The Student Room Group

A Level Choices!! HELP

Hi so I'm currently doing my GSCE, Almost done now 4 exams to go.
Now I have time to think about A level choices I really need advice from people who are doing these subjects and if you're not then general advice will help me A LOT :smile:

My first question is... I'm planning on doing Psychology, Sociology and third subject was going to be Biology but unfortunately I cannot do Biology since I'm doing foundation Math and I must achieve a Grade B.
Yes, I was very upset at the fact I can't do biology so I picked Philosophy instead
now can someone please help me... Maybe I'm making the wrong choice picking Philosophy but i need a 3rd A level :smile: And this one interested me the most.

If you find your A level good and you think its a good combination with Psychology please put your idea forward as I am completely stressed out thinking about this. I would like to go in to Forensic, Criminal or Clinical Psychology.:smile:
and yes I do want to go to university.

I APPRECIATE the help.
Original post by pinkrox22310
Hi so I'm currently doing my GSCE, Almost done now 4 exams to go.
Now I have time to think about A level choices I really need advice from people who are doing these subjects and if you're not then general advice will help me A LOT :smile:

My first question is... I'm planning on doing Psychology, Sociology and third subject was going to be Biology but unfortunately I cannot do Biology since I'm doing foundation Math and I must achieve a Grade B.
Yes, I was very upset at the fact I can't do biology so I picked Philosophy instead
now can someone please help me... Maybe I'm making the wrong choice picking Philosophy but i need a 3rd A level :smile: And this one interested me the most.

If you find your A level good and you think its a good combination with Psychology please put your idea forward as I am completely stressed out thinking about this. I would like to go in to Forensic, Criminal or Clinical Psychology.:smile:
and yes I do want to go to university.

I APPRECIATE the help.

Those subjects sound alright for the degrees you're considering, perhaps you can ask the admissions departments of the unis you're considering to check that they'd accept psychology, sociology and philosophy as your subjects? :smile:
Original post by pinkrox22310
Hi so I'm currently doing my GSCE, Almost done now 4 exams to go.Now I have time to think about A level choices I really need advice from people who are doing these subjects and if you're not then general advice will help me A LOT :smile:My first question is... I'm planning on doing Psychology, Sociology and third subject was going to be Biology but unfortunately I cannot do Biology since I'm doing foundation Math and I must achieve a Grade B. Yes, I was very upset at the fact I can't do biology so I picked Philosophy insteadnow can someone please help me... Maybe I'm making the wrong choice picking Philosophy but i need a 3rd A level :smile: And this one interested me the most.If you find your A level good and you think its a good combination with Psychology please put your idea forward as I am completely stressed out thinking about this. I would like to go in to Forensic, Criminal or Clinical Psychology.:smile:and yes I do want to go to university.I APPRECIATE the help.

I don't know a lot about psychology, but you should really have a hard science A level (physics/chem/bio) to do science at uni.

Have you discussed this with your school? They'll sometimes make exceptions if you really push for it and you can convince them. It's definitely worth trying if you haven't already. If the school won't let you, get your parents to talk to them. My school was making me do BTEC science, but my mum kicked off and they relented :biggrin:

Seems silly to require a good grade in maths anyway. There's very little maths in A level bio, most of it is part of your A2 practical, and it's simple stuff. I doubt you'd struggle because of it.
Original post by Leviathan1741
Those subjects sound alright for the degrees you're considering, perhaps you can ask the admissions departments of the unis you're considering to check that they'd accept psychology, sociology and philosophy as your subjects? :smile:

Ok thankyou I will make sure I do this :smile:
Original post by JordanL_
I don't know a lot about psychology, but you should really have a hard science A level (physics/chem/bio) to do science at uni.

Have you discussed this with your school? They'll sometimes make exceptions if you really push for it and you can convince them. It's definitely worth trying if you haven't already. If the school won't let you, get your parents to talk to them. My school was making me do BTEC science, but my mum kicked off and they relented :biggrin:

Seems silly to require a good grade in maths anyway. There's very little maths in A level bio, most of it is part of your A2 practical, and it's simple stuff. I doubt you'd struggle because of it.

Thankyou for your help.
I talked to the sixth form I have to get a B to do Biology and they told me to just work hard and achieve what I can.
Another thing was they told me i could retake Math if I don't get a C. Yes I am extremely bad at Math and considering my math teacher did not like me very much my predicted grade was down to an F. Yes i know that is shocking but I honestly don't think I got a C since Math has always been a struggle for me. I don't want to blame my teacher but that also contributed to the low grade.

Do you do Biology A level?:smile:
But ok thankyou I was maybe asking them if I could retake Math and do Bio at the same time

Quick Reply

Latest