The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Chemistry C2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
The forward reaction is exothermic so the backwards reaction is ............
Endothermic
Reply 301
3. How does the size of nanoparticles compare to the size of regular particles?
Much, much smaller (1-100nm across).
Original post by jackbarry1999
Better to use nano particles instead of powder as a catalyst because of nanotubes have larger surface area to volume ratio

same that's what i wrote. but i also said that if you break it up its surface area increases therefore an increase in rate of reaction
In the Electrolysis question what was the gas that was produced at the negative electrode is is Oxygen or Hydrogen?
I wrote Oxygen then crossed it out and wrote Hydrogen is it right?
Reply 304
Original post by Help Me...
In the Electrolysis question what was the gas that was produced at the negative electrode is is Oxygen or Hydrogen?
I wrote Oxygen then crossed it out and wrote Hydrogen is it right?

Yes, hydrogen would form at the negative electrode.
Original post by Oasis61
I wrote it doesn't have any delocalised electrons?? Would that get any marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure I wrote about ions because it's quite familiar that water has ions but idk whether the mark scheme will accept it? It could do though
Reply 306
Original post by Meegan543210
I'm not sure I wrote about ions because it's quite familiar that water has ions but idk whether the mark scheme will accept it? It could do though

It was ions because water does not have free electrons but in mineral water the ions of calcium, magnesium, sodium etc can carry the charge but they are not present in pure water.
Original post by Zhundo
They could do the experiment at 5 degrees Celsius by putting the conical flask in a water bath heated at 5 degrees Celsius.

I wrote that lol
Original post by Zhundo
It was ions because water does not have free electrons but in mineral water the ions of calcium, magnesium, sodium etc can carry the charge but they are not present in pure water.

Yeah I thought so that's what I wrote
Reply 309
Original post by livileesmith
I put place a lid on beaker to reduce heat loss for the apparatus/more accurate question... Opinions?

I wrote this as well. I wasn't sure if it was right but a few people on here have done the same and they say it is a correct answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 310
Original post by TheAce1
Am I the only one that didnt find it that easy? Im a triple student and I found C3 easier :frown::frown:

Same. I made a few stupid mistakes on here which I could have easily avoided. I found c3 slightly easier, especially the last 5 marker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 311
Original post by dee08
Same. I made a few stupid mistakes on here which I could have easily avoided. I found c3 slightly easier, especially the last 5 marker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Triple science is mandatory at my school FeelsBadMan
Original post by Naco88
Notice: I would like to apologise on my own behalf about getting a question on PH wrong. I put 0 instead of 7. I typed this on my phone so there was bound to be a mistake however I have now checked everything else and it all seems right.
Hello. Welcome to my AQA Chemistry C2 Unofficial mark scheme! Due to the success of my other mark scheme for AQA Biology which got 40k views I will happily do another and look forward to seeing how you guys found the exam.

This mark scheme is made completely by people who have done the exam so is written purely from knowledge. We will try and get the questions in the right order however putting marks next to each is very hard so please do not request this. If you remember a question we forgot then feel free to comment it below or contact me on twitter (@NacoRBLX) and I will be sure to add it.
This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.
It does not contain all answers.

AQA C2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have a few questions of foundation)

Note: Not all the questions are complete
1. Question on Temperature Change
a) 5.75 (do not include the anomaly)
b)
c)
d) How could you change the apparatus to get more accurate results? Use a digital thermometer. It is more accurate.
2. Question on Fertilisers
What is the PH after being neutralized? 7
Percentage by mass: 14+1+1+1 = 17 (14/17) x 100 = 82%
6 Mark Question about a farmer using ammonium nitrate on his crops. The best value to use was around 200kg because the lowest possible amount went into nearby lakes and it produced the maximum profit. Values between 200kg and 300kg would all probably be accepted. The examinors want to see that you can compare values on all graphs and find one which suits them all. Doing this should get you most of the marks.
3. Question on Particles and Nano Particles
Why are nano particles good catalysts? They have a large surface area to volume ratio.
Put the dots/crosses in the diagram to resemble electrons. Put 2 dots/crosses in the overlapping bits and 6 outside of it. There should be 8 in the outer shell of oxygen so getting them in the wrong places but drawing 8 dots/crosses should get you 1 mark out of 2.
H2o.png
4. Reaction experiment (cross under flask)
Why did the liquid go cloudy? Sulfur was produced (see equation) which dissolved in the water.
What should she keep the same? The amounts of each substance used. The person looking at the cross.
How could she do it with a temperature of 5 degrees? Cool the liquid
5. Question on electrolysis (Magnesium Chloride)
Why do the molecules need to be melted or dissolved in water?
The particles need to be able to move so they can get to the electrodes. This also separates them.
Why does magnesium form at the negative electrode?
It is M2+ so it will be attracted to the negative electrode. It will then gain 2 electrons and therefore no longer be an ion.
In experiment 2, magnesium did not form at the negative electrode, why?
The magnesium chloride was dissolved in water so hydrogen atoms are present. These are less reactive than magnesium so will form.
6. Question on materials
How does copper conduct electricity? It has free electrons in its structure which can flow through when a current is applied.
Why is diamond very hard to break? Diamond is hard because it has lots of strong covalent bonds which are hard to break.
Why would you use thermosetting polymers in pan handles? They are strong and heat resistant. They have a high melting point.
Predicted grade boundaries will come soon.
Note: The question parts may not be in the right order.
This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

Grade Boundary Predictions

These are completely my predictions, we have decided that it was a fairly
easy paper so our boundaries are fairly high.

A* - 49 marks

A - 42 marks

B - 32 marks

C - 25 marks

Keep an ion this mark scheme. Hopefully it will get a good reaction... All the good jokes argon...
Oh god the puns... I'm starting to sound like a CGP textbook...

If you did the B2 exam on Friday, we have the mark scheme for that as well!

For 1d you could also put a lid on the flask to reduce energy lost as heat and for another thing to keep the same (for a fair test) the concentration of HCl.

Oh and why the magnesium had to be melted/dissolved is so the ions could move and carry and electric current (it's the electrolyte)
Original post by Zhundo

I thought it said how does it compare to the size of an atom, in which case the nano particles are bigger as they contain roughly a few hundred atoms
Reply 314
Original post by th19dbjb
Then u stupid. "Ammonium chloride" was written on that page and it was basic copying.

U grade for you, matey

I know I know I am such a cow -.-
for 1d- if you said use an insulating beaker to help reduce heat loss would you get the marks or is that wrong?
Original post by ellie12*
for 1d- if you said use an insulating beaker to help reduce heat loss would you get the marks or is that wrong?

correct
Reply 317
Original post by Lily_howes127
I thought it said how does it compare to the size of an atom, in which case the nano particles are bigger as they contain roughly a few hundred atoms

I can't remember, but they usually ask in comparison to regular particles. In this case I think they asked in relation to regular particles of the catalyst. I'm really not sure though because I can't remember haha
How did you find it @ahhn9?:h: Was it better than your biology exam as you were really upset about it?:smile: I am sure you have done extremely well! Have you revised for textiles yet?:wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zhundo

**** I put 1-100nm has the mark gone:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending