The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HistoryStudent1
How did you find the estimate? I got 4.49

Never mind, I figured it out, so annoyed I missed that.
Original post by Salty carpet
Anyone remember how many marks the triangle one was worth?

6 M
Original post by Manliker
1.51?

For the second part, finding an estimate for just x^x ? Did no one else get this?
Original post by bartbarrow
ln(x^2) = 2lnx
(ln(x))^2 cannot be simplified

You had to rewrite (lnx)^2 as lnx*lnx

When using the integration by parts could u use the chain rule to differentiate

to
or something like that
What was the estimation question after the simpsons? I keep getting 3.01 rather than 1.51

Wasn't it the integral of 5-x^x between 1.7 and 0.2??
Original post by Parhomus
6 M

I thought it was 4 but if you're sure then I'll take your word
Original post by lollypandahype
What was the estimation question after the simpsons? I keep getting 3.01 rather than 1.51

Wasn't it the integral of 5-x^x between 1.7 and 0.2??

The limits were the same as the simpsons question. Cant remember them tho
Original post by fpmaniac
The limits were the same as the simpsons question. Cant remember them tho

1.7 and 0.4 broseph
Original post by Barbecuetime123
1.7 and 0.4 broseph

Wasnt it 0.5? Because that gave height of 0.2
Original post by Faz The Poet

Oh yeah, you're right

to
or something like that

Yes but the question was integrate ((lnx)^2)/(x^2)

to
or something like that

Yes, that is how it was done in one past paper before
got a little rant to post about that mother****ing core 3 exam
it was completely different to anything we've ever seen before????????!!!!!!!!! what the **** like there were 9 question mother****ing 9 ?????????? could anyone even answer question 9 like was it even possible?????? i have never seen anything like that before or been taught how to do it and then you need that in order to answer the next 2 questions and it was worth 8 marks!!!!!!!!!! how the **** i am supposed to ****ing show that i do in fact know how to complete part c if i can't work out part a because it has never been a question before??????also why would u include a mother ****ing area of a triangle that is irrelevant afcould u pls also explain what ln(3x) squared is i mean the following 7 marks relied on me knowing that????????? (I didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)STOP GIVING US HENCE QUESTIONS WHEN WE CANT WORK OUT THE BIT BEFORE THE ****ING HENCEX^x ????????????????????????//the face that i was RELIEVED about seeing an integration by subsitution question after praying all week that it WOULDN'T come up really says a lota ****ing range question worth 5 MARKS???????Look at the mother****ING PAST PAPERS IN COMPARISON TO THAT QUESTION AND TO ALL THE QUESTIONS???i've been getting As and Bs in all my mocks, i've even got full marks a few times but i managed to miss about about 30 marks worth of questions and then was unable to complete any of the others :smile:also giving us a simpsons rule question with SIX strips to do in 4 minutes is quite a lot don't u think???AND SINCE WHEN DID A CORE 3 PAPER HAVE 9 QUESTIONS????????thank u so much aqa looking forward to seeing the grade boundaries as low as ur popularity right now although no matter how low they are i'm still ****ed lol xxxxxxxxxx
couldnt you rearrage (lnx)^2 to 2lnx and then take the 2 out of the integral???

Original post by Dapperblook22
Yes, that is how it was done in one past paper before

When inputting the limits did you get (ln1) in your answer somewhere since it was ln(3x) and one of the limits was 1/3 and which lead to the final answer
pi(-2(lnx)^2)
so it can give 2pi and then inside the integral lnx/x^2
Original post by Faz The Poet

Ah thank you! I think I might have accidentally put it as 0.2 instead of 0.5 for the final estimation part, ugh. Hopefully I'll still get the method mark(s) for that question even with using the incorrect lower limit.
Firstly, I took a bit of a punt and I'm presuming it's wrong by saying that ln(3x)^2 = ln(3x) + ln(3x), and secondly, I have no idea how to prepare for core 4 now because obviously working through past papers until I'm at A* level hasn't worked...
Regarding the volumes of revolution question, is it ok to have u as (ln(3x))^2 and v' = x^-2 ?

and then u' = (2/x)*(ln3x) and v = -1/x

and go from there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending