The Student Room Group

How Hard Is Maths A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Thank god I won't be doing this God damn AQA Board...
Original post by Jamie Vardy
@Tinka99 just ignore @1jonam16. He's just jealous that you're capable and is trying to put you off. A B grade is more than enough. A-level Maths is useful in terms of employment opportunities.

Good luck!

A B grade is obviously not "more than enough". It's more or less the minimum.

People have different ceilings when it comes to subjects like Maths. For people who mostly do STEM subjects, Maths usually is a breeze even at A-level. For me it wasn't, but poor work ethic played a big role in that.

Establish a good work ethic and you should be fine OP. Try and get at least an A but a B isn't too bad because some do even better at A-level. Don't leave it last minute like I did and get an E. I'm resitting this year and C1 and C2 are way easier this time around because I improved my work ethic a lot since then.
Original post by Rampage
I just about scraped an A in it and it was difficult but not impossible.

C1 was very easy.
C2/S1/M1 was okay.
C3 was a big step up and the harder questions were really challenging for me
C4 was easier than C3 for me, but only just.

I think it depends on how good you are at solving problems.
If you have a natural talent for maths (which is usually evident from GCSE, those who FLEW through GCSE at my school were good at a-level, even though it's massively different), then with a good work ethic you should be fine.
I'd agree with rampage, except found c3 lots easier than c4. And hated the applied modules full stop.
Work at it and you can do well essentially. Also depends on what concepts you find challenging (vectors in c4 for me :/ ).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bulletzone
Thank god I won't be doing this God damn AQA Board...

What's bad about it?
*cracks knuckles*

I've spent 5 years doing A-Levels. 4 of those trying to do maths. Wasn't getting anywhere when I was doing it, I finally gave up and did something completely different.

You can either do it or you can't (and I'm just a stubborn bstard)
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
What's bad about it?

In general I just do not like the way everything is carried out, Look at OCR and stuff like that, they may be more difficult, but my friends and even I have seen from papers they are better.
Thought it was decent , well ive nearly finished my maths A level as i have my last maths exam on Friday!:smile: still got exams till 29th June though:frown:
Original post by LearnForYOU
A Levels are overrated lmao, unless you went to get into medicine or something across that field science is good if you want to get in to uni.

Universities don't care about your subjects with exceptions of some specific ones, they just care about the GRADES. I'd chose the most easiest A Levels bang out A/A*'s and get in to an amazing university and do the course you love...

Simple. Don't put so much stress on your self, enjoy your summer don't even look at work!

Negative. Im sure Pretty sure Cambridge would favour someone who got 3A*s in Maths, Physics and Economics, rather than someone who got 3 A*s in subjects like English, History and Drama xD
Original post by HeimIX
Negative. Im sure Pretty sure Cambridge would favour someone who got 3A*s in Maths, Physics and Economics, rather than someone who got 3 A*s in subjects like English, History and Drama xD

If you're looking to do a STEM degree obviously universities would be looking for STEM A levels rather than History or English. If you're looking at a degree in History, Geography, Law etc universities are really not gonna give a damn about you not having STEM A levels. Someone with History, English and Drama would stand the same chance of getting into Cambridge for a History degree as would someone maybe with Maths, Physics, and Economics as there is no specific requirement for STEM subjects.
Original post by Tinka99
If you're looking to do a STEM degree obviously universities would be looking for STEM A levels rather than History or English. If you're looking at a degree in History, Geography, Law etc universities are really not gonna give a damn about you not having STEM A levels. Someone with History, English and Drama would stand the same chance of getting into Cambridge for a History degree as would someone maybe with Maths, Physics, and Economics as there is no specific requirement for STEM subjects.

Ah, i see.
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
Give your opinion whether you have studied it or not :smile:

hard at first, but you do get used to it, trust me.
Original post by 34908seikj
First paper harder than the second, however I should have done better in both. I dropped around 4 marks for misreading questions and silly mistakes, while on paper two I dropped 8 for said reason. I still should get an A* though since I got a minimum of 85 on the first paper and 92 on the second.

All-in-all a fairly nice paper.

Thats sort of like me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Just be positive. If u want 2 do it go 4 it. Only your opinion matters.
Original post by Shc
Just be positive. If u want 2 do it go 4 it. Only your opinion matters.

Already studying it at A2 now haha. Got A at AS and predicted A*
Reply 114
Um I got an A* in maths at GCSE but found yr12 awful so plan to drop it for yr13. My point is that GCSE maths is vdifferent to a level, so u do need to put the work in and make sure u understand everything otherwise U’ll fall behind.
Original post by Zacken
It'll depend on the person, obviously, but since you asked for personal opinion:

It's a joke. It requires zero thought, mathematical creativity or ingenuity. Literally a free A*A*. (with FM included)

If it was the old spec alevel maths I'd agree with you 100%. It's a piss easy subject that requires literally almost no thought. However, they've made it quite a bit more difficult in the new spec, getting rid of those easy multiple part questions and putting more emphasis on the applications of maths, even in the pure maths papers.. Further maths was always quite hard in my opinion. It just required a bit more work than single maths however the new spec has made it even harder by adding questions that require more thought and planning. An example woukd be with volume of revolution, you now have to apply that knowledge onto real life situations and be able to make accurate and sensible estimates before even starting the question. I'm currently doing both and even though I find single maths quite easy, mainly thanks to further maths, both subjects are harder than what the old spec had to offer.

Quick Reply

Latest