The Student Room Group

Reapplying for Medicine with achieved grades <AAA

So this year I applied for Medicine but after two interviews I didn't manage to get a place so I'll be taking a gap year. I'm in the middle of my exams at the moment and to be honest, they're not going very well. Despite working really hard all year, had appendicitis in the middle of May and so lost about ten days revision time from being ill beforehand and recovering from the operation at hospital and at home - just in time for my first AS Chemistry resit in the last week of May.

Hopefully I'll get special consideration for my exams because of the operation as I'm way behind on my revision. My French exam was a bust, and my Bio and Chem exams in the coming week terrify me.

I realise that this is all hypothetical but whether I'll actually achieve AAA is becoming less and less likely by the exam. So I have some questions for people who have been in this position (now that you've got to the end of this ramble):

- Will a medical school consider my application with achieved AAB?
- Will they consider having appendicitis in the run up to exams as 'extenuating circumstances' and maybe consider a lower grade offer?

For context, my UKCAT score this year was 685 and I regularly volunteer at a hospice, was Head Girl at my school, and hope to secure a job as a science technician at a school this year.

Thank you for the help. I realise that I probably won't get the answer I'm hoping for but any answer will help me stop stressing about my future.

TL;DR: Can I get into med school with AAB achieved grades?
Reply 1
It's unlikely you'd get a straight offer if you don't meet the required grades, but it can't hurt to ask unis if they'd consider you with less given your circumstances. What's perhaps more likely is that they might consider you as a resit candidate if you redid some exams next year - you'll have to contact each one and ask though!

Good luck with the rest of your exams.
I'd ask for my doctor to not have AAB
Original post by govandpolitics
I'd ask for my doctor to not have AAB

Plenty of doctors have Bs and Cs at a-level. Its more associated with competition than ability to do medicine.
Original post by ForestCat
Plenty of doctors have Bs and Cs at a-level. Its more associated with competition than ability to do medicine.

Scary thought.
Original post by govandpolitics
Scary thought.

It really isn't.
Original post by ForestCat
It really isn't.

Each to their own.
Original post by Helenia
It's unlikely you'd get a straight offer if you don't meet the required grades, but it can't hurt to ask unis if they'd consider you with less given your circumstances. What's perhaps more likely is that they might consider you as a resit candidate if you redid some exams next year - you'll have to contact each one and ask though!

Good luck with the rest of your exams.

For some reason I didn't get a notification through about your post so sorry for the late reply! Thanks for getting back to me, it's good to know that all is not lost. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending