The Student Room Group

German Edexcel A2 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EBQ
Im studying literature and arts, focusing on the 'Goodbye Lenin' film but not sure what else could be asked in this topic other than what's already been asked in previous year. Any suggestions/ predictions??

They haven't asked us to compare 2 scenes or events so that might come up
Original post by EBQ
Im studying literature and arts, focusing on the 'Goodbye Lenin' film but not sure what else could be asked in this topic other than what's already been asked in previous year. Any suggestions/ predictions??

I'm doing 'Das leben der Anderen' and some people have said they could just repeat one they've already done (not historical influences tho Probs as that came up last year), but I noticed on the French one they asked about 'background / minor' characters. I'm hoping for a lovely one on character or development or scene but who knows
Reply 42
Original post by tillybbb
I'm doing 'Das leben der Anderen' and some people have said they could just repeat one they've already done (not historical influences tho Probs as that came up last year), but I noticed on the French one they asked about 'background / minor' characters. I'm hoping for a lovely one on character or development or scene but who knows

a specific scene or technique would be ideal, but you can never know really
Reply 43
What kind of question would it ask about the author? I personally know nothing about Bernhard Schlink for "Der Vorleser"
Reply 44
Something about the author's background influencing the text maybe, or relevance to the present time or something. I've been trying to think up all possible Qs:s-smilie:
Reply 45
Original post by Ilham007
They haven't asked us to compare 2 scenes or events so that might come up

What on earth do you say about Good Bye Lenin for this?!
Original post by pecora
What on earth do you say about Good Bye Lenin for this?!

Chose 2 scenes for example the "Geburtstagsfeier" und die "datsche Ausflug" you would say that one is used at the start of the film and other one is at the end to help us understand the historical background in east Germany during and after the reunification.

In the birthday party everything was a lie :
The Coca Cola advert - Coca Cola is a social drink
The basket with products (fake products which Alex represents as East German products)
The signing pioneer

In the datscheszene everything is about the truth:
Christiane tells of fathers political problems
Father wrote letters
He didn't leave for another woman

Comparing the lies in the first scene with the truths of the second scene we understand the two sides of east Germany

Hope that helps xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 47
Chose 2 scenes for example the "Geburtstagsfeier" und die "datsche Ausflug" you would say that one is used at the start of the film and other one is at the end to help us understand the historical background in east Germany during and after the reunification.

In the birthday party everything was a lie :
The Coca Cola advert - Coca Cola is a social drink
The basket with products (fake products which Alex represents as East German products)
The signing pioneer

In the datscheszene everything is about the truth:
Christiane tells of fathers political problems
Father wrote letters
He didn't leave for another woman

Comparing the lies in the first scene with the truths of the second scene we understand the two sides of east Germany

Hope that helps xD

YES. MASSIVELY. Also, I'd add that the two scenes are still similar because in theory they are still in the DDR, Alex is still lying and Alex now feels even worse about his lies because his mum came clean.
Original post by pecora
YES. MASSIVELY. Also, I'd add that the two scenes are still similar because in theory they are still in the DDR, Alex is still lying and Alex now feels even worse about his lies because his mum came clean.

Ah nice one, I just hope they don't ask a question about director and characters like Dennis or Lara
Reply 49
Ah nice one, I just hope they don't ask a question about director and characters like Dennis or Lara

The director question would make me cry on the spot. There is NOTHING about the guy on the internets, we don't even know if he's married or not! I read like 5 interviews but they are all the same. Pointless.
Original post by pecora
The director question would make me cry on the spot. There is NOTHING about the guy on the internets, we don't even know if he's married or not! I read like 5 interviews but they are all the same. Pointless.

That's all I can find lol :
Der Regisseur Wolfgang Becker studierte nach dem Abitur am Friedrich-Leopold-Woeste-Gymnasium in Berlin Germanistik, Geschichte und Amerikanistik. Anschließend studierte er noch an der Deutschen Film- und Fernsehakademie in Berlin, wo er mit seinem Abschlussfilm Schmetterlinge erstmals auffiel. Dieser Film erhielt sowohl den Student Academy Award als bester Studentenfilm als auch den Goldenen Leoparden beim Filmfestival von Locarno.
Reply 51
Anyone doing Der Vorleser? ? Do you know anything about the author?
Reply 52
That's all I can find lol :
Der Regisseur Wolfgang Becker studierte nach dem Abitur am Friedrich-Leopold-Woeste-Gymnasium in Berlin Germanistik, Geschichte und Amerikanistik. Anschließend studierte er noch an der Deutschen Film- und Fernsehakademie in Berlin, wo er mit seinem Abschlussfilm Schmetterlinge erstmals auffiel. Dieser Film erhielt sowohl den Student Academy Award als bester Studentenfilm als auch den Goldenen Leoparden beim Filmfestival von Locarno.

Yes, he also visited East Belin in the 80s many times, and took 7 years to make GBL because he wanted to first have in-depth interviews with the people who lived in that era.
Original post by pecora
Yes, he also visited East Belin in the 80s many times, and took 7 years to make GBL because he wanted to first have in-depth interviews with the people who lived in that era.

Good luck !!
How did everyone find the exam today ?
Original post by aliaahmad
How did everyone find the exam today ?

Translation was average, discursive was hard, literature question was weird with the aims question😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hii guys, how did you find the exam?

I found that translation was good - easy accessible topic area- university/university fees, i'd assume this is what most people are looking to go to anyway, so in this aspect, the translation was nice for me :biggrin:

Discursive essay was a bit tricky. Not really topic areas i'd go through (i mean come on, benefits, and tourism?? - that's surely what 18 year olds spend talking about nowadays to people. ._.). i did the media one as i found it the easiest.

Literature question was a massive wtf moment with first glance. Did anyone else do Das Leben der Anderen??
Reply 57
Original post by Mandaiixo
Hii guys, how did you find the exam?

I found that translation was good - easy accessible topic area- university/university fees, i'd assume this is what most people are looking to go to anyway, so in this aspect, the translation was nice for me :biggrin:

Discursive essay was a bit tricky. Not really topic areas i'd go through (i mean come on, benefits, and tourism?? - that's surely what 18 year olds spend talking about nowadays to people. ._.). i did the media one as i found it the easiest.

Literature question was a massive wtf moment with first glance. Did anyone else do Das Leben der Anderen??

I actually loved the discursive topics, I did the Arbeitslosen, becuse I felt like I could be most scientific in that area.

I didn't lo DLDA, I did Good Bye Lenin and for me at least the question was a blessing. I'm worried I went over the word limit though, Like 280-290 and this is with all the quotes and real nouns subtracted.
Original post by pecora
I actually loved the discursive topics, I did the Arbeitslosen, becuse I felt like I could be most scientific in that area.

I didn't lo DLDA, I did Good Bye Lenin and for me at least the question was a blessing. I'm worried I went over the word limit though, Like 280-290 and this is with all the quotes and real nouns subtracted.

Tbh i was hoping somethin like the euros or immigration or terrorism came up, since they encourage us to research and read current world affairs. It would've been quite a topical question since the eu referendum is in about two weeks :P but hey I guess maybe hey set these papers like right at e beginning when the specification comes out ._.
I did Das Leben der Anderen and I definitely had a wtf moment when I first saw the film question!! I had just never thought of the film in that way, with a character and his goals? Hopefully it was okay...

And the discursives annoyed me as none of them were real topics that we'd covered in class, ended up going with tourismus which was alright in the end, I think.

As for the translation, I always find translations difficult as was the case here, I just didn't know some of the specific phrases such as 'is it worth it' and some of the smaller words I struggled with too.

After the initial shock of some weird questions though, I think overall it was alright!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending