The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Is anyone trying to just memorise a report they've done?
Original post by JPFM
Is anyone trying to just memorise a report they've done?

Not a good idea to be honest, as memorising a whole report might mean you answering a different question and loosing all the research and analysis marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zReevieee
what you putting in your conclusion? im gonna mention hotspots, im setting mine out pretty similar,

I haven't yet structured a conclusion as it depends entirely on the question. So I am just gonna revise the mark scheme and make sure I include as may points as possible. However the way my drafts have been going I'm not even sure ill make it to the conclusion. To make things shorter in my main section i have only done the main extrusive and intrusive features while avoiding a lot of others for example (extrusive= fissure eruptions, shield volcanoes and a very brief mentioning of calderas) while for the intrusive features im just gonna use the isle of arran and try include sills, batholiths and dykes.
is anyone doing culture? i haven't even started on it yet... kinda been blowing it off as long as i could...
Original post by Smash98
Is anyone doing culture-globalisation for unit 4? We've just planned 7 possible frameworks for having one global culture...etc

Wait what do uo mean 7 frameworks? like 7 different essays of how to answer the question?
Reply 765
Original post by Sharkindustries
Not a good idea to be honest, as memorising a whole report might mean you answering a different question and loosing all the research and analysis marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which topic are you doing?
Guys, can landscapes include underwater?
Also, hotspots are a tectonic process right but don't involve plate boundaries right?

Ugh, I'm so geographically challenged.
Reply 767
Do you put identify your case studies in the intro or research&methodology section???
Reply 768
If anyone has any Unit 4- Tectonic Hazards notes on pre-release info can they please send it to me :/? PM me please
Original post by Manexopi
Guys, can landscapes include underwater?
Also, hotspots are a tectonic process right but don't involve plate boundaries right?

Ugh, I'm so geographically challenged.

I believe so - I'm using the Japan Trench and Mid Atlantic Ridge which are underwater

Yes hotspots and intrusive activity are tectonic but not at boundaries :smile:
Original post by Silverstars123
yellowstone, san andreas fault, andes and glen Coa are good ones

is Yellowstone not classed as a hotspot?
Original post by zReevieee
yeah! briefly

how you're applying this? Are you just briefly mentioning his continental drift theory and the idea of plate tectonics, and then linking this to tectonic activity? I want to include it but im unsure how
can someone help me... idea for an introduction.
The origins of plate tectonic theory began with Wegner's theory of continental drift and how the contents were originally joined together. From this and sea floor spreading we have come to plate tectonic theory, stating that the earths lithosphere is divided into 7 major tectonic plates that are moving in different directions, as well as different speeds. Thus, tectonic activity occurs at these plate boundaries, where both seismic and volcanic processes occur. These processes lead to an array of distinctive landscapes, with both intrusive and extrusive features.
Reply 773
If the question was "Evaluate the role of seismic processes in creating a range of distinctive landscapes" or "To what extent do seismic processes contribute to the formation of distinctive landscapes" would you still need to write about volcanic processes? Because I know very little on just seismic, I can only really talk about rift valleys so I would be quite stuck here. Please help! Thanks :smile:
Original post by MJS107
If the question was "Evaluate the role of seismic processes in creating a range of distinctive landscapes" or "To what extent do seismic processes contribute to the formation of distinctive landscapes" would you still need to write about volcanic processes? Because I know very little on just seismic, I can only really talk about rift valleys so I would be quite stuck here. Please help! Thanks :smile:

I'm fairly sure that you would talk about volcanic processes yeah, because you would then use that for your argument. saying on the other hand volcanic processes contribute to the formation of distinct landscapes?
Reply 775
Original post by fair.francesco
I'm fairly sure that you would talk about volcanic processes yeah, because you would then use that for your argument. saying on the other hand volcanic processes contribute to the formation of distinct landscapes?

Thanks. I think you would too as I would say volcanic processes have more of an impact on the landscape
Original post by Chrissy.98
I believe so - I'm using the Japan Trench and Mid Atlantic Ridge which are underwater

Yes hotspots and intrusive activity are tectonic but not at boundaries :smile:

Ah thank you!

how you're applying this? Are you just briefly mentioning his continental drift theory and the idea of plate tectonics, and then linking this to tectonic activity? I want to include it but im unsure how

I'm only mentioning the theory of plate tectonics. I thought continental drift is irrelevant now or something?

How is everyone defining landform and landscape?
Original post by Manexopi
Ah thank you!

I'm only mentioning the theory of plate tectonics. I thought continental drift is irrelevant now or something?

How is everyone defining landform and landscape?

continental drift provided a base for plate tectonic theory... check out my 'introduction' post I put. continental drift, lead to sea floor spreading, leading to plate tectonic theory
continental drift provided a base for plate tectonic theory... check out my 'introduction' post I put. continental drift, lead to sea floor spreading, leading to plate tectonic theory

Yeah but what is the point if you're going to be using the plate tectonic theory anyways. It sounds like wasted time to me.
how many marks due think this would get for a intro:

Tectonic activity refers to activity in the earth’s lithosphere. The lithosphere is the outer region of the mantle which consists of rigid material attached to the earth’s crust called plates. Convection currents in the earth’s mantle cause these plates to move.
Tectonic activity consists of a number of seismic and volcanic processes which form a variety of different landscapes along with different extrusive landforms (those present on the surface) and intrusive landforms (those intruded into the rock below the surface).
In this report I will examine how different seismic and volcanic processes can result in the formation of a number of distinctive landscapes such as the East African Rift, Mid-Atlantic ridge, Deccan plateau, the Andes and Isle of Arran.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending