The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 4B Pre-release

Scroll to see replies

Why is p1 showing energy consumption to decline in future years?
Reply 361
Original post by Cathy678

Energy efficiency. Or less dependence on coal due to increased invest in renewable ie wind and solar.
Original post by Language student
Can someone please answer me, what kinds of questions will they ask us on the fieldwork (item 7)?

"Your A Level group has been asked to undertake a piece of fieldwork to assess weather opinions regarding proposed fracking may vary with distance to the drilling site.
Describe how you would assemble a set of questions for the local people."

"Explain how you A Level geography group might select people to answer questions"

"Justify an appropriate hypothesis to test residents opinions about fracking as described in Item 7 and explain how a questionnaire would help you gather data to prove/disprove your hypothesis"
I have NO idea what is going to be asked in this exam and i'm panicking, can anyone suggest some likely questions?
Original post by isabelle12345
"Your A Level group has been asked to undertake a piece of fieldwork to assess weather opinions regarding proposed fracking may vary with distance to the drilling site.
Describe how you would assemble a set of questions for the local people."

"Explain how you A Level geography group might select people to answer questions"

"Justify an appropriate hypothesis to test residents opinions about fracking as described in Item 7 and explain how a questionnaire would help you gather data to prove/disprove your hypothesis"

Do you also have mark scheme for those as well?
Thank you so much

BBC December 2014 article explains - main reasons due to advancements in technology and government policy has meant the need for energy demand is less

- More efficient at using energy (e.g. insulation for housing, LED bulbs, motion sensor lighting).
- Campaigns by government increase public awareness of environmental impacts of consuming lots of energy.
- Decline in coal as we don't use steam powered rail anymore, running out, very polluting, cheaper natural gas.
- More efficient at producing energy (i.e. fewer losses by power stations and on national grid).
- Recycling increased.
- Reduced manufacturing industry in UK as we now outsource to NICs/LEDCs. More of a service industry which is less energy intensive.
- Electric cars.
Original post by Lavender26
I don't understand the first page where it says "void left... Filled by use of natural gas and an increase in electricity usage"

Can natural gas/ coal/ bio energy/ petroleum/ be used to make electricity, and if so why on fig p2 is it separated from these.

If not- what is electricity made from then?

Sorry if I'm just really stupid 😂👍🏻

It can all contribute to making energy and so making electricity
Original post by Language student
Do you also have mark scheme for those as well?
Thank you so much

I have a mark scheme for the first question, but it is very brief, saying that a hypothesis needs to be mentioned in order to explain how your questions were chosen, and that there needs to be a discussion of the benefits of including both closed and open questions. also you would need to justify why you chose the questions you did (just give an example of like 2) and this goes for all of the possible questions they will ask you. You also need to mention a pilot study.

I also don't suppose you have any notes on Item 2 in the AIB...?
Original post by dollyb1997
Has anyone got any notes they would like to share that arent on the impacts??
also, cannot answer these questions.
1) Suggest why it is difficult to quantify the reserves ofshale gas in the UK. (8 marks)
2) Discuss how the UKis planning to improve its energy security in the future? (is this question suggesting the UK is planning to improve their energy security via fracking?)and also how could the process of fracking be improved?thankyou!

For 2 I would say that its 2020 target to produce 15% through renewables will improve energy security because solar/wind etc will be locally sourced, however they are unreliable as we cannot increase the supply of energy from these in times of peak demand, and because the target is only for 15% we will need another supply of energy. Potentially nuclear with Hinkley point reactor coming online in 2027 but one company has pulled out of this development and it could potentially bankrupt EDF so they may pull out too. Even if they dont the delay means it may come online later. Coal with CCS plans are not well supported as of yet, although one closing coal power station is being converted to biofuels so that will increase energy security. But none of these will be enough to stop the need for import, so energy security will still be an issue, unless we frack.

And then im not sure about this but if we frack, there may be potential that we will export the shale gas like we have done with the north sea gas, as it will be more profitable? Also fracking is still a non renewable so does not increase energy security in the long term.

Again another thing im not 100% sure on (so if anyone could confirm it would be helpful) but even if we do frack, vehicles etc still need petrol/diesel, so we would still have to import that? and then we are subject to the prices changing etc. ????
I have a mark scheme for the first question, but it is very brief, saying that a hypothesis needs to be mentioned in order to explain how your questions were chosen, and that there needs to be a discussion of the benefits of including both closed and open questions. also you would need to justify why you chose the questions you did (just give an example of like 2) and this goes for all of the possible questions they will ask you. You also need to mention a pilot study.

how do u do a pilot study?
Reply 371
Any idea if there's an answer sheet for the ZigZag booklet? Wanna make sure all the info I've got is correct!
Please help with this question! "Comment on the concerns raised by Mike Hill in Item 6 and identify whether you feel the government has addressed these concerns"
Original post by lauren_kendall
Please help with this question! "Comment on the concerns raised by Mike Hill in Item 6 and identify whether you feel the government has addressed these concerns"

Environment Agency requires a full disclosure of chemicals used, EA and Health and Safety Executive make regular checks to sites, Cuadrilla uses mainswater reducing amount of tanker journeys, clear guidelines by EA and HSE relating to truck movements/flaring/drilling
Hope that helps!
What is the best way to carry out fieldwork?

We were told to use systematic sampling to pick a settlement at each 1km interval from the proposed fracking site, and then random sampling to pick two roads to ask residents on. However, I'm not sure if picking a busy location, such as a shop in Kirkham or Fylde would be better. What sampling methods would you use for that and how would you justify it?
Does anyone have any notes or general comments on Item 2 of the AIB?
Hi guys

I'm really struggling to revise for this!! Can anyone tell me good ideas of how to revise, or what they are doing?

THANKS
Also,

how much do we need to know about other sources of energy, like coal, coke, wind, solar etc?
Reply 378
Original post by lauren_kendall
Hello! PLs could someone help me! "Discuss how the physical and social geography of Lancashire makes this an ideal location to undertake fracking.

I gave a proper answer on this . Go back a few pages

No I don't :frown: My teacher is rubbish... what is a pilot study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending