The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by metrize
I equated the sd and had solve it, there has to be a quick way for 1 mark but nobody seems to have got it simple

Yup - that's how I did it (and everyone else I've spoken to).
Original post by SelfishWeiner
I got 33. There were two groups of people that corresponded to the two probabilities that you'd calculated previously.

40 x 0.45 = 18 people
37 x 0.405405405... = 15 people

I remember thinking that would be how to do it, but sort of forgot the question now, but think 17 is right. It was something to do with the groups of people ruling out that answer (I think)
I got 17. something for the dinner question and rounded it up to 18. Did anyone else get this?
how many marks was the very last question and the part where it asks you to use your answer to part b c and d to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by metrize
I equated the sd and had solve it, there has to be a quick way for 1 mark but nobody seems to have got it simple

I found a short way, all you had to do was square the Standard deviation and multiply it by 8.
Original post by jasmine9876
how many marks was the very last question and the part where it asks you to use your answer to part b c and d to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That wasn't the very last question, it was question 5 I think. It was worth 3 marks, the one where you explain if Shyan was justified in using a normal distribution.

edit: sorry, didnt read your post properly, the very last question was worth 3 marks aswell. each part in the question 6 was worth 3 marks
(edited 7 years ago)
for the last question would I get marks if I drew the graphs for ų+30 and ų-30?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Venn Diagram question, for part 4dii i put 0.405 rounded instead of 15/37, is this still full marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The latter was three marks. Can't remember for the last question.
Is there an unofficial mark scheme, with the marks allocated for each question anywhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 marks

You could either say:
Yes because there was almost no skew (median and mean we're almost the same) + example

Or no because there was a negative skew (or just a skew)

And then there was the other answer which I didn't know how to use but two of the marks will be for showing that (q2>mean) and that it was skewed or almost the same.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Piers456
For Venn Diagram question, for part 4dii i put 0.405 rounded instead of 15/37, is this still full marks?

That's fine; I did the same. Mark scheme will always say "15/37 or awrt 0.405" or something along those lines.
Original post by Namita Gurung
That's what I put as well. The two values don't fit the trend of the other values which makes it less of a negative correlation so pmcc will be closer to zero.

how many marks was this?
Original post by GarlicBread01
Does anyone remember how many marks was the question which said that
"a baby of 3.34kg was added to the data, describe the changes to the mean and standard deviation"

Definitely 2 marks. I didn't get that question so my eyes were on the number of marks
Original post by SelfishWeiner
That's fine; I did the same. Mark scheme will always say "15/37 or awrt 0.405" or something along those lines.

Cheers
Original post by brokeins1
Definitely 2 marks. I didn't get that question so my eyes were on the number of marks

Some people have been saying 3 marks and others have been saying 2 marks.

I was able to explain mean but I explained s.d. wrong. Really hope it was 2 marks.
Some people have been saying 3 marks and others have been saying 2 marks.

I was able to explain mean but I explained s.d. wrong. Really hope it was 2 marks.

It is 2 for sure. 100%
2 marks - for the question on mean/SD changes
3 marks - discussing the use of a Z distribution for the weights.

Both were different parts of the same Q.

EDIT: May very well have been 4 for the mean/SD thinking back, credit to jasmine9876
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by brokeins1
It is 2 for sure. 100%

Oh my god thats so good, so I would get 1 mark out of the 2?
Oh my god thats so good, so I would get 1 mark out of the 2?

Yea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending