Andreas, mt St. Helens and Yellowstone), Hawaii, isle of Arran, Iceland and African rift.

The USA has 3 sub sections but depending on the question I would probably only write about two with continuous evaluation and interlinking case studies

A lot of the questions we could be given can be bent around most case studies, you've just got to ensure that the evaluation justifies why you may have taken and alternate view on the question. It's all valid if it makes sense and in the end you can answer the report title.

Hope this helps :smile:
would you split this report into locational sections, intrusive/extrusive or boundary type?
Original post by Bosif
would you split this report into locational sections, intrusive/extrusive or boundary type?

I focus on locations and explain witin the case study why each area has that landform due to the boundary, intrusive or extrusive activity
Reply 169
Does anyone have a Geofactsheet or Geofile reference to be used with the East African valley?
Reply 170
I focus on locations and explain witin the case study why each area has that landform due to the boundary, intrusive or extrusive activity

Thankyou, I appreciate the input
Reply 171
Original post by Raisa97
one good way is evaluating your methodology in the conclusion, so if your research process was difficult?, what were the strengths and weaknesses?, one evaluating point could be that finding case studies on volcanic activity is limited. This is because volcanic landscapes form for over long periods of time therefore there aren't many recent case studies, whereas its not the case for seismic. As seismic are much more frequent and can impact the land formation in a matter of seconds this happens along the SA fault as rivers/streams start to offset as a result of tectonic activity, or in china the Sichuan earthquake created over 30
quake lakes.
hope this helps:smile:

Thanks a lot
Reply 172

How about if my split my analysis into extrusive , intrusive , seismic
And for each I talk about locations EG isle of Arran for intrusive (and has some extrusive)
Reply 173
Original post by Tdkh98
I can send you a draft I have written if that would help you with structure case studies etc ...

Would you mind sending it to me as well? My email is [email protected]
Original post by Zilein
How about if my split my analysis into extrusive , intrusive , seismic
And for each I talk about locations EG isle of Arran for intrusive (and has some extrusive)

That should work as well :smile:
If it asks for seismic processes can you only talk about earthquakes or can you talk about examples like the himalayas. I'm really confused about the difference between seismic and tectonic activity.
How many words should the essay be?
Original post by AidanGadd
How many words should the essay be?

Think it should be about 9-10 pages.
Reply 178
Hi
Does anyone have any reports they have done i could look at as I have not done well in this all year, literally reading everyones posts clueless...
Im hoping to structure it with
landscapes created my extrusive...
intrusive...
seismic... if that helps? Help :frown: my unit 3 was a joke
Reply 179
Original post by janeggg
for those doing it by plate boundary type, how many landforms do you include for each one?

around 3 or 4, so for constructive plate boundary i've done island landscape, rift valley, mid-ocean ridge and the cairngorms

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending