The Student Room Group

WJEC S1 Exam Discussion - 15th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elljp33
What does everyone think the grade boundaries are gonna be?

I think they'll be lower in C1 and C2 than this one because this one was easy, whereas the other 2 were awful.
Original post by owen.williams
Just thought I'd create a thread for pre/post exam discussion. Good luck to everyone.

You need to be aware that an S1 thread was made 2 weeks ago...
Original post by twadebarcelona
I think they'll be lower in C1 and C2 than this one because this one was easy, whereas the other 2 were awful.

With all the non sense going about the profit question.
Has any one got an unofficial explaination for it. Please help
Reply 23
I quite liked C1 perhaps because I'd practiced a question identical to Q10 the night before. Messed up a lot on C2, and can't tell how I did on this one. Hopefully it'll all balance out.
Original post by Maths is Life
With all the non sense going about the profit question.
Has any one got an unofficial explaination for it. Please help

I explained it on the previous page. Here's my explanation:

I think it was -5 times P(X<2) + 5 times P(X=2) + 20 times P(X>2).

This will be my final exam for the year. I'm pretty sure I only got Bs for C1 and C2, but I did a mock for S1 last week, and left after 53 minutes, rather than staying for the full 113 minutes, and I got 92%. I feel pretty confident for this one.

You are very specific.
With that being said I would also like to be a weirdo and say its possible to do it within 30minutes. Much alike with C1.

However you should've stayed and checked your answers.
Being confident is good.
Its good not be overconfident
You are very specific.
With that being said I would also like to be a weirdo and say its possible to do it within 30minutes. Much alike with C1.

However you should've stayed and checked your answers.
Being confident is good.
Its good not be overconfident

I did check my answers today, but there was no need to stay after it had been about an hour of the paper gone with 50 minutes left if I knew there wasn't anything I could add.
I did check my answers today, but there was no need to stay after it had been about an hour of the paper gone with 50 minutes left if I knew there wasn't anything I could add.

Yeah I understand I wouldve done the same and I hope you get an A man.

And tbh you'd feel like a badass leaving before he rest of the class. M8 I dont gaf
😂
Yeah I understand I wouldve done the same and I hope you get an A man.

And tbh you'd feel like a badass leaving before he rest of the class. M8 I dont gaf
😂

The class consisted of just me, so I was the first and last to finish. I'm pretty sure I got between 95 and 100% though. I always find that I'm finished before the extra time even starts.
The class consisted of just me, so I was the first and last to finish. I'm pretty sure I got between 95 and 100% though. I always find that I'm finished before the extra time even starts.

Why did the class consist of just you? Do you do maths or further? And how many peeps do maths?
Why did the class consist of just you? Do you do maths or further? And how many peeps do maths?

I'm the only person who did any A level exams. It was just standard Maths with C1, C2 and S1 that I did.
I'm the only person who did any A level exams. It was just standard Maths with C1, C2 and S1 that I did.

Hmm yeah I dont understand your situation
Hmm yeah I dont understand your situation

Basically, no-one else did any AS or A2 exams. Just me.
Basically, no-one else did any AS or A2 exams. Just me.

I dont get this college you are at.
Where the classes be at
I dont get this college you are at.
Where the classes be at

I'm in sixth form. The other 15 pupils in the sixth form either resat some GCSEs or did vocational stuff. I did the Maths AS and some vocational qualifications this year.
Reply 35
Original post by FusionNetworks
I got 12 minutes for t.

How did you do it?
Reply 36
Does anyone have a copy of the paper?
Original post by Mango88
Does anyone have a copy of the paper?

My school won't let me keep a copy until 48 hours after the exam start time.
Original post by Mango88
How did you do it?
The mean was 0.2t, so I divided the mean by 0.2 to get my answer for t. In order to get to the mean I had, I just went along in my stats tables until I had a point where the difference between 5 (I think it was 5) and 4 was 0.0602.

EDIT: I have attached a screenshot of the part of the Poisson table you needed to look at. It's under 2.4.

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 16.28.06.png
Reply 39
The mean was 0.2t, so I divided the mean by 0.2 to get my answer for t. In order to get to the mean I had, I just went along in my stats tables until I had a point where the difference between 5 (I think it was 5) and 4 was 0.0602.

EDIT: I have attached a screenshot of the part of the Poisson table you needed to look at. It's under 2.4.

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 16.28.06.png

Omg :bawling:I was going through all of them trying to find the one that gave the difference for 0.0602 and couldn't find it so gave up!! I must have missed that one, I feel so stupid now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending