The Student Room Group

Can I change my job title on my CV?

I'm not intending to make any drastic changes obviously but just something to make me more employable.

e.g finance assistant to finance analyst

Thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
I wouldn't. That's actually a pretty significant change and one that suggests you are more senior than you are.

Plus potentially people will look at your responsibilities listed in your work experience and wonder why they don't match up to your job title.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would have thought analyst denotes an entry level position though? and i'm aware that there's a significant difference between a financial analyst and a finance analyst.

Internally, we all give ourselves the title of finance analysts although the contract says finance assistant. So if a future employer were to point out a mismatch during the screening process, couldn't i simply explain this?
Reply 2
You shouldn't risk doing that. I work in quite a reputable law firm and when I was offered the position, they got an external company to do a full screening check on me. So they contacted my previous employers and asked them how long I was there, my exact position etc. If a future employer screens you and they find out you were really a financial assistant, they could potentially revoke any offer made to you because they tend to be subject to you providing accurate info.
Reply 3
In my experience, things have changed on how applications are checked by employers. They no longer ask for references from your past employers (i think because if you get a bad reference you can sue?), but they jsut check your job title, and that you worked the length of time you claim to have worked there.

So if your going to do any bending of the truth, i would avoid changing your title and duration of employment. Im sure you will be fine with assistant :biggrin:
I wouldn't advise it based on your example. I've seen people change "senior engineer" to "senior mechanical engineer" and the like to provide further clarity, but assistant and analyst could be viewed as very different grades of seniority depending on where you apply. Ultimately it should be your experience that matters, not the title.
Original post by lottiew_
I'm not intending to make any drastic changes obviously but just something to make me more employable.

e.g finance assistant to finance analyst

Thoughts?

Yes you can, and in many cases you should (ie never say you were a Crew Member at McDonalds unless you are applying to McDonalds), but you can't do it in a way that might mislead or deceive.

The test I usually apply is, would my line manager when I was in that role accept that job title? If I think my line manager wouldn't worry (ignoring their personal preferences), ie Crew Member to Food Server, or Shop Assistant etc, then it's OK. If they would raise an eyebrow, then it isn't. And remember they may well find out, if asked for a reference.

Assistant to Analyst depends on what evidence you are able to give. I don't see it as particularly an issue of seniority, more of skills. Did you just to jobs as directed and assist the overall work output, or did you do standalone analysis, produce reports, papers etc? Was analysis the core of your work, or was it to assist others in delivering other roles in the office?
Finance industries tend to carry out rigorous background checks on candidates, specifically: job title, place of work, salary, duration of employment, sickness and absences, type of employment (contractually), and reason for leaving. Discrepancy in job titles might be a cause for concern, possibly leading to the withdrawal of an offer. It depends on your assessment of the benefit (to you) of amending the job titles against the potential outcomes if this is flagged as an issue by a prospective employer. It's your call, of course, but I would advise against it.
Reply 7
You're better off including your actual job title along with a list of your main duties and key achievements. The risk is that you anger a recruiter by wasting their time and burn a bridge because they deemed you as trying to be deceptive about your actual job title. How would you explain it if brought up in interview? It's really not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending