The Student Room Group

Is my school allowed to force a btec on me

Today morning my teacher told me i have to do an extra gcse because i wont achieve my minimum of 8 which isnt true as i have written 9 subjects since year 10. I told her i dont want to do it because i have a physics exam on friday and i would be leaving on that day and she said i can do it next week. i really dont want to stay another few days to do this subject which is a btec anyways so i told her my mum will write a letter. Can she force me to do it?
Original post by johnsnowdontknow
Today morning my teacher told me i have to do an extra gcse because i wont achieve my minimum of 8 which isnt true as i have written 9 subjects since year 10. I told her i dont want to do it because i have a physics exam on friday and i would be leaving on that day and she said i can do it next week. i really dont want to stay another few days to do this subject which is a btec anyways so i told her my mum will write a letter. Can she force me to do it?

They can't force you to do anything, its your life and your education. I'm not sure I understand though, do they want you to do an entire BTEC in a week cos if so that seems extremely unreasonable? If its something you've already started and they want you to finish it then I would understand more and maybe advise seeing it through.
Original post by smartalan73
They can't force you to do anything, its your life and your education. I'm not sure I understand though, do they want you to do an entire BTEC in a week cos if so that seems extremely unreasonable? If its something you've already started and they want you to finish it then I would understand more and maybe advise seeing it through.

Its an ECDL course that would take about 2 weeks to complete and they are giving it to students that might not get their 8 GCSEs. It is the last thing i need to be thinking about right now but my head of year told me i 'had to' do it.
Its an ECDL course that would take about 2 weeks to complete and they are giving it to students that might not get their 8 GCSEs. It is the last thing i need to be thinking about right now but my head of year told me i 'had to' do it.

The IT course? Do it, it's the easiest "GCSE" - Just word, powerpoint and that.

Well I can't imagine how a course that can be completed in 2 weeks could possibly be seen as equivalent to a gcse in the first place. If you are going to have over 8 gcses don't you have some kind of paperwork you could show to your school to prove it so they don't even try to force you to do this? and like i said before, they can register you for the qualification if they want but if you don't turn up and complete it, theres nothing they can do about it
Original post by Cicada3301
The IT course? Do it, it's the easiest "GCSE" - Just word, powerpoint and that.

It is quite easy but they want me to stay in a room for at least 2 hours every day to watch these tutorials to make sure im 'well prepared' which is the frustrating part considering im to be signed off in two days with the exam on the last morning.
It is quite easy but they want me to stay in a room for at least 2 hours every day to watch these tutorials to make sure im 'well prepared' which is the frustrating part considering im to be signed off in two days with the exam on the last morning.

Just do it, it's an extra qualification - Looks good as a "D*" Equiv. of an A/A* - It takes about 20 mins per test it's that piss.
Reply 7
ECDL used to be seen as a BTEC but now it's equivalent to a GCSE. Easy A* mate, I'm happy I done it.

Quick Reply

Latest