The Student Room Group

Edexcel gcse chemistry- how did you find it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by navjotkaurjohal
Yeah i did too!! Was the experiment the crucible thing and heating it and recording the masses?

I couldn't remember the experiment so I just said react them together and explained how to get the empirical formula using the atomic masses and the grams of oxygen and magnesium provided

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by ksj.11
i probably lost 3 marks on last question I just did empirical formula and said react the two and measure out the correct amounts of each and you'll get MgO 😅😅 and lost 4 marks on balancing equations soo around 53/60

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much did the same thing . I couldn't remember the experiment aswell so I just said react them together and explained how to get the empirical formula using the atomic masses and the grams of oxygen and magnesium provided

Posted from TSR Mobile
The answer for the 500 tonnes question was 126.3 because you had to do:
500÷190×48=126.3
Reply 23
Original post by caitlinford3
i got it too!

Same
Original post by Rof74
Pretty much did the same thing . I couldn't remember the experiment aswell so I just said react them together and explained how to get the empirical formula using the atomic masses and the grams of oxygen and magnesium provided

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of people talked about combustion of the magnesium ribbon to form MgO or something. I definitely lost 3 marks for the experiment, I said something about putting the magnesium ribbon in a bell jar. Hopefully I won't lose more than three though because I did everything todo with the empirical formula and mass of oxygen etc right
Reply 25
Original post by Penguin_S
The answer for the 500 tonnes question was 126.3 because you had to do:
500÷190×48=126.3

Yep i did that what did u get for the first question on question 6
yeah for the last 6 marker you could of talked about the crucible OR the bell jar
A lot of people talked about combustion of the magnesium ribbon to form MgO or something. I definitely lost 3 marks for the experiment, I said something about putting the magnesium ribbon in a bell jar. Hopefully I won't lose more than three though because I did everything todo with the empirical formula and mass of oxygen etc right

bell jar and crucible are right!!
It was good but the last 6 marker was weird..How did you guys get MgO? I got something completely different :tongue: What did you guys get for the balancing one too?
Original post by chrlhyms
bell jar and crucible are right!!

oh???? then maybe i didn't lose 3 marks LOL
Would I get marks for writing about a gas syringe with magnesium ribbon in a test tube...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harry_16
Would I get marks for writing about a gas syringe with magnesium ribbon in a test tube...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

any valid way you could get magnesium oxide was correct, this is equally correct as the cruicable and bell jar as there are many practicals to find MgO
Original post by sapphire79
It was good but the last 6 marker was weird..How did you guys get MgO? I got something completely different :tongue: What did you guys get for the balancing one too?

0.7 - 0.42 to get 0.28 (mass of oxygen)

0.28 / 16 = 0.0175 (O)
0.42 / 24 = 0.0175 (Mg)
Then divide each by the smallest (but since they're the same just divide by themselves)
0.0175 / 0.0175 = 1 (O)
0.0175 / 0.0175 = 1 (Mg)
Ratio is therefore 1:1
So it's therefore MgO
Okay thanks! I forgot to write about applying heat to the magnesium ribbon though but would I need to considering I'm adding oxygen to the magnesium with a syringe? I got the empirical formula working correct but I made a silly mistake where I doubled oxygen and made it 32 instead of 16... Would that get me about 4 marks in total?

Posted from TSR Mobile
0.7 - 0.42 to get 0.28 (mass of oxygen)

0.28 / 16 = 0.0175 (O)
0.42 / 24 = 0.0175 (Mg)
Then divide each by the smallest (but since they're the same just divide by themselves)
0.0175 / 0.0175 = 1 (O)
0.0175 / 0.0175 = 1 (Mg)
Ratio is therefore 1:1
So it's therefore MgO

Oh no I started it right and then I changed it. :frown: Its okay though I didnt make that many other mistakes. Thanks :smile:
For the last one I talked about heating magnesium to get MgO and then did the empirical formula but because Oxygen is diatomic and they were all in the same ratio, you just had to multiply all of them by two to get 2Mg + O2 -> 2MgO to get the formula for it
Maths questions:

Relative atomic mass:
- 68.something or 69.something (can't remember which)

Percentage of Nitrogen:
- 35%

Mass of Ti:

Empirical formula:
- 1:1 MgO
i got it too!

omg same safe safe
I think it was 35%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
I put 1/1837 as relative mass of an electron. Will I get a mark for that because apparently it's 1/2000???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending