The Student Room Group

All Biology and Chemistry students please help!!

So I am thinking of taking bio, chem, maths and another subject for A level.
I am good at these subjects but excel much more in biology than chemistry as it is like second nature to me. However, I feel that if I only do Biology without chemistry I will have little options of courses at uni. Many of my teachers (science) have also said this. Don't get me wrong it's not being good in the subject that is my issue but I do better in biology and enjoy biology a lot more. Is this true and please help
It does depend what you wanna do at uni. Like if you wanted to do something biology based at uni then people would probably assume you'd wanna do something like medicine and most medicine courses do require chemistry, also there's stuff like biochemistry and lots of combined science courses. I'm sure there are courses out there that only require biology but I would say not doing chemistry would limit your options somewhat. If your worried about finding chemistry hard, there is a fair bit of overlap between the 2 subjects so if your good at biology then you shouldn't find chemistry too bad. Also it would arguably be easier than doing a completely unrelated A level as you'd find that revision for the 2 subjects would overlap.
Reply 2
Original post by abbigm1
I am good at these subjects but excel much more in biology than chemistry as it is like second nature to me. However, I feel that if I only do Biology without chemistry I will have little options of courses at uni. Many of my teachers (science) have also said this. Don't get me wrong it's not being good in the subject that is my issue but I do better in biology and enjoy biology a lot more. Is this true and please help

Definitely do chemistry. I do both bio and chem, and a strong chem background lets you understand a lot more in bio.
If you do want to take bio at uni, you will almost definitely have biochemistry modules, and (bio)chemistry features heavily in bio experiments. Plus, it looks good.
Reply 3
Original post by h3rmit
Definitely do chemistry. I do both bio and chem, and a strong chem background lets you understand a lot more in bio.
If you do want to take bio at uni, you will almost definitely have biochemistry modules, and (bio)chemistry features heavily in bio experiments. Plus, it looks good.

I am worried that the workload will get on top of me. Do you find it extremely hard? I feel like if I start working hard from the moment I begin the course I will hopefully be less stressed, unlike during my gcse exams rn because I've been so last minute
Reply 4
Original post by abbigm1
I am worried that the workload will get on top of me. Do you find it extremely hard? I feel like if I start working hard from the moment I begin the course I will hopefully be less stressed, unlike during my gcse exams rn because I've been so last minute

Chemistry's probably easier in terms of workload than bio, you just need to understand the content but there isn't that much content (compared to bio). The maths is usually basic and the AS papers I did these last two months were quite good.

Pay attention in class and you barely need to do any work outside of class (unlike bio)
Original post by abbigm1

There will be some parts in biology where it includes biology and chemistry together for example if you are doing biological molecules so doing chemistry with biology would definitely help. Coming from someone who only does biology, I think I definitely regret not picking chemistry because it would take me a lot longer to understand all of the biochemistry stuff and everyone would understand it before me :frown:. A lot of biology degrees would ask for chemistry as well so if you are thinking of doing a biology degree or anything like that then I would say pick chemistry as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Musiccrazyloz
There will be some parts in biology where it includes biology and chemistry together for example if you are doing biological molecules so doing chemistry with biology would definitely help. Coming from someone who only does biology, I think I definitely regret not picking chemistry because it would take me a lot longer to understand all of the biochemistry stuff and everyone would understand it before me :frown:. A lot of biology degrees would ask for chemistry as well so if you are thinking of doing a biology degree or anything like that then I would say pick chemistry as well.

Are there really many courses you can do with solely bio and not chemistry?
Original post by abbigm1
Are there really many courses you can do with solely bio and not chemistry?

Depends on the university, some courses that are just straight biology degrees will accept just biology but there isn't a lot of universities that offer that. Doing chemistry with biology will definitely keep more options open.
Reply 8
1 word: amines
Original post by Ohnis
1 word: amines

So accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h3rmit
Chemistry's probably easier in terms of workload than bio, you just need to understand the content but there isn't that much content (compared to bio). The maths is usually basic and the AS papers I did these last two months were quite good.

Pay attention in class and you barely need to do any work outside of class (unlike bio)

That's is a good combination. Go with maths and biology. I have a tutor who managed my maths course last semester and I got an A hoping to get more As with him. I can recommend to anyone who need his services

Quick Reply

Latest