The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 4B Pre-release

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hesterrose
I live in the Fylde and i have never heard of that? I assumed closest would be the lake district ?

must be nice having this exam where you live!!!!!
Original post by clarypops
look at pg 17/8

But it doesn't say what the rules are for the US and when googling it i have found info on the UK (all mineral reserves belong to the Crown), but not a good explanation of that in the US? i get that it is you own the land you stand on, but that seems too informal to write in the exam!
Original post by clarypops
must be nice having this exam where you live!!!!!

I thought that at the start but honestly its not helped me at all!
Here's two useful links if the examiners are looking for up to date knowledge and wider reading, I know they're not related to the Fylde, but they may be useful generally
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/15/uk-fracking-firm-plans-dump-wastewater-in-sea-ineos
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/14/pressure-mounts-over-suppression-of-uk-fracking-impacts-report
'There is a strong anti fracking movement in Lancashire. To what extent do you think their objections are justified'

Somebody help :frown:
Original post by isabelle12345
But it doesn't say what the rules are for the US and when googling it i have found info on the UK (all mineral reserves belong to the Crown), but not a good explanation of that in the US? i get that it is you own the land you stand on, but that seems too informal to write in the exam!

I suppose you can just contrast it to the UK - e.g. In the UK, the mineral deposit ownership is different - the crown owns the land in England and operators must therefore pay 15% tax to frack the land. However, in the USA, this is not the case. Operators can decide to frack anyway without buying the right to the land and is therefore cheaper.
Original post by Atomicmat
I suppose you can just contrast it to the UK - e.g. In the UK, the mineral deposit ownership is different - the crown owns the land in England and operators must therefore pay 15% tax to frack the land. However, in the USA, this is not the case. Operators can decide to frack anyway without buying the right to the land and is therefore cheaper.

That's a good way of wording it! Thank you!

I dont suppose you have any notes on item 2...?
Does somebody have a document of notes they can share on here? Would be a life-saver if anyone could! :smile:

Thanks!
Who has information on the different opposition groups?
Original post by isabelle12345
That's a good way of wording it! Thank you!

I dont suppose you have any notes on item 2...?

No, sorry :/ I'm not sure how useful notes on it would be? Why would you need them?
Anybody know whether we take our preliminary booklet in with us? Or are we given a fresh one enclosed within our exam paper?
i can't access the original article mentioned in item 4, could someone give me the breakdown of it and whether its reliable? thanks
Original post by Atomicmat
Who has information on the different opposition groups?

There's the RAFF, Residents Against Fylde Fracking, who are local residents who feel they've been affected or will be affected by the fracking operations, they organise meetings and events in the area to educate people on what they see as the risks

Then the national opposition group is Frack Off, who coordinate action at sites all around the country, they organise blockades and they've made films and posters to try and get their message across

Hope this helps!
Original post by Dominic_Parry
Anybody know whether we take our preliminary booklet in with us? Or are we given a fresh one enclosed within our exam paper?

We have a fresh one in the exam I'm pretty sure
Original post by abluejayms
'There is a strong anti fracking movement in Lancashire. To what extent do you think their objections are justified'

Somebody help :frown:

Basically just write about points for and against fracking that are relatively specific to Lancashire and come to a conclusion about whether you agree with their objections at the end.

So "On one hand, I would agree with the anti-fracking movement because ......... but on the other hand I would disagree with the movement because....." (Obviously expanding points so each one is like a small paragraph)
Original post by Smith27
We have a fresh one in the exam I'm pretty sure

Our school were given 2, one we were told not to write on and take into the exam with us and a photocopy to write on
Can anyone think of anything that could be useful to say in the exam tomorrow with regards to how the EU referendum outcome could impact energy security?
how would u select groups to answer the questionnaire? is it systematic or random or can you do both.. im so confused
Original post by nicole12345
Can anyone think of anything that could be useful to say in the exam tomorrow with regards to how the EU referendum outcome could impact energy security?

I write about the fact that if we were to leave they could impose trade tariff that increase the price of fuel imports and could be damaging to our economy. I then contrast this point with the fact that we import gas from Norway and oil from Qatar so EU trade tariffs may not significantly affect us in terms of fuel.

Hope this helps a little:smile:
Reply 419
Original post by AslAbb
I am slightly confused where people are getting the idea that the US has more gas than in the UK because in the AIB on page 8, item 3 it says that the 'Bowland-Hodder shales have the potential to form a shale gas resource comparable to the producing shale provinces of North America'
Thanks

Sorry I know I asked this earlier but I haven't seen anyone respond and I'm really confused.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending