The Student Room Group

AQA Maths FP1 - 15 June 2016 [Exam discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hjyu1
I got that and did anyone get q=-1+4I or q=-1+12i

Yes that's correct
Original post by JackLloyd98
I got q=-7,-3,7,23 the sum of the roots is 20 a w=p+2i so w*=p-2i so (p+2i)(p-2i)=20 so p=4 or -4 so w=4+2i or w=-4+2i. I plugged p+2i in equation (p+2i)(p+2i)+(p+2i)(4+i+qi)+20=0

For real parts i got p^2+4p-2q+14=0
For imaginary I got 5p+8+pq=0

Plugging p=4, p=-4 I got q=-7,-3,7,23

That the only way I could see how to do it, was a horrible question nevertheless.

I got p=4 and p =-4 But that gives you a complex number as q not an integer, because the i term has to cancel for it to work -1-4i and -1+12i if I remember correctly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can anyone completely remember the 6 mark part of the matrice question? I really want to definitely know the answer.
I got 2root3 and 2.
The reflection was something like:
-.5 -root3over2
-root3over2 .5
The stretch was like:
4 0
0 1
And the point was
-2?
I was pretty sure from reading online that whichever is the transformation is first one in the multiplication and whichever is the point is second (and it said reflection happened after stretch)
So I did the reflection x stretch x 0, -2
[QUOTE=ollycostello;65808029]Can anyone completely remember the 6 mark part of the matrice question? I really want to definitely know the answer.
I got 2root3 and 2.
The reflection was something like:
-.5 -root3over2
-root3over2 .5
The stretch was like:
4 0
0 1
And the point was
-2?
I was pretty sure from reading online that whichever is the transformation is first one in the multiplication and whichever is the point is second (and it said reflection happened after stretch)
So I did the reflection x stretch x 0, -2

I got ((3^0.5)/2, 2) as the original co-ordinates
Original post by JackLloyd98
I got ((3^0.5)/2, 2) as the original co-ordinates

I thought the question was work out the coordinates of the point (0, -2) AFTER the reflection and stretch has occured to it.

Are you saying the question states the point was (0,-2) after the stretch and reflection happened, and you had to work out the original point?
[QUOTE=ollycostello;65809063]I thought the question was work out the coordinates of the point (0, -2) AFTER the reflection and stretch has occured to it.

Are you saying the question states the point was (0,-2) after the stretch and reflection happened, and you had to work out the original point?

I think the question said the image of a point is (0,-4) after it has undergone the transformation of a stretch followed by a reflection. So you had to find the original co-ordinates. That's how I read the question at least.
I think it was find the image of the point (x,y) under the translation of A^2 followed by a reflection in the line wasn't it? I don't remember my answer so I'm not sure.
Reply 67
You definitely had to find the coordinates before transformation and it became (0, -4) after
Reply 68
does anyone remeber how mark each question was
Original post by -jordan-
I think it was find the image of the point (x,y) under the translation of A^2 followed by a reflection in the line wasn't it? I don't remember my answer so I'm not sure.

Yeah I thought that was almost the exact wording. The people above and below think otherwise though. Doesnt matter too much, probably only 3/4 marks difference
Reply 70
How many marks was the question with complex numbers asking for q?
Prediction for full UMS?
Original post by SM-
Prediction for full UMS?

73 or 74 marks for full UMS. Think the q question was 5.
Original post by SM-
Prediction for full UMS?

Probably not 75 for full UMS because there were some hard questions.
Reply 73
How did people solve the equation 0.5(X-1)>(X-1)/(2X-1)(X+2) ? I cancelled out the two (X-1) brackets but that left me with two intersections, rather than the three evident from the graph.
Original post by yelash
How did people solve the equation 0.5(X-1)>(X-1)/(2X-1)(X+2) ? I cancelled out the two (X-1) brackets but that left me with two intersections, rather than the three evident from the graph.

I was wondering the same (did same thing)
I got (2sqrt3,2) for that one (sqrt means square root btw)
Original post by Stumblingdeth83
I got (2sqrt3,2) for that one (sqrt means square root btw)

That's the right answer if the question was finding the image of (-4, 0) under the combined matrix, but people seem to disagree as to what the question was.

I seem to remember the almost exact wording of the question being Find the image of (-4, 0) under the transformation represented by A^2 followed by a reflection in the line x+root(3)y. But maybe it wasn't.
(edited 7 years ago)
That's the right answer if the question was finding the image of (-4, 0) under the combined matrix, but people seem to disagree as to what the question was.

I seem to remember the almost exact wording of the question being Find the image of (-4, 0) under the transformation represented by A^2 followed by a reflection in the line x+root(3)y. But maybe it wasn't.

Yes, that was the wording, I remember.

Yeah I might have got it wrong because I felt it was a bit simple for 6 marks
Reply 79
I think I got about 71/75 how much ums?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending