The Student Room Group

Inequality with surds

I have a test coming up and I'm in Year 7 and inequality with surds has come onto the revision list. I have no clue what it is. Can someone please help? 😃
Reply 1
Original post by Sulaiman135
I have a test coming up and I'm in Year 7 and inequality with surds has come onto the revision list. I have no clue what it is. Can someone please help? 😃

You'll need to be more specific, I'm afraid. What exactly do you mean by "inequalities with surds"? What specific problems do you have with them? Do you have an example where you can point out your confusion? Are you alright with non-surd inequalities?
Year 7?! I don't even know inequality with surds means and I've just sat GCSE Maths :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Im fine with normal inequalities and all the revision sheet says is "inequalities with surds"😞
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
You'll need to be more specific, I'm afraid. What exactly do you mean by "inequalities with surds"? What specific problems do you have with them? Do you have an example where you can point out your confusion? Are you alright with non-surd inequalities?

Non surd inequalities are very easy and all the revision guide says is inequalities with surds"😞
Reply 5
Non surd inequalities are very easy and all the revision guide says is inequalities with surds"😞

You haven't answered any of my questions? What are "inequalities with surds"?
WTF are those lol
Reply 7
Original post by imperion
wtf are those lol

not even i know
Reply 8
not even i know

Do you not have any examples of them?

Are they just stuff like x + 3 > sqrt(2) or what?
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
Do you not have any examples of them?

Are they just stuff like x + 3 > sqrt(2) or what?

I think so!
Reply 10
I think so!

They work just like normal inequalities, except the numbers are surds. Which are just numbers themselves.

All you can really do is practice adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing by surds, maybe rationalising if you have seen that but don't worry if you haven't. If it's revision, your teacher either likes challenging you or you missed a lesson where it's been taught, or you've been to a lesson about surds and he's just combining the two.

Quick Reply

Latest