The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by needanewusername
No problem:smile:

I've never seen a question asking about the relationship between multiculturalism and conservatism, liberalism could still happen but there was one last year. There was another one about multiculturalism and liberalism in Jan 2010 which has never been repeated however, and it's a little different from the one last year, so I suppose that could be asked, I hope not too though.

I don't think you need to mention the other ideologies (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but if you've got time, I'd give it a try. Liberalism is usually quite easy to fit into a multiculturalism question. Also, if you have time, you could also mention cosmopolitan multiculturalism in the question on tension/conflict, and just say how a pre-existing dominant culture is likely to subsume minority cultures, but that might be pushing it for time, idk

Your a smarty
I'm dreading this exam so much
I actually really hate politics...maybe if I did America I may have enjoyed it more but argh and I need a B in this subject and I don't tunnel it's going to happen sadly:frown:
What about the 15 markers for multiculturalism?
Original post by xxvine
Your a smarty
I'm dreading this exam so much
I actually really hate politics...maybe if I did America I may have enjoyed it more but argh and I need a B in this subject and I don't tunnel it's going to happen sadly:frown:
What about the 15 markers for multiculturalism?

You're too kind, sorry if I look like I'm showing off:')

Honestly me too, especially since I was expecting unit 3 to go a bit better than it did, I need a B as well, what did you get last year? The American one seems less interesting to me, but ideologies has really worn me out ngl, hope everything goes well for you anyway.

Sorry I don't really know about the 15 markers, I've hardly looked at them, which is probably a bad idea.
How do I answer on what grounds have conservatives criticised multiculturalists?
I detailed plan would be great thanks!!
Original post by needanewusername
You're too kind, sorry if I look like I'm showing off:':wink:

Honestly me too, especially since I was expecting unit 3 to go a bit better than it did, I need a B as well, what did you get last year? The American one seems less interesting to me, but ideologies has really worn me out ngl, hope everything goes well for you anyway.

Sorry I don't really know about the 15 markers, I've hardly looked at them, which is probably a bad idea.

Thanks man
I got a B last year
B unit 1 C unit 2 but I retook unit 2 this year and it didn't go well
Argh
You?
I have to accept that I won't be getting an A in this subject. :erm:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
I have to accept that I won't be getting an A in this subject. :erm:

Unit 4 is so much harder than unit 3.. Unit 4 nationalism and multuculturalism are so unappealing like it's confusing af 😩
Original post by bsbnah
Unit 4 is so much harder than unit 3.. Unit 4 nationalism and multuculturalism are so unappealing like it's confusing af 😩

It's peculiar. I do like those two topics (personally, I think they're the easiest of 4B) - however, I find it difficult to answer questions and fathom what is actually being asked. :redface:
Any predictions on nationalism questions?
It's peculiar. I do like those two topics (personally, I think they're the easiest of 4B) - however, I find it difficult to answer questions and fathom what is actually being asked. :redface:

Yep, I feel that. I need an A in politics tho. I probably need an A* in 4b tho, I was raped by 3B :frown:
Original post by mutantman52
Yep, I feel that. I need an A in politics tho. I probably need an A* in 4b tho, I was raped by 3B :frown:

I think the 45 marker went quite well; I floundered on the 15 markers. :erm: As soon as I got out of the exam I realised that I was stupid to avoid one because I didn't realise what it was asking. Hope I don't get caught out again. :frown:
What topics are you hoping for? :holmes:
I think the 45 marker went quite well; I floundered on the 15 markers. :erm: As soon as I got out of the exam I realised that I was stupid to avoid one because I didn't realise what it was asking. Hope I don't get caught out again. :frown:
What topics are you hoping for? :holmes:

I messed the essay up, I talked waaay more about democracy than state. The 15 markers weren't that bad tho. I honestly don't know what I want for tomorrow, I'm ****ed whatever comes up. :frown:
Original post by xxvine
Thanks man
I got a B last year
B unit 1 C unit 2 but I retook unit 2 this year and it didn't go well
Argh
You?

That's good, but yeah hope you surprise yourself with the retake then:smile: this paper tomorrow better be good

I got a high C last year, could really do with taking that up to a B this year, but didn't take any retakes yay
I messed the essay up, I talked waaay more about democracy than state. The 15 markers weren't that bad tho. I honestly don't know what I want for tomorrow, I'm ****ed whatever comes up. :frown:

I'm sure as long as the weights (as opposed to quantity on either side) of the arguments you made were mostly balanced you'll be fine? :redface: I did the anarchism one. :h:
We'll be fine. :colondollar: Although I'm demoralised atm because I'm pretty sure my last exam was B grade material. :erm:
Original post by Annie.humair
How do I answer on what grounds have conservatives criticised multiculturalists?
I detailed plan would be great thanks!!

I have a brief plan for this, for how conservatives have criticised nationalist

- Intro of multiculturalism (origins and peak)
- Conservatives reject due to diversity manifest conflict (belief in organic society and human imperfection)
- anti multiculturalism
- anti immigration (assimilation and repatriation)
- anti supranationalism

and just develop on it i guess! not sure if correct but my way of answering it since they contrast sharply due to what they advocate at its core
I'm sure as long as the weights (as opposed to quantity on either side) of the arguments you made were mostly balanced you'll be fine? :redface: I did the anarchism one. :h:
We'll be fine. :colondollar: Although I'm demoralised atm because I'm pretty sure my last exam was B grade material. :erm:

I'd love to have gotten a B in that paper. I got 98/100 in unit 2 last year, so I only need 75 ums in both units this year. :frown:
Literally praying for 2 feminist questions this year
I'd love to have gotten a B in that paper. I got 98/100 in unit 2 last year, so I only need 75 ums in both units this year. :frown:

Omg :awesome: - you did very well indeed. I'm pretty sure you can do it again! :woo: Good luck, you're very obviously capable - I hope tomorrow works out well for you. :yep:
Why does literally no one do 4D😭
Can somebody please explain pluralist multiculturalism?
Original post by AaronT96
For anyone who did the the Anarchism 45 marker on if it's desirable and realistic
The themes of the essay was discussing core anarchist beliefs or strands and discuss why they think it's realistic and good but then u criticise it (mentioning positive and negative Utopianism) my points were:
-Collectivist anarchism very positive view of human nature so collectivist society would work with no state. Conservatives and libs criticise this over positive view of human nature and that people aren't suited to cooperation more to competition
-Anarcho communism explaining all the anarchist beliefs including kropotkin Bakunin saying how it would work etc and it's similar end goal to Marxists. But Marxists criticise because anarchists don't wanna use state eg dictatorship of prols to ensure it, therefore unrealistic expectation
-then talk about anarchists believe in spontaneous change. Say how no plan or technique or use of politics etc makes it unrealistic to achieve anarchic society. Assassinating Alexander II for eg only strengthens state and give negative public opinion
-I talked about proudhons mutualism and said how replacing state with equitable change won't work. Exploitation would occur as humans are self striving and will want profit
-talked about individualist anarchism and anarchy communism said why they believe free market is good and no state is good then discussed the free market will replace the state (supply and demand) courts etc can be private making them fair as they compete for customers rather than based on state agenda.
But said how libs believe state is important eg night watchman state and contract theory as well as criticised stirners egoism
Oh I also discussed syndicalism saying how it was effective and one of only strands that made progress and discussed sorel. Then said how it wasn't achieving anarchic society too much reform not enough spontaneous change or revolution
I wrote about 6 pages

Anyone who has done this can you tell me if all these points in great detail is an A grade answer or correct for that matter
Thanks a lot I'm just worried

I think your points are pretty strong, and definitely valid. I said similar things about the contrasting views on human nature of conservatives/liberals and anarchists, and used the Marxist criticism of anarchist methods, that the dictatorship of the proletariat is necessary to stop the state being reestablished. If you've covered all those in detail I'd say you don't have anything to worry about! I've gotten A's with weaker essays, and you can actually miss quite a lot of marks and still get high grades in this exam.

Latest