The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmilyPlatypus
For Constitution (as a 45 marker) it could be something to do with "can the bill of rights be protected while the threat of terrorism remains" as that hasn't come up since 2010? and I don't think there's been a constitution question about protecting rights since that's just a weak guess though looking at past questions

In 2014, 'how have effectively had the Bill of Rights been upheld in the USA in recent years' came up..? Is that similar enough to stop the question you said coming up
Original post by MrsBanana01628
It was the 2014 45 mark question? "A president's power inevitably declines in a second term in office" that's what a lame duck presidency is. I realise they repeat questions but I'd be surprised if they repeated one that's only 2 years old. The Electoral College question last came up in like 2011 which was why it was unsurprising it was repeatd.

Oh ok, I didn't realise the completely contrasting ages of the questions. I'd very recently done the Electoral College question from 2011 in class so it felt like it was relatively new.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
That's such a horrible question! I have no ideas what examples I would use for that, and it's difficult even after looking at the mark scheme

That's what I thought! We sort of planned it in lesson (we didn't really get all four paragraphs) and we decided to avoid it as a class. Constitution 45 markers range from really good to what the hell is that haha
That's why I'm hoping for an easy congress one or checks on presidential power:crossedf:
Original post by MrsBanana01628
It was the 2014 45 mark question? "A president's power inevitably declines in a second term in office" that's what a lame duck presidency is. I realise they repeat questions but I'd be surprised if they repeated one that's only 2 years old. The Electoral College question last came up in like 2011 which was why it was unsurprising it was repeatd.

True, do you think they'll ask something on the imperial presidency if it came up in 2013?
Original post by imaaniee
In 2014, 'how have effectively had the Bill of Rights been upheld in the USA in recent years' came up..? Is that similar enough to stop the question you said coming up

Hm I'm not sure because that question is a 15 marker :smile:
I'm really bad at predictions so I don't wanna say it definitely will or won't come up, but even if it did I'm sure the other 2 45s will be better
I hate making predictions in case examiners mess with us and just go totally against their patterns hahah
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
That's what I thought! We sort of planned it in lesson (we didn't really get all four paragraphs) and we decided to avoid it as a class. Constitution 45 markers range from really good to what the hell is that haha
That's why I'm hoping for an easy congress one or checks on presidential power:crossedf:

I'm just hoping for nice questions that are very vague. Like the question about whether Congress is broken or not lets us use any aspect of the unit, as do questions on whether presidents are imperial. Getting three questions on really specific parts of the course - like whether presidents can live up to expectations, or whether Congress is relevant in foreign policy - is my nightmare, and whether I go to my first choice uni essentially comes down to this exam. I really hope the examiners were feeling kind.
Do you think we could get a 15 mark purely on Filibusters ? helping / hindering democracy
I'm just hoping for nice questions that are very vague. Like the question about whether Congress is broken or not lets us use any aspect of the unit, as do questions on whether presidents are imperial. Getting three questions on really specific parts of the course - like whether presidents can live up to expectations, or whether Congress is relevant in foreign policy - is my nightmare, and whether I go to my first choice uni essentially comes down to this exam. I really hope the examiners were feeling kind.

Yeah oh god I didn't even consider how specific questions can get :frown: I've mostly just focused on questions from before 2013
Yeah I don't even have an insurance choice so I really need to do well :frown: and unit 3 didn't go too well so this exam needs to be so much better
Do you think we could get a 15 mark purely on Filibusters ? helping / hindering democracy

Seems a bit too specific, like I dunno how you'd get 4 points just on the process of filibustering

I can't think of how they help democracy - one Senator can effectively prevent an entire bill from passing. And more significantly, I only have one example for filibusters (Strom Thurmond), so I really hope they don't come up, but then again it's Edexcel so anything can happen.
I can't think of how they help democracy - one Senator can effectively prevent an entire bill from passing. And more significantly, I only have one example for filibusters (Strom Thurmond), so I really hope they don't come up, but then again it's Edexcel so anything can happen.

- Can be argued to enhance democracy as it protects the democratic rights of groups to have their opinions heard (e.g. Wendy Davis' filibuster of 2013 against a bill restricting abortion for 10 hours)
- May be seen as Tyranny of the Minority but can also prevent Tyranny of Majority
- Forces a president to seek consensus building and bipartisanship
- legislation or appointments take too long to pass and sometimes completely abandoned as a result of a filibuster. Over 90% of George W Bush's nominees were successful compared to just 76% of Barack Obama's who has had 79 of his nominees to government agencies blocked (not sure about this one)
- Obama's administration clearly frustrated. In November 2013 Democrats in the Senate passed a rule change which allowed for filibusters to be ended with a simple majority (51/100) this only applies to presidential nominations to judiciary and government agencies
- Filibusters are used to raise politician profiles such as Ted Cruz and Rand Paul who gained a lot of publicity

Honestly I doubt it would come up as well but yeah
Reply 472
i'm hoping @Pato1 saves us all with a nice and tidy prediction haha!

Surely Edexcel will have known this is Obama's final year, so something about being imperilled? Last came up June 2012, I think it is possible.
I'm certainly not expecting an SC 45 marker though, it has come up 4 times in a row.
Reply 473
PREDICTIONS

Constitution 15 Markers:
How are Constitutional rights protected in the US?
How checks and balances between president and congress work
What is the Bill of rights and how important is it?

Constitution 45 Markers:
'The constitutional system of checks and balances is a threat to an effective Government' Discuss.

(They've never put in a Federalism 45 Marker so I would do a brief page of notes of how the role of the state has increased/decreased just in case though I'm not expecting it to be a 45)

Congress 15 Markers:
What factors affect voting in Congress?
Why do only a small amount of bills proposed in Congress become laws?
Why are standing committees important in Congress?

Congress 45 Markers:
'Congress no longer has a significant role in foreign policy.' Discuss

President 15 Markers:
How much power does the president have over the legislative process?
What checks exist on the power of federal bureaucracy?
Why has the scope and size of federal bureaucracy grown in recent years?

President 45 Markers
'An imperial president' to what extent has this been true of the Obama administration
'Bargainer-in-chief' how accurate is this view of the president?

Supreme Court 15 Markers:
Factors which affect the appointment of Supreme court justices
How effective have the Supreme Court been at protecting 1st amendment rights?
Explain the checks on the Supreme Court

Supreme Court 45 Markers: ( I don't expect a 45 for S.C.)
How effectively have civil rights and liberties been protected by the Supreme Court?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nta786
i'm hoping @Pato1 saves us all with a nice and tidy prediction haha!

Surely Edexcel will have known this is Obama's final year, so something about being imperilled? Last came up June 2012, I think it is possible.
I'm certainly not expecting an SC 45 marker though, it has come up 4 times in a row.

True..although in 3c they surprised us with a parties question? Watch when there's no president question haha (I doubt it)
Right now Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) has launched a talking filibuster on the Senate floor in an effort to force Republicans and Democrats to come to an agreement on legislation to deny suspected terrorists from purchasing firearms and requiring universal background checks.
Reply 476
Keep the predictions coming guys!!!!!🙌🙌🙌🙌
Right now Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) has launched a talking filibuster on the Senate floor in an effort to force Republicans and Democrats to come to an agreement on legislation to deny suspected terrorists from purchasing firearms and requiring universal background checks.

**** the pope yeooooooo
Is there enough to talk about Obama alone being imperial? I've done the one on modern presidents being imperial, but I included both Bush and Obama. There's a lot about Obama not being imperial (2013 shutdown, watering down ACA, Guantanamo Bay is still open) but the only thing I can really get for imperial is Libya!
Is there enough to talk about Obama alone being imperial? I've done the one on modern presidents being imperial, but I included both Bush and Obama. There's a lot about Obama not being imperial (2013 shutdown, watering down ACA, Guantanamo Bay is still open) but the only thing I can really get for imperial is Libya!

Executive orders such as cutting federal funding to abortion clinics in March 2010
as well as the DAPA act (although the supreme court are taking him to court for that now) he also resumed stem cell research
He also used the veto to eliminate the keystone pipeline and in jan 2016 he vetoed eliminate getting rid of Obamacare again. None of his vetoes have been override
Then you could mention foreign policy and talk about Libya, and how he reconvened relations with Cuba

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending