The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Ok so I might as well put mine out there for some pro judging for step I:

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
18, 20, 20, 10, 10(?), 20, 13.

Looks like ~101. Question mark indicates completely uncertainty (i.e: no clue what I'm talking about)

I did slightly worse than you.

Cheers. Given the roughness of these estimates and of our descriptions of the answers, we probably did quite similarly.

Original post by sweeneyrod
I didn't do the exam, but earlier today I had a go at Q 7. Pretty interesting, the first parts were easy, but (iv) was hard (I'm still pondering (b)). Definitely wouldn't have liked (iv) (a) under exam conditions, trying to write convincing proofs under pressure is not fun.

Yeah it is a nice question. But after going to town with the proofs in (i) (ii) and (iii) I didn't really have the energy or the time to bother with it so went in search of easier marks from the mechanics section.
Original post by porridgepie
what did you write for spearman's rank assumption?

It's that there's no assumption as it's done on ranks not actual values so there's no worry for the distribution of the actual data.

(Says in on page 5:
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/pdf/spearmanrcc.pdf)

Original post by Bruhh
Yeah thats exactly what I did just found it awkward since half the numbers were odd and so some you had to do a quarter of a square for. I can't imagine they'll be too precise with it as long as it's roughly correct though. What other modules are you doing?

Oh I get what you mean, yeah lots of half way between one of the small squares - but that's pretty normal. I did M2 last year (got 91) and this year I'm doing D2, S2 and FP2. D2 went quite bad (i.e defo not an A*), I think S2 went really well, so I should just need around an A* in FP2 to get my A* in FM. You?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
It's that there's no assumption as it's done on ranks not actual values so there's no worry for the distribution of the actual data.

(Says in on page 5:
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/pdf/spearmanrcc.pdf)

Oh I get what you mean, yeah lots of half way between one of the small squares - but that's pretty normal. I did M2 last year (got 91) and this year I'm doing D2, S2 and FP2. D2 went quite bad (i.e defo not an A*), I think S2 went really well, so I should just need around an A* in FP2 to get my A* in FM. You?

Just M2 and FP2, I'm unsure on how M2 went but should hopefully be 90+ still, so need fairly good A*'s in S2 and FP2 to secure my FM A*.
Original post by KingRS
There's no chance the exam board will kick up a fuss?

This is precisely the kind of stuff I'm afraid will happen. British Council India has a reputation for administering exams in the worst possible way and making up their own rules as they go along.

They've already charged us twice the listed fee for the exam twice, would you believe it and I'm terrified that they'll be trouble during the exam too. I'll be a nervous wreck anyway, and then if the exam administrators make the whole process more difficult than it already is, I'm scared I'll just freeze up
Reply 1405
Original post by EnglishMuon
Ok so I might as well put mine out there for some pro judging for step I:

Spoiler

Comfortable S. :tongue:

Well done!
Reply 1406
Can people start panicking for STEP II tomorrow? Seriously, why is everyone so calm? You lot are insane. :rofl:
Original post by physicsmaths
Offer for Cambridge? If so what college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope I didnt apply to Cambridge (I did apply to oxford got rejected though) . My offers are from Imperial and Warwick
Original post by Zacken
Can people start panicking for STEP II tomorrow? Seriously, why is everyone so calm? You lot are insane. :rofl:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Original post by Zacken
Comfortable S. :tongue:

Well done!

Thanks, It'd be nice to think so, I guess Ill have to wait and see. But how many marks u think id get for my q 8 btw?
Hey y'all, I know you are probably sick of these "asking what i probably got posts" but i would be very grateful.

Spoiler

Reply 1411
Original post by sweeneyrod
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thank you! Some sanity. :tongue:
Reply 1412
Original post by jacobe
Hey y'all, I know you are probably sick of these "asking what i probably got posts" but i would be very grateful.

Spoiler

Q1) 11
Q2) You shouldn't be having arctrig's at all in your answer... - but ignoring that and assuming that all you did was write sqrt(1-x^2), 18/19.
Q3) 16
Q6) 17
Q7) 10-12
Q11) 7

Depending on what exactly you did on Q2, if you didn't use the intended method, that'd likely be a 0 (I can't see where you get arctrig from...) or if all your made was miswrite sqrt(1-x^2) then it's just 19.
Reply 1413
Original post by EnglishMuon
Thanks, It'd be nice to think so, I guess Ill have to wait and see. But how many marks u think id get for my q 8 btw?

Probably drop 4/5 marks?
Original post by Zacken
Probably drop 4/5 marks?

Really!? Phew. I know ur not the official ms but I was scared I had dropped like 6/7+ for the last part. I know it was easy but yea theres always that doubt. Feeling much better now and looking forwards for tomorrow!

Thanks!
I'm *****ing my pants tbh
Original post by Zacken
Q1) 11
Q2) You shouldn't be having arctrig's at all in your answer... - but ignoring that and assuming that all you did was write sqrt(1-x^2), 18/19.
Q3) 16
Q6) 17
Q7) 10-12
Q11) 7

Depending on what exactly you did on Q2, if you didn't use the intended method, that'd likely be a 0 (I can't see where you get arctrig from...) or if all your made was miswrite sqrt(1-x^2) then it's just 19.

Well the integral was xln(x+sqrt(1+x^2)) and I did it by parts and got some algebra-the integral of xln(x+sqrt(1+x^2))-the integral of sqrt(1-x^2) (should have been sqrt(1+x^2) which would have given me arcsinhx)
Reply 1417
Original post by jacobe
Well the integral was xln(x+sqrt(1+x^2)) and I did it by parts and got some algebra-the integral of xln(x+sqrt(1+x^2))-the integral of sqrt(1-x^2) (should have been sqrt(1+x^2) which would have given me arcsinhx)

I'm afraid you wouldn't receive any credit for that, the question very clearly specified the "hence", i.e: you needed to do it by using the form of the derivative that you got previously. :redface:
Original post by Zacken
I'm afraid you wouldn't receive any credit for that, the question very clearly specified the "hence", i.e: you needed to do it by using the form of the derivative that you got previously. :redface:

Wait so even though I got the right answer for the previous 2 as well I wouldn't have got any marks? What about the whole "they will give you credit even if you don't use their method" thing? Or is that completely void if they use the word hence. **** I feel sooooo stupid now. I was really happy about that because one of you guys mentioned it the day before about to integrate arcsinhx.
How many marks do people reckon you'd get if you just did the first part of question 1, like proving it for n=1,2,3 and disapproving it for n=4?

Quick Reply

Latest