The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography A2 Unit 4: Life on the Margins- 16th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OrdinaryStudent
china

Okay same! Really not looking forward to it! It seems like a lot to write in only an hour and half!!
Original post by charlotteaimee17
Okay same! Really not looking forward to it! It seems like a lot to write in only an hour and half!!

could you let me know your structure and case studies?
could you let me know your structure and case studies?

Well it depends on the question because obviously I would structure it around that, especially with case studies but basically:

Intro - quote, issue, defintions, framework and methodology
Main discussion - at least one paragraph for each factor (political, socio-economic and environmental) with a case study to go in each. But If I have time I will try and do two case studies for each. Also I will include an evaluation of each issue at the end of each paragraph so probably rank it out of 10 on an impact scale
Conclusion - say how all factors are complex and interlinking and that more research would be required and evaluate

and thats it

my case studies are
Surplus: China and CAP
Insecurity/famine: Vanuatu, the Kalahandi and North Korea
Well it depends on the question because obviously I would structure it around that, especially with case studies but basically:

Main discussion - at least one paragraph for each factor (political, socio-economic and environmental) with a case study to go in each. But If I have time I will try and do two case studies for each. Also I will include an evaluation of each issue at the end of each paragraph so probably rank it out of 10 on an impact scale
Conclusion - say how all factors are complex and interlinking and that more research would be required and evaluate

and thats it

my case studies are

one case study for each? dont you use two case studies on contrasting scale one for famine and one for surplus for each factor?

Intro
- Analysis
- Regional Surplus Case Study - political
- Regional Deficit Case Study - poltiical
- Regional Mini Conclusion
- National Surplus Case Study - environemntal
- National Deficit Case Study - environmental
- National Mini Conclusion
- Local Surplus Case Study - socio-economic
- Local Deficit Case Study socio-economic
- Min Conclusion
- Final Conclusion

would this not be better?
(edited 7 years ago)
one case study for each? dont you use two case studies on contrasting scale one for famine and one for surplus for each factor?

Intro
- Analysis
- Min Conclusion
- Final Conclusion

I mean I'm sure that would be better, but like I said, my geography teachers were no good and so I have no idea how I would be able to do it like that. The only way I can do it is the way I said, but I would stick to what you're doing. Like I said, depending on the question we may not need to use all case studies because if it did happen to be specifically about surplus, you would use mainly surplus and then go on to use maybe one or two from famine in order to contrast. But I don't know.
I mean I'm sure that would be better, but like I said, my geography teachers were no good and so I have no idea how I would be able to do it like that. The only way I can do it is the way I said, but I would stick to what you're doing. Like I said, depending on the question we may not need to use all case studies because if it did happen to be specifically about surplus, you would use mainly surplus and then go on to use maybe one or two from famine in order to contrast. But I don't know.

Sorry I didnt want to come across as saying your structure is bad, I was genuinely asking if the one im following is good.

How are you planning to use your food insecurity/famine case studies? If the question refers to just inequalities would you be contrasting famine/surplus for each factor?
Sorry I didnt want to come across as saying your structure is bad, I was genuinely asking if the one im following is good.

How are you planning to use your food insecurity/famine case studies? If the question refers to just inequalities would you be contrasting famine/surplus for each factor?

No it's fine, I didn't take it like that and I'm sorry if I came off as rude, I'm just a bit stressed as I need to get an A in order to have a future basically. The one you're following is definitely good!

I think I would try to do a paragraph for each factor on food surplus first and then maybe do a couple of paragraphs after that like "In contrast some ares have famine...."

But that probably isnt right and as an English student my structure should probably be better than it is
No it's fine, I didn't take it like that and I'm sorry if I came off as rude, I'm just a bit stressed as I need to get an A in order to have a future basically. The one you're following is definitely good!

I think I would try to do a paragraph for each factor on food surplus first and then maybe do a couple of paragraphs after that like "In contrast some ares have famine...."

But that probably isnt right and as an English student my structure should probably be better than it is

Im not sure if thats right, but thats exactly what im doing!
Reply 88

Intro
- Analysis
- Min Conclusion
- Final Conclusion

based on what my teacher has said and an examiner report i read, it's apparently best to use case studies that have all three types of factors so you can show how they interlink and stuff like that??? but your structure sounds good to me, i know you didn't ask me but~
Original post by minyasi
based on what my teacher has said and an examiner report i read, it's apparently best to use case studies that have all three types of factors so you can show how they interlink and stuff like that??? but your structure sounds good to me, i know you didn't ask me but~

im going to include that too e.g. CAP is political and due to environment
Im not sure if thats right, but thats exactly what im doing!

Okay that's reassuring!!
Reply 91

and thats it

my case studies are

That's more or less what my plan is, too.
Original post by danw97
That's more or less what my plan is, too.

Okay well thats definitely reassuring! I hope it all goes well for you!

Intro
- Analysis
- Min Conclusion
- Final Conclusion

Hi, what case studies did you use for socio economic?
Original post by Muhtasim ahmed
Hi, what case studies did you use for socio economic?

socio-economic is actually my national case study which is China
Any predictions for what the question is going to be on tomorrow??
What do u mean by scale? Anyone who sees this please answer
are you not including scale?
Any predictions for what the question is going to be on tomorrow??

I feel like it'll be something along the lines of:

To what extent do socio-economic factors lead food supply inequalities ?

but that may be too simple and the question might instead include the words food surplus/famine, idk

Edit: last year we were told to research demographic factors, and then when it came to the actual exam they asked us about population growth in particular. I don't know whether they could do that again this year since they've asked us to research there different factors so it would be way too broad to just focus on one thing in particular?(i hope)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AaronT96
What do u mean by scale? Anyone who sees this please answer

On a global scale, on a regional scale, on an international scale, local scale, (you don't have to do every single type of scale but 2 or 3 should be okay.
You have probably picked different scaled case studies without realising anyway, like I am using countries and then also Shanghai and New York on a local scale and then East Africa on a regional scale. (I didn't even mean to but it luckily worked out!)
Oh cool I get it now. Yh I didn't structure it by scale and apparently doing it based on factor isn't as good because they overlap but I'm gonna outline this in my introduction saying it is very complex so other factors will be brought in
I hope the q doesn't deviate from the main questions we used, wouldn't mind focus on socio economic
But anyway good luck guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending