The Student Room Group

OCR English Literature 17th June 2016 exam

Does anyone have any predictions for the King Lear question? And is anyone else doing Paradise Lost Book IX and The White Devil?

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by claudiar99
Does anyone have any predictions for the King Lear question? And is anyone else doing Paradise Lost Book IX and The White Devil?

Moved this to the English Study Help forum for you :smile:
Reply 3
what came up last year?

Well me and some of my friends have looked at the past questions and this is what we think:

Section A: King Lear -

1) Either a character question on the eponymous character, Lear OR a question on either one of Gloucester's sons (people are edging towards Edgar more than Edmond)

2) On the theme question, we aren't 100% on it, but possibly family relationships? Or the Old generation vs the New generation?

Section B: Paradise Lost + The White Devil -

To be honest, considering their is 6 propositions, there are 100 possibilities for this section. The reoccurring themes however that come up are (not in order of popularity):

1) Love/Sex or both together (also temptation comes into this heavily)
2) Power and corruption
3) Innocence
4)Marriage

So if you look through past questions and do a model essay for each of these, you should be good. Practice in timed conditions also. Hopefully this helps, and good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you so much!! Good luck :smile:
Original post by Gabriella_N
Well me and some of my friends have looked at the past questions and this is what we think:

Section A: King Lear -

1) Either a character question on the eponymous character, Lear OR a question on either one of Gloucester's sons (people are edging towards Edgar more than Edmond)

2) On the theme question, we aren't 100% on it, but possibly family relationships? Or the Old generation vs the New generation?

Section B: Paradise Lost + The White Devil -

To be honest, considering their is 6 propositions, there are 100 possibilities for this section. The reoccurring themes however that come up are (not in order of popularity):

1) Love/Sex or both together (also temptation comes into this heavily)
2) Power and corruption
3) Innocence
4)Marriage

So if you look through past questions and do a model essay for each of these, you should be good. Practice in timed conditions also. Hopefully this helps, and good luck :smile:

I am :smile:
For lear I think possibly one about goneril and regan or about Edmund and Edgar. For the theme question possibly madness? Or insight through suffering? There's so many gahh!!

For the comparison I think perhaps one on the portrayal of females or the consequences of sexual desire.

Good luck, I'm so nervous for this one
Reply 7
Original post by charlie2466
I am :smile:
For lear I think possibly one about goneril and regan or about Edmund and Edgar. For the theme question possibly madness? Or insight through suffering? There's so many gahh!!

For the comparison I think perhaps one on the portrayal of females or the consequences of sexual desire.

Good luck, I'm so nervous for this one

Thanks, good luck to you too! I'm terrified, especially bc the grade boundaries are disgusting and my school refuses to tell us our coursework grades until results day!

And yeah, I think a question on sexual desire is likely but how would you structure it? I can't think of that many points to make.
Reply 8
Is anyone doing Tess of the D'Ubervilles, William Blake or Post-1945 pastoral poetry?
Any predictions for the Tempest??? I was wondering whether Gonzalo could come up in the character question, or is that unlikely?
Reply 10
Original post by EilidhHide
Any predictions for the Tempest??? I was wondering whether Gonzalo could come up in the character question, or is that unlikely?

ariel will come up i am 65% sure
Original post by euan534
ariel will come up i am 65% sure

My teacher seems pretty sure too. Anyone doing Tis Pity She's a Whore?
Reply 12
Original post by chiarax213
My teacher seems pretty sure too. Anyone doing Tis Pity She's a Whore?[/QUOT

We're doing Tis Pity, I don't know many quotes from it though.
I'm doing King Lear and we have done a lot of practice on Edgar and the family in class, so I'm hoping one of those come up.
I'm also doing a lot of practice on Goneril and Reagan.
[QUOTE="Smith27;65814631"]
Original post by chiarax213
My teacher seems pretty sure too. Anyone doing Tis Pity She's a Whore?[/QUOT

We're doing Tis Pity, I don't know many quotes from it though.

I am doing TisPity and the Wife of Bath- but know hardly any quotes either
I'm doing A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Blake and The White Devil.
surely there's not enough to talk about Edgar! Would have to be heroic character like Kent and Cordelia in conjunction with Edgar. was thinking soemthing on Good Vs Evil with a focus on Gloucester's sons is likely, also Something on Goneril and Regan, maybe like Is there a negative depiction of women in King Lear or 'Goneril and Regan are not evil, but infact are formidable woman asserting themselves in a patriarchal society'. Discuss
Anyone got predictions of Section B, I;m doing Blake and The Rivals btw
Can someone please help? I've really messed up with my revision and done absolutely nothing. Will there be a 2017 retake for this exam?
How'd you all find it? :smile:
Original post by charlie2466
How'd you all find it? :smile:

What did you do?

Quick Reply