The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Geraer100
To clarify one doubt that I have,

When you have cos(6x)=cos(4x), the solutions are 6x=4x+/-2nipi or 6x=2npi+/-4x? and for tan6x=tan4x, the solutions will always be 6x=4x+/-npi or 6x=npi+/-4x?
And how do you usually deduce for example the solutions of cosx=-(sqroot(3)/2), the solutions are sometimes, x=2npi+/-2pi/3 and sometimes it's x=npi+/-pi/3. Are there any tricks where writing the general form of these of questions. (I always get a bit confused at this).

n encompasses +- as it can be negative, the second one is correct
Second again
for cos x = something
you do
x= +-cos^-1 (something) + 2npi
for sin you do
x= sin-1 (something) + 2npi and (pi-sin-1(something)) + 2npi

tan is
x = tan-1(something) + npi

Sometimes you have to check all the solutions will work
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ValerieKR
n encompasses +- as it can be negative, the second one is correct
Second again
for cos x = something
you do
x= +-cos^-1 (something) + 2npi
for sin you do
x= sin-1 (something) + 2npi and (pi-something) + 2npi

tan is
x = tan-1(something) + npi

Sometimes you have to check all the solutions will work

Okay thanks! In the question that I post, the first solutions are the ones that n encompasses +/-, so I am a bit confused:smile:
Original post by shamika
Yep, should be fine

thank you :smile:
I'm the only one doing STEP II in my school tomorrow. Finger crossed and hope I'd come out ok....
Liberation in 29 hrs..
Reply 1504
Original post by betterthanbarbs
I'm the only one doing STEP II in my school tomorrow. Finger crossed and hope I'd come out ok....
Liberation in 29 hrs..

Same here, I'll sure we'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Liberation in 29 hrs..

Good luck :smile:

Since you're the only person doing the exam can you walk around the room?
If I don't get a U in STEP II I'll empty my bank account on results day to a charity
Liberation in 29 hrs..

Same here. I have my fingers crossed too. Good luck :smile:
Good luck for tomorrow, guys!
Original post by Zacken
:rofl:

Please remove your post.

Uh.. why? Am I missing something here? :confused:
STEP II 2014 Q4. Is arctan 1/x = π/2 - arctan x a common result that I should know? If so, are there corresponding ones for arcsin and arccos?
(edited 7 years ago)
Heya, not used this thread before. Im not as clever as you lot haha, found step 1 quite hard, trying to figure out whether I got a grade 3 or scraped a grade 2. (Probably 3 lol)
For question 1, I proved it for 1,2,3, came back to disprove it for 4 at the end but ran out of time so only did half. for the second part I did part i and got it right and I started ii but didn't finish it, got to the part of expanding and stopped.

For wuestion 2, I did the differentiation part and completed part i correct, I started both ii and ii but didn get to the end. (Do you still get method marks even if u don't get to the answer)

Question 4 I only did part i but got it right.

Question 10 I got the method right could prove part i but that was an arithmetic error somewhere in my working but got the method right if that makes sense. Then used the given e in part ii and found out the 2 unknowns and if I can remember right, they are right according to the solutions on here.

Started question 3 but ran out of time right at the end so only managed to do the first graph.

What grade do you think this will be? Sorry didn't complete as many as these people ahahab
Reply 1512
Original post by student0042
STEP II 2014 Q4. Is arctan 1/x = π/2 - arctan x a common result that I should know? If so, are there corresponding ones for arcsin and arccos?

Well it's a particular case of arctan(a) + arctan(b) = arctan(a+b/1-ab) which is a very handy formula. I don't think there are equivalents for sin and cos but i may well be mistaken

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

I just wanted to wish all of you all the best for STEP 2 tomorrow (for those taking it).
I'd also like to say thanks to all of you, I've found this thread (and it's precursor) really useful these past few months (sorry for not contributing myself).

Anyway, thanks,
Nathan
Good luck everyone!
Original post by ComputerMaths97
If I don't get a U in STEP II I'll empty my bank account on results day to a charity

Please send all monies to the shamika foundation.
Original post by fa991
Well it's a particular case of arctan(a) + arctan(b) = arctan(a+b/1-ab) which is a very handy formula. I don't think there are equivalents for sin and cos but i may well be mistaken

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cosx=sin(pi/2-x) so you can find a arcosx +arcsinx aswell. Take care of periodicity aswell when handling this stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ComputerMaths97

Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit.
-Napoleon Hill
Original post by TheWiseMan
Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit.
-Napoleon Hill

My benefit is that I'll never take STEP again.

And I'll never underestimate the difficulty of an exam.
Reply 1519
Original post by Gwenuin
Uh.. why? Am I missing something here? :confused:

You can't discuss the exam till 24 after you've sat the exam in the UK. Bear this in mind for STEP II as well.

Original post by student0042

Yes, pretty much - there are similar ones for arcsin and arccos: arccos x + arcsin x = pi/2

hint: think of a right angled triangle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending