The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan to ban "body shaming" adverts from London Transport

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by drogon
You can go back to your own country then.

I'm not in the UK. Your ad hominem remark has failed. :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by Josb
I'm not in the UK. Your ad hominem remark has failed. :smile:

Good. Don't come. And what happens in the UK is none of your concern :h:
Reply 62
People are becoming very sensitive true.

But that ad is still passive aggressive. It implies that you require a certain body type and if I had a daughter I wouldn't want her around that kind of messaging.

Yes people are sensitive and they have every right to be offended. It did get signatures so I guess there's no harm done. The people didn't like it.
I think this conversation ties in with the thread a short while back regarding the fat acceptance movement and people's general opinions on it. I was going to comment on that thread but I didn't get around to it. My response was going to be that I don't really mind it so much, but it is tied in with the SJW crowd who enjoy using it to try and shout down people who try to promote healthy lifestyles and normal body sizes. This sort of thing just panders towards that sort of crowd.
For one thing this sort of action is entirely unnecessary. Plus it is a ridiculous overreaction. And if anyone is offended by those sort of adverts, it is because they choose to be offended, because they are a pathetic snowflake.

There is so much wrong with this decision, it just frustrates me. Not least of all because it is basically caving in to the ridiculous demands of the radical SJW scumbags.

Adverts like the Protein World adverts aren't bad, they were just targeting a rather specific demographic. Why should some 18 stone plus person, who doesn't do any exercise or sports, smokes, drinks frequently, and eats unhealthily be offended by adverts like the protein world adverts? It's not directed towards that sort of person. And yet that was exactly the sort of person who chose to be offended and kick up a fuss. Diddums.

When will people learn to grow up, grow a pair and get a ****ing clue?
(edited 7 years ago)
They'll find a way
And it already begins....a few weeks after election.
bet he wont ban burqa clad women will he this creates a dangerous precedent khan out
Reply 67
Original post by neal95
bet he wont ban burqa clad women will he this creates a dangerous precedent khan out

Have you heard of punctuation?
Original post by Zacken
Have you heard of punctuation?

no
Original post by Themini
Lol anything Sadiq Khan does is related back to islam in some way or another.. These guys are a joke lol.

Whats wrong with censoring images, especially those which cause insecurities amongst younger girls and often is the root cause of mental illnesses such as anorexia? I don't know about you but super skinny models/ those with the "perfect" body isn't always a possible target for achievement for most people. Most people cant get less than 10% body fat and it isn't good for their health for trying either.

But nope..The right definitely have to link it to islam some how.

These images are promoting healthy living and exercise. If they choose to ignore that message and want to get the body and skip the hard work then why should the ad company be held responsible for that?

Don't you think it is at all suspicious that this falls in line with Islamic beliefs?
First he bans "body shaming adverts"

Next he will implement the burka

London is doomed
If it is all right to ban things, how about banning Muslims from Europe?
Original post by Themini
Lol anything Sadiq Khan does is related back to islam in some way or another.. These guys are a joke lol.

Whats wrong with censoring images, especially those which cause insecurities amongst younger girls and often is the root cause of mental illnesses such as anorexia? I don't know about you but super skinny models/ those with the "perfect" body isn't always a possible target for achievement for most people. Most people cant get less than 10% body fat and it isn't good for their health for trying either.

But nope..The right definitely have to link it to islam some how.

Except the ads from Protein World do not promote anorexia or starvation, as you simply cannot get a body of hers (on the ad) with anorexia but only with healthy diet and exercise. She is also not super skinny (just check her BMI, inb4 BMI is not a good measure), and most fashion houses do not use super skinny models anymore, as we have gone past the heroin chic era. None of these models have less than 10% body fat, and most are around 18%. Do you even know what you look like if you have 10-15% bf? Only pro female body builders have less than 15% body fat.

Let's turn the argument to something else than beauty, such as intelligence and athleticism. What about world leaders? Olympics? Football players? Super smart people? Those people really promote unrealistic standards for the 99% of the population. I am pretty sure I will never be able to become the next Bill Gates or Usain Bolt, but that does not cause insecurities on me or any other kids.
Original post by Zanscape
The point is not that he is Muslim, that has NOTHING to do with him banning the adverts. It's that adverts such as the 'beach body ready advert' are encouraging people to do drastic things (to take shop bought drugs!) to achieve a body type which is UNREALISTIC. the woman is clearly highly photoshopped, and whatever you may all say, it is certainly NOT healthy to have your ribs showing through your skin the way hers are. It also suggests that if you do not look like this, you somehow dont deserve to go to the beach dressed in a bikini, which is ridiculous because very few people look like that. adverts such as these can trigger body dysmorphia, and eating disorders, not only in "fat people" as you have described them, but also in people of a healthy size, because these are mental illnesses, they are not simply "fat people getting offended". so they're going to be banned, good for Kahn, deal with it.

Since when did proteins and weight loss supplements (which I personally don't believe in) become drugs? How is a body type unrealistic when she, and many million women around the world, has it? If you look at amateur pictures of her on instagram, then you'll probably see that she is not that photoshopped. Her ribs is not showing that much, and she is probably sucking it in. That is how a normal sized woman looks like outside of the UK and US. And she is probably healthier than the majority of the UK population, considering +65% are overweight. People are not overweight, and eat a balanced diet and exercise. If you feel threatened by another person's presence, then you probably consider that you're the problem and not someone else.
Original post by SeamanDemon
Since when did proteins and weight loss supplements (which I personally don't believe in) become drugs? How is a body type unrealistic when she, and many million women around the world, has it? If you look at amateur pictures of her on instagram, then you'll probably see that she is not that photoshopped. Her ribs is not showing that much, and she is probably sucking it in. That is how a normal sized woman looks like outside of the UK and US. And she is probably healthier than the majority of the UK population, considering +65% are overweight. People are not overweight, and eat a balanced diet and exercise. If you feel threatened by another person's presence, then you probably consider that you're the problem and not someone else.

It's not how 'normal women' around the world look like, I'm shocked that you think it is?! I didn't mean that her body type is unrealistic, I'm sure many women do have it, but they were born like that. I am saying that it is unrealistic to expect all women to look like that, when it is very difficult/impossible for them to do, because it is such a specific body type (a result of genetics and photoshop, not "eating healthily and doing exercise"). And I still stand by the fact that it is not healthy to be so skinny that your ribs are showing through your skin. And your Instagram (what a stupid argument to try and make?!) point is completely invalid because many "amateur" Instagram users do photoshop their photographs - that is common knowledge. And your last sentence is just a bit ironic because this entire thread is filled with people who feel threatened by Sadiq Kahn (mainly because hes Muslim but they're too afraid to admit that they're Islamophobic), so maybe they all need to realise that they're the problem, and not someone else?
Let's just ban all advertising on the tube incase it offends people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JordanL_
Who the **** cares?

You and the rest of the fat tumblr users trying to ban it
Original post by SeamanDemon
Except the ads from Protein World do not promote anorexia or starvation, as you simply cannot get a body of hers (on the ad) with anorexia but only with healthy diet and exercise. She is also not super skinny (just check her BMI, inb4 BMI is not a good measure), and most fashion houses do not use super skinny models anymore, as we have gone past the heroin chic era. None of these models have less than 10% body fat, and most are around 18%. Do you even know what you look like if you have 10-15% bf? Only pro female body builders have less than 15% body fat.

Let's turn the argument to something else than beauty, such as intelligence and athleticism. What about world leaders? Olympics? Football players? Super smart people? Those people really promote unrealistic standards for the 99% of the population. I am pretty sure I will never be able to become the next Bill Gates or Usain Bolt, but that does not cause insecurities on me or any other kids.

Oh shut up lol..You and I both know we wouldn't be having this argument if Sadiq Khan was white or Christian. Unlike you and the rest of the right wing parade I don't have prejudices towards him and his religion.

I see him as the Mayor of London, not as a Pakistani Muslim who cant be trusted to make decisions simply because of his assumed religious motives. Bunch of foil hat wearers.

Who gives 2 sh*ts? I mean really? He banned a couple of adverts so what? That's your biggest issue with him? JFC.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
An Islamist who opposes freedom of speech/expression in favour of more conservative communication? Surely not? Get what you vote for, London

I was going to say. People should be annoyed if he did not do such things because that would mean he's going against what they voted for......
i swear every thread always seems to have muslims/islam involved??!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending