The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Chemistry C2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

foundation paper was so easy. basically the same as 2013, 2014 and 2015 papers. they even reused a diagram and yes it was ammonium chloride
Reply 41
Original post by noor.m
Okay so for the why is it cloudy question I wrote precipitate at first but then wrote about precipitation, would I still get the mark? :frown: and also, for the change question I wrote a stopwatch?

I wrote that aswell, and i also said that they reacted together and turned cloudy.
Reply 42
First part of q4) Why does the solution go cloudy?
Sulfur forms, which is a solid/insoluble.
Reply 43
Original post by WillCrowe00
I think it was ammonium chloride rather than aluminium chloride. I think the question was what salt is formed when ammonia and hydrochloric acid react together. Also, on the nanoparticle question, it asked about the size of nanoparticles in relation to atoms so I put that atoms are smaller than nanoparticles as well as that nanoparticles have a diameter of 1-100nm. I think you're right about the surface area bit though.

Yeah thats right! Thanks
Reply 44
Original post by jackbarry1999
For the question about the magnesium chloride did people talk about ionic boding?

Yes, because it is the transferring of the electron.
Original post by Naco88
Poll: I accidentally set the poll to only display results when it has ended (in 7 days), I am trying to fix this.

Hello. Welcome to my AQA Chemistry C2 Unofficial mark scheme! Due to the success of my other mark scheme for AQA Biology which got 40k views I will happily do another and look forward to seeing how you guys found the exam.

This mark scheme is made completely by people who have done the exam so is written purely from knowledge. We will try and get the questions in the right order however putting marks next to each is very hard so please do not request this. If you remember a question we forgot then feel free to comment it below or contact me on twitter (@NacoRBLX) and I will be sure to add it.
This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.

AQA B2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have the last few questions of foundation)

1. Question on Temperature Change
a) 5.75 (do not include the anomaly)
b)
c)
d) How could you change the apparatus to get more accurate results? Use a digital thermometer. It is more accurate.
2. Question on Fertilisers
What is the PH after being neutralized? 0
Percentage by mass: 14+1+1+1 = 17 (14/17) x 100 = 82%
6 Mark Question about a farmer using ammonium nitrate on his crops. The best value to use was around 200kg because the lowest possible amount went into nearby lakes and it produced the maximum profit.

3. Question on Particles and Nano Particles
Why are nano particles good catalysts?
They have a large surface area to volume ratio.
4. Reaction experiment (cross under flask)

5. Question on electrolysis (Magnesium Chloride)
Why do the molecules need to be melted or dissolved in water?
The particles need to be able to move so they can get to the electrodes. This also separates them.
Why does magnesium form at the negative electrode?
It is M2+ so it will be attracted to the negative electrode. It will then gain 2 electrons and therefore no longer be an ion.
In experiment 2, magnesium did not form at the negative electrode, why?
The magnesium chloride was dissolved in water so hydrogen atoms are present. These are less reactive than magnesium so will form.
6. Question on materials
a)
b) Diamond is hard because it has lots of strong covalent bonds which are hard to break.
c)
Predicted grade boundaries will come soon.
Note: The question parts may not be in the right order.

This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

If you did the B2 exam on Friday, we have the mark scheme for that as well!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4155717

the Ph when it becomes neautralised is 7 , not 0 lol.
For the one about improving the apparatus, I put about using a lid to reduce heat loss? Is that correct?
4. Solid sulfur precipitate formed clouding up the solution
6c is thermosetting plastics are best for saucepan handles (?) because they have crosslinks which cannot be broken by heat, whereas in a thermosoftening plastic, the chains of polymers are joined by weak intermolecular forces and are easily broken by heat
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Everyone is getting carried away. An A will be like 45!

I know right
Original post by Holly.Hodgson99
For the one about improving the apparatus, I put about using a lid to reduce heat loss? Is that correct?

I put that as well. I think it is right.
Reply 51
I got 175 for the farmers question will I get anymarks
Why is the ph 0 and not 7? I thought with neutralisation you always get a ph 7?
it is not zero is 7
because 0 is a PH of acids but 7 is neutral
Original post by jackbarry1999
For the 2 variables I said to keep constant the volume of sodium thiosulfate and hydrochloric acid is this right?

I put that too
Original post by attiabasiouny
it is not zero is 7
because 0 is a PH of acids but 7 is neutral

Exactly.
For 4 about why the solution went cloudy - the answer is literally "sulphur is formed which is a precipitate" or "a sulphur precipitate is formed". They asked it on January 2013 C2.
What one did you all put for the one where you ticked a box? I ticked the third box which was a guess? And for the one where you had to finish the half equation near the end?
for the percentage i wrote 82.35% because itwas that but people round it down? will i still get full marks, i also put the workings 14/17*100.
also i wrote Amount of HCl and Sodium thiosulfate instead of volume... willi still get it right?
Reply 59
Original post by SkyeAmber
I put that too

I said same volume of hcl acid and same concentration of hcl acid

For the question asking to measure the rate of reaction when it is 5C i put keep the temp at 5C but use different concentrations of hcl acid. Would i get the marks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending