The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Language B 14th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by conscscscsc
We did LITERALLY the exact same thing on every point and I felt the exact same way on everything you said. Are you me? How many pages did you do?

Yours both sounds much better than mine, I thought I did okay though :gasp:
I wrote urgula instead of ursula Bellugi, do I get no marks for it?
Did anyone find any borrowings?
Child language acquisition-
A little bit on vygostky:- imaginative play linking with the dad and Leah. Scaffolding
Piaget-pre-operational abstract concepts
Skinner-reinforcement
Bruner- interacting
Halliday-instrumental interactional
Consonant cluster reductions, phoneme etc
Modal auxiliary verbs
Personal pronouns
Inflections
Etc: can't remember everything I wrote
Q4(language change)- descriptivism in second text
Passive voice and active voice
Archaic nouns
Compounds
Blends
Modal auxiliary verbs
Pronouns
Adverbs
Lexical field
Positive lexis and negative
Acronym/abbreviation
Pointing sub ordinate clause
Etc:can't remember all
To those who done Q3, what did you write? I think I screwed myself over picking that question. I never practised the comparison question and Q3 was too modern :frown:
Original post by conscscscsc
We did LITERALLY the exact same thing on every point and I felt the exact same way on everything you said. Are you me? How many pages did you do?

hahaha i probably stole your brain for the exam

i get to use a computer in the exam, typed about 4 sides for each :smile: (but i think i wrote more for speech than language change :smile:)
Who did question 3?
- I wrote about discourse - how its similar to how letters are written today.
- Impact of the printing press
- hyphenation
- how there used to be a prudish attitude towards etiquette and how one should behave
- politness in the refusal letter
- "shan't" no longer used, arachic etc
Original post by ruby567
Who did question 3?
- hyphenation
- how there used to be a prudish attitude towards etiquette and how one should behave

Yeah those are all valid points :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone do writing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WaywardWriter
Did anyone do writing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did!
I wish I picked the first text for language change. I did the compare one and I felt as if my points were very vague and underdeveloped. I wrote about how language has changed form very detailed (use of adjectives some are archaic) to very brief simple language, the second text uses lists to display its info. I linked this to Jean Aichinsons metaphors. I also talked about the education act in relation to this, language has become a lot more simple bc of widespread education. I talked about functional theory, how in the second texts we have nouns like film and television and how when a neologism is formed a lexical gap is filled. I talked about cultural transmission/substratum theory, how in the bottom it displays his star sign, I said it derives from Greek/ Latin (lol I actually had no idea where it comes from). I talked about prescriptivists/descriptivists. David crystal, flowing river but I feel as if in both texts I could have talked about language so MUCH MORE. And I know I'm going to loose a lot of marks for that.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did Question 1 and Question 3!
I don't know why people are saying question 3 would have been difficult? I found a lot to say. I think I did alright on both questions. Definitely not a/a* answers but I only need a C.
For question 3 I wrote about
-archaic lexis (shan't, and brute)
-discourse (the format of letters)
-politeness (in 1931 it was very important to be polite and correct aka etiquette )
- blending (when they used 'wifie' I said this could be because they were addressing her as kiddie but also as a term of endearment)
-then went on to speak about more terms of endearment (use of dear and dearest)
I through in some things about FACE in the refusal letter
If you've read novels from around this time then you might know it was very popular for men to write proposal letters and the women to respond back.
I did write about some other stuff as well but I can't really remember, it definitely wasn't the worst exam I've ever had to sit through
Original post by ruby567
Who did question 3?
- hyphenation

I did q3 too! I also put negative politeness in the refusal letter, I also linked that with divergence. I did irregular capitalisation for the marriage proposal letter and mentioned some contextual info in there (something about how in the 20th century marriage was seen as a religious ceremony and deemed as important). I somehow did nearly a full page on the semantic change of "Kiddie" (don't ask haha) and linked the semantic change to the crumbling castle metaphor that the semantic change is ruining language and instead language should be preserved . We now associate kiddie as maybe another name for child and I said the original meaning could be unmarried woman (wasn't too sure on that one though). I wrote two more points but I can't remember them! Sounds like good you had some good points down though :smile:
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Guys how did everyone's exam go? Mine went awful! The texts weren't even that hard I just messed up with my timings and not propperly annotating and making a plan. I just went straight in and started writing about crap:frown:. I put literally no language features in my child language essay. My language change essay was a disaster too I realised halfway through I should have chosen the other text but it was too late. I actually want to cry because I wanted an A* in this subject because I want to do linguistics at uni, but I'll be lucky to even scrape a C. I LITERALLY ONLY PICKED OUT NOUNS AND ADJECTIVES!

I'm completely in the same boat :frown: I really wanted to ace the exam and start english lang at uni with some confidence, but I think english might end up being my lowest grade :s-smilie: The language change section really brought me down and I completely regret picking question 3 - I just went into a blind panic and wrote whatever came into my head. I know I could have done better, which is probably the most frustrating thing.

I found last year's grade boundaries, and for the exam it was:
A*-79
A- 69
B- 59
C- 49
D- 39
E- 30

It looks like you can drop roughly 36 marks and still get a B? Hopefully this is somewhat reassuring
Original post by hagridhair
I'm completely in the same boat :frown: I really wanted to ace the exam and start english lang at uni with some confidence, but I think english might end up being my lowest grade :s-smilie: The language change section really brought me down and I completely regret picking question 3 - I just went into a blind panic and wrote whatever came into my head. I know I could have done better, which is probably the most frustrating thing.

I found last year's grade boundaries, and for the exam it was:
A*-79
A- 69
B- 59
C- 49
D- 39
E- 30

It looks like you can drop roughly 36 marks and still get a B? Hopefully this is somewhat reassuring

I'm just so disappointed in myself I was so confident and had everything in my head then as soon as I get in the exam it all just disappeared. It's such a shame your whole year of work depends on two and half hours. Oh well it's been done now:frown: what university have you applied for?
What did people get for question 4? Feel like I really messed up.
Syntax - complex vs simple
Marked terms - patriarchal society vs individual orientated
Semantic broadenting word 'game' perhaps due to technological advances. Clipping - bio instead of biography. Initialism BBC - linked to algeo's formation of neologisms
Lexical field- wealth, family, religion and prosperity vs more individualistic and focuses on individuals accomplishments
Context- middle class audience vs mass public audience - context- education act and globalisation.
Register formal vs informal
Linked the long s just for the lols- linked this to prescriptivist- Johnston introduced it in 1755 but didn't fall out of use until 1811- reflective of the audience as it was mc then and so latest grammatical features had to be up to date in order to appeal to mc audience at that time
Nothing for grammar, so disappointed with myself
There was archaic lexis but I thought I was wrong so didn't include it
There was also a functional shift that some of my friends got but didn't include that either.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I'm just so disappointed in myself I was so confident and had everything in my head then as soon as I get in the exam it all just disappeared. It's such a shame your whole year of work depends on two and half hours. Oh well it's been done now:frown: what university have you applied for?

Exactly, I feel like most exams are just test your memory and how fast you can write :frown: I've firmed queen mary (AAB) They haven't specified grade or subject, but I'm dreading having english as my lowest grade - it would shatter my confidence hugely, especially because I'm still not 100% convinced I want to go to uni. You?
Original post by Chuck234
Semantic broadenting word 'game' perhaps due to technological advances. Clipping - bio instead of biography. Initialism BBC - linked to algeo's formation of neologisms
Lexical field- wealth, family, religion and prosperity vs more individualistic and focuses on individuals accomplishments
Context- middle class audience vs mass public audience - context- education act and globalisation.
Linked the long s just for the lols- linked this to prescriptivist- Johnston introduced it in 1755 but didn't fall out of use until 1811- reflective of the audience as it was mc then and so latest grammatical features had to be up to date in order to appeal to mc audience at that time
There was also a functional shift that some of my friends got but didn't include that either.

I feel exactly the same way about my LC essay, I felt like I could've done so much more. I wrote about spelling change of publick in orthography and said it was an approximent. Then linked it to David Crystal, and Robert Lowth. I also linked Lowth to the lack of punctuation variety in the older text, and said it reflected the importance of the written word. But because it wasn't explicitly written, I said that it reflected the influence of language on technology, then a final link to MAK Halliday as an example of a form of language potential. My second paragraph I looked at language change and used 'unbent' as the main example. Unpicked it in terms of its similarity to unwind. Then linked it to the modern, hectic lifestyle choice of today as reflecting a need for such a word. I also looked at the prefix -un and very tentatively suggested that they may share a derivation in terms of their origin and then linked in substratum theory. I also mentioned compounding in language change and said although it could be another example of lexical economy, it may be a reflection of level of education. The first education act was in 1880, following the publication of the text, thus its significance is not felt. But I didn't finish my final paragraph. I stated the disparity of the representation of social norms and values. Gave the star sign as an example versus the use of religion. The juxtaposition of the deep sense of faith is challenged by the seemingly trivial position of star sign under the title quick facts. Connotations of quick as reflecting modern lifestyle, but equally perhaps indicative of the process of informalisation. Hopefully that's enough for at least an A with my CLA essay, it might bump it up. I needed 43 marks to get an A, so totally doable but really want an A*!
Awh the unben paragraph sounds like one I would have loved to have done. However, we haven't learnt about Halliday in terms of language change, but only in acquisition. That sounds like an A grade response to be honest, as long as you've got 4 theorists and explained them well you've most likely hit The top A02 bracket of 16 marks. I think it's about 4 context points for the full 8 A03 marks.
Did you study language and technology in As for Halliday? Just thought that might be your synoptic link. Do you do sociology as well - recognise norms and values, not that I wrote about a value consensus. Literally hate language change with a passion, think I nailed language aquisition though so just got to have hope.
Was there globalisation in q4, I swear they spelled baptised with a Z. I talked about it anways
Yeah I linked to Americanisation or idocincracy, perhaps the of this text is an American citizen
Original post by Chuck234

I didn't mention the audience properly, education act or gloabalisation. I'm gonna flop this exam :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending