The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Science C4 C5 C6 14th June 2016 Discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

The group four placement of lead was a bit confusing, but elements in group four DO NOT produce ions; neither postive nor negative. You needed to use the fact that there were two Br atoms, each with a charge of 1-, to conclude that Pb must have a charge of 2+, as the formula said that 2 Br atoms go with 1 Pb atom.
Original post by Mr_Elmo
I really liked that paper funnily enough, a couple things were confusing but not too bad. Did you have to discuss bonds forming vs breaking on the last 6 marker, as im sure that is part of C7. I simply discussed what the graphs showed and what it meant in terms of energy

I was thinking about writing about the breaking and making of bonds but I saw a mark scheme I think for 2013 on the same topic (energy level graphs) and it says no marks credited for speaking of this so I dunno
Original post by ahmedismail_1
i talked about electrons instead of ions in the 6 mark question?

Technically, you really had to talk about ions, there werent any free elecgrons, as it werent a metal.
What did you put For Matt thinkin about what compounds were alkali?
Original post by Mr_Elmo
I really liked that paper funnily enough, a couple things were confusing but not too bad. Did you have to discuss bonds forming vs breaking on the last 6 marker, as im sure that is part of C7. I simply discussed what the graphs showed and what it meant in terms of energy

Yeah I dont think you had to talk about that, it is in C7.
And what were similar properties of alkali metals? I put they react with cold water to produce a metal hydroxide and hydrogen gas as well as the fact that they have 1 electron in their outer shell. I also said how they are alkali metals that react with the halogens 😂
Original post by ahmedismail_1
i talked about electrons instead of ions in the 6 mark question?

Technically, you really had to talk about ions, there werent any free elecgrons, as it werent a metal.
Original post by NiamhM1801
Was the one that should have given -30°C 50g? I did it in 2 seconds because I was really pushed for time and didn't have time to check :frown:

Also what did you all get for the half equation? I think I got it wrong as my friends got something different. I put Pb⁴+ + 4e- -> Pb

Yes that is right.
And your friend is incorrect, it was Pb2+ + 2e- --> Pb sorry about the symbols :biggrin:
I know, it was the middle of the paper that really just made me want to give up! All I remember is bloody diamond and graphite and it didn't even come up :frown: same, I'd contribute but I got lots wrong haha. I'm glad the environment didn't come up - that's where I always go wrong. I'm doing P456 today ahead of Thursday. That should be nice, I love physics :biggrin:
Same tbh, at first I thought the paper was ok but now I've realised just how badly I've done! :frown:

exactly - i was so upset that diamond didn't come up. I got tonnes wrong! I'm just hoping I got 35/60 cos that's an A... usually. I'm going to do physics tonight but I hate that too, wow, you're one of the few I know how actually likes physics :biggrin: but didn't you say you did well on core chemistry? It should balance out. I need to move on now aha
Original post by TheAnonymousMan
And what were similar properties of alkali metals? I put they react with cold water to produce a metal hydroxide and hydrogen gas as well as the fact that they have 1 electron in their outer shell. I also said how they are alkali metals that react with the halogens 😂

Well done! That's great. I said they all have 1 electron in their outer shell so i at least got 1/60 lol jk, I can't remember what else I said though
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone remember those electrolysis zinc questions?? i think i messed up on those :s-smilie:
Did anyone say that lead had a lower melting point
Original post by kennethdcharles

does that mean ill get 0 marks
Is there a physics thread or can someone create one please?
Yes I did. And it actually does.
Original post by reu_taylor
Is there a physics thread or can someone create one please?

Yeah as lead bromide has a higher one and lead melted meaning it has a lower melting point than 373. The actual melting point is 327.5 so yeah
I said that they have 0H- ions which shows they are alkaline and a PH of less than 7 and that the negative ion if hydroxide but he positive ion changes
Thank you
Original post by Neginmortazzavi
I said that they have 0H- ions which shows they are alkaline and a PH of less than 7 and that the negative ion if hydroxide but he positive ion changes

But ammonia had hydroxide ions. And the bonds were covalent
That's what my friends put. But lead is in group 4??

Well I got this question wrong, I just guessed that lead was a positive ion and put Pb+ + e- = Pb

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending