The Student Room Group

International NON EU Student Financial Crisis

Hiya!

I have an unconditional offer for MA International Relations and Diplomacy at SOAS and not enough money to cover everything - the course itself costs 19000 GBP
There were these scholarships I was sort of counting on but ended up getting funding from other institutions instead. I was wondering if any of you guys know of any private loan companies for international students in the UK (or international students anywhere). I am trying with my government as well but student loans are not something the Moroccan government does.
Original post by MeriamM
Hiya!

I have an unconditional offer for MA International Relations and Diplomacy at SOAS and not enough money to cover everything - the course itself costs 19000 GBP
There were these scholarships I was sort of counting on but ended up getting funding from other institutions instead. I was wondering if any of you guys know of any private loan companies for international students in the UK (or international students anywhere). I am trying with my government as well but student loans are not something the Moroccan government does.

You are best off deferring entry and working to make up the shortfall or going to a cheaper university. There is one private loan company in the UK that I'm aware of but their rates are extortionate and they require you to repay whilst studying. They also require a UK based guarantor.
I'd go for deferring like jelly said. Will the degree help you get a job that pays enough to make the repayments?
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
You are best off deferring entry and working to make up the shortfall or going to a cheaper university. There is one private loan company in the UK that I'm aware of but their rates are extortionate and they require you to repay whilst studying. They also require a UK based guarantor.

Thanks Jelly! I didn't actually know it was possible to defer university offers. I'm considering that. It might be worth it as I'll get an extra twelve months to find funding and save more money. The only thing that sort of worries me is that I've just finished my gap year and I don't want another year off to affect my academic records.
Cheers x
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
I'd go for deferring like jelly said. Will the degree help you get a job that pays enough to make the repayments?

Hi Tiger! Thanks a lot. It's actually a good degree for people who want an internationally-oriented career and the course itself has a good academic reputation, but I'm doing a phd after that, so I think it's important to consider what you said.
Original post by MeriamM
Thanks Jelly! I didn't actually know it was possible to defer university offers. I'm considering that. It might be worth it as I'll get an extra twelve months to find funding and save more money. The only thing that sort of worries me is that I've just finished my gap year and I don't want another year off to affect my academic records.
Cheers x

Yes it definitley is. You have to write to university admissions asking if they'll hold the place for a year but they rarely say no. Another year out won't hurt your academic record at all, very few people go straight on from undergraduate to postgraduate study in the UK. I was one of only 3 people who had out of 12 on my course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending