The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

I highly doubt it too but I wanted to check it out since there must only be about 17K actually doing maths and it's already nearly at 6K, that's mad!

Original post by 1TrueMeaning
AQA have previously suggested that we do not sign/start petitions:
An AQA spokesman said: 'Exams aren’t meant to be easy and students are obviously going to talk about that on social media, but everything in the paper was on the syllabus.'There’s no need for anyone to worry about grade boundaries because these aren’t decided until we’ve marked all the papers and know how everyone got on.'If it looks like students did find this exam especially difficult, the grade boundaries will reflect that so no need for petitions.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3642863/Over-2-500-students-parents-express-outrage-ridiculous-chemistry-level-slipped-sly-9-mark-question-right-end.html#ixzz4BgCnBpcm
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

They said that they will only decide on the grade boundaries after seeing all papers. Baring that in mind - as the petition has gained over 5000 signatories I am hopeful that loads of people have screwed up. This would mean that the grade boundaries should be low.

Here is the petition anyway: https://www.change.org/p/aqa-lower-grade-boundaries-for-mpc3

Yeah I assumed it wouldn't be really worth it but it's good to see the bare amount of us that struggled, it'll give a better idea as to how the grade boundaries will be I guess. I did that chem paper yesterday too. Lost my A grade in Chem yesterday, lost my A grade in Maths today..I love AQA
Original post by jake4198
It is really not the point. I have been averaging A*s in all of thr past papers, yet the best I can hope for now is a low B. If I was going to get an A* in maths I was relying on Core 3. I have now not just not met my offer, but Im probably going into clearing. For AQA to simply say "exams are meant to be hard" is both obtuse and infuriating.

I second that. A petition is there to make a point.
Reply 1162
Anyone's got the unofficial mark scheme link? Can't seem to find it:frown:
Anybody got a link to the paper yet? I haven't been able to see it as the college I'm at now don't teach it. Having read a lot of the comments, I'd like to have a good look at it...
Hey, I ain't AQA. I'm in the same boat as you though.

I'm sorry,
Hey, I ain't AQA. I'm in the same boat as you though.

I'm sorry, but I'll take any opportunity to take a dig at someone given my mood at the minute.

I need an A* in maths for my offer, and I don't have an insurance. If C4 is a repeat of C3, I can say goodbye to a Russel Group and hello to Textile Studies at Bath Spa.
Original post by jjing
Anyone's got the unofficial mark scheme link? Can't seem to find it:frown:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B65hjUWVWyZIQUdHcUM5ZWEyQVU

My answers to some of the longer ones
I get exams are ment to be hard, but atleast test us on the knowledge in the book we have learned. For some people its difficult to apply knowledge (e.g. me) I have to work so hard at things, I worked 3 months in advance for this exam.. atleast 4-5 questions I have never ever seen before when I've done every question in two big AQA books. Please please C4 be nice
Reply 1168
Original post by Pangol
The draft versions have just been published, but you won't be able to identify the C3 or C4 part as the structure of the course has changed considerably.

That's my entire point, I know the course is changing, so why would anyone want the specimen papers for a paper that's not even going to be sat yet?
Original post by Yo12345
New spec or current?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its fine i found the old spec ones but thanks dolllll
RIP Bath University.
Original post by SunDun111
I get exams are ment to be hard, but atleast test us on the knowledge in the book we have learned. For some people its difficult to apply knowledge (e.g. me) I have to work so hard at things, I worked 3 months in advance for this exam.. atleast 4-5 questions I have never ever seen before when I've done every question in two big AQA books. Please please C4 be nice

I can see where they're coming from by saying that exams should be at least a bit challenging, and it's like this to discriminate amongst the best students. I think, however, that papers should be of a consistent difficulty for that specification. I haven't seen the whole of the C3 paper but it sounds similar to the M3 and FP3 papers in terms of unusually high difficulty, which I agree is unfair, because you could argue that students from previous years have gained the same qualification from a significantly easier paper with less stress in the exam. But I think grade boundaries should be lowered significantly if everyone has found it difficult.
Original post by jake4198
It is really not the point. I have been averaging A*s in all of thr past papers, yet the best I can hope for now is a low B. If I was going to get an A* in maths I was relying on Core 3. I have now not just not met my offer, but Im probably going into clearing. For AQA to simply say "exams are meant to be hard" is both obtuse and infuriating.

I'm the same as you but I average As and I'll be lucky with a C/D considering I spent a good twenty minutes crying then asked to leave. I didn't even look at question 9.

The comment AQA made really wound me up. If you prepare as much as some people did for this, if you average amazing grades, if you use every resource they provide you with, you don't just forget how to do that in an exam. You don't just happen to drop from an A to a D because it was a bit hard. Surely if you're an A standard pupil, making it difficult would suggest you would go down maybe 6-8 marks. I'm fairly certain I have done 20 marks worse than I would have in any other core3 paper.
Used the wrong limits on the substitution question but the rest of the working up to that is correct, would you guys say 5 or 6 out of 7?
Praying for C4 to actually be like the past papers
I got about a C in this one I'm pretty sure.
The course I applied for doesn't even allow resits so if I don't get an A overall i'm ****ed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hopefully AQA mark the stuff I crossed out. I out at the bottom of a page 'could you mark the part that's crossed out?' Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mowerharvey
Gutting. This was my second attempt at core 3 and it's possible that I've done even worse than last year

Same here. Last year I experienced an awful turn of events - lost 4 UMS on a remark and I think I've done even worse than that.
The fact that before the exam i was totally planning to rely on my core 3 result since between core 4 and core 3 i thought it was the easier paper... shame, i really wanted to go to my firm. It's so upsetting. :frown:
This is my predicted grade boundaries:Total = 75
A*= 6
A= 5
B= 4
C= 3
D= 2
E= 1
Original post by asgdgh
Feel you, I got an A in AS. I have 6 exams left and I couldn't care less any more. If core 3 was this hard why even bother revising for FP2

Oh snap! What are they spew out for that exam? I need to do more fp2 asap. To be fair though, fp4 wasnt that bad, and i heard fp1 today was easy, so not guaranteed fp2 will be impossible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending