The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Love Through The Ages. Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eble
Does anyone have any essay templates to follow, e.g. What goes in each paragraph. As I'm struggling on how to structure my essays😬

Here's what my teacher suggested
(Firstly always remember that the AO's are equal in weight - all 10 marks)

Opening paragraph:
Use the phrase "both poems" - straight away starting your comparison
Identify your common link between both poems
Make sure you mention the form! (My teacher said its really important to get your form into the first paragraph - it makes the examiner aware you know what it is and it helps you for the rest of your essay)
Think about the writers - do they have the same perspective or not? Are they male or female?
Summarise what each text is about

Rest of the essay:
Use your main frameworks:
Form/Structure - what words are stressed? Why has the writer done this? What is the effect of using this? What does it reveal?
Language - which words stand out? What literary devices are used? The effect & why? What does it reveal?
Tone/Atmosphere - is it happy, sad, upbeat? What does it show/reveal about the writers ideas
WIDER READING: make sure to use your WR links in the text! You can link on anything, not just theme - it can be the use of a literary device, the form, the style etc. Anything!

Conclusion: round of your essay, you're comparing so come to a conclusion of why they are similar and/or different.

Hope this helps :smile:
Can anybody help make absolutely clear the difference between Language, Form and Structure?? Thank you!
Reply 182
Original post by natashaellenx
For some reason I am super worried about this exam, when I know I shouldn't be that worried. It's my best subject and I've never failed even a practice exam but I feel like I'm not doing enough.

What is everyone doing to revise for the exam? I can't do any full length answers now because obviously it's a bit too late to do anymore and my teacher isn't at school now and I've got a list of quotes to remember, I don't know what else I should be doing to prepare :frown:

To help with context you should try and memorise the rough dates for each time period from Renaissance to Post-Modern and major events/things that happened during them so when you're in the exam you can look at what time the texts are written in and and context to it e.g. the play A Doll's House would have been very controversial because women were very restricted as to what they could do. Additionally there's some really good videos on Youtube about how to get good marks in the exam etc. I hope you find this helpful :smile:
Reply 183
Here's what my teacher suggested
(Firstly always remember that the AO's are equal in weight - all 10 marks)

Opening paragraph:
Use the phrase "both poems" - straight away starting your comparison
Identify your common link between both poems
Make sure you mention the form! (My teacher said its really important to get your form into the first paragraph - it makes the examiner aware you know what it is and it helps you for the rest of your essay)
Think about the writers - do they have the same perspective or not? Are they male or female?
Summarise what each text is about

Rest of the essay:
Use your main frameworks:
Form/Structure - what words are stressed? Why has the writer done this? What is the effect of using this? What does it reveal?
Language - which words stand out? What literary devices are used? The effect & why? What does it reveal?
Tone/Atmosphere - is it happy, sad, upbeat? What does it show/reveal about the writers ideas
WIDER READING: make sure to use your WR links in the text! You can link on anything, not just theme - it can be the use of a literary device, the form, the style etc. Anything!

Conclusion: round of your essay, you're comparing so come to a conclusion of why they are similar and/or different.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thankyou this will help a lot when planning my answers. Do you compare form, structure, language in each paragraph or do you write about each item individually and then compare? My teacher likes to do the following:
Para 1- item A language
Para 2 - item B comparing with item A language
Para 3 - item A form
Para 4 - item B form comparing
And so on... Not sure whether this is effective.
Thanks
Original post by loveireandblog
Can anybody help make absolutely clear the difference between Language, Form and Structure?? Thank you!

Found this from an old thread back in 2007, thought it summed it up pretty nicely:

"Form - What you are studying e.g. novel, play, diary entry, poem... etc.

Structure - how that piece is structured, so the acts in a play, the stanzas in a poem, the chapters of a novel... you can also 'zoom in' a bit and look at rhyme schemes/word order in poems, paragraphs in prose, stage directions (exits and entrances) etc.

Language - the choice of words and their characteristics - typically things like alliteration, assonance, sibilance, the linguistic history of a word, onomatopoeia... but also things like semantic field, or just general observations on language type e.g. 'He uses emotive language'"
Original post by eble
Thankyou this will help a lot when planning my answers. Do you compare form, structure, language in each paragraph or do you write about each item individually and then compare? My teacher likes to do the following:
Para 1- item A language
Para 2 - item B comparing with item A language
Para 3 - item A form
Para 4 - item B form comparing
And so on... Not sure whether this is effective.
Thanks

Yes that's exactly it! Each one individually, although sometimes they might overlap but I'm sure that's okay too
Original post by MClu04
To help with context you should try and memorise the rough dates for each time period from Renaissance to Post-Modern and major events/things that happened during them so when you're in the exam you can look at what time the texts are written in and and context to it e.g. the play A Doll's House would have been very controversial because women were very restricted as to what they could do. Additionally there's some really good videos on Youtube about how to get good marks in the exam etc. I hope you find this helpful :smile:

Thank you! My teacher actually gave us a pack on time periods so I'll make some quick notes on those then! Thanks very much
does anyone have anything on Gatsby? I missed most of my lessons on it through illness :/
what i'm struggling most with is that I have quotes from different texts etc but im AWFUL at knowing what type of love it actually is... getting quite nervous now...
Reply 188
Yes that's exactly it! Each one individually, although sometimes they might overlap but I'm sure that's okay too

How would you bring contexts in? Is it best to put contexts in a paragraph at the begin in or just refer to them throughout the essay were relevant?
Has anyone got any notes of the different time periods that they would be willing to share? :smile:
How many points are people aiming for?
How do I tackle shakespeare? I literaly never understand it
can someone please confirm where for q2 you can use all 3 genres?!
Original post by popbop321
can someone please confirm where for q2 you can use all 3 genres?!

Yes you can, this quote is taken from an AQA guide about question 2:
"Candidates should also make revelevent references to their wider reading across all three genres to inform their interpretations"

It also says:
"In question 2, they must not repeat points about wider reading already made in question 1, as they cannot receive credit for the same material twice"
Just in case people were wondering about that also :smile:
Yes you can, this quote is taken from an AQA guide about question 2:
"Candidates should also make revelevent references to their wider reading across all three genres to inform their interpretations"

It also says:
"In question 2, they must not repeat points about wider reading already made in question 1, as they cannot receive credit for the same material twice"
Just in case people were wondering about that also :smile:

Thank you! Would you agree for q2 it's best to focus on the remaining 2 genres predominantly and if you have time, bring in the q1 genre? I'm just not sure :frown:
Reply 195
does anyone know what to put in a conclusion? I literally have no idea...
Original post by popbop321
Thank you! Would you agree for q2 it's best to focus on the remaining 2 genres predominantly and if you have time, bring in the q1 genre? I'm just not sure :frown:

I'm not sure what's best, but I would probably do that, because you've already shown your WR for the first genre in Q1. Obviously if there's something that you think you can link to from the Q1 genre though, it can't hurt to add it in if you have time! But I would definitely focus on trying to get WR in for the remaining genres first :-)
I'm not sure what's best, but I would probably do that, because you've already shown your WR for the first genre in Q1. Obviously if there's something that you think you can link to from the Q1 genre though, it can't hurt to add it in if you have time! But I would definitely focus on trying to get WR in for the remaining genres first :-)

Thank you, that's really helpful :smile: could you please link me the info about not repeating wider reading between questions 1 & 2?
Reply 198
Original post by loveireandblog
How many points are people aiming for?

I struggle to find points of comparison to focus my paragraphs on and instead base each paragraph on form/structure/language.
Could you give me an example of a point you would use?
Thanks
Reply 199
Original post by _carly_
does anyone know what to put in a conclusion? I literally have no idea...

My teacher said that you've probably gained most marks by the conclusion so it's not overly important so I usually keep it quite simple and just draw the two pieces together. So I'll start by saying something like: Although written over 300 years apart, the depictions of ..... show that attitudes towards .... had altered little/largely over this period. Both ...... However, Item A is arguably more..., possibly due to the (insert context here)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending